UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me! My lovely little cat (aged 13, with chronic kidney failure but doing well) is refusing to enter rooms in our house following a flea infestation.

We are convinced there are no longer any fleas following three separate treatments using a fleakiller purchased from the vet. Our other (Tom) cat is perfectly happy to use all the rooms, but she just won't leave the kitchen - which has new flooring.

We sometimes take her into the living room and she'll sit there for a minunte or so before running out again. It's obviously stressing her.

I've tried taking her food in (she nibbles it and runs back out), treats, catnip... everything she enjoys... to no avail.

She has slept on the bed next to me almost every night since she was a kitten. Now she won't even come into the bedroom. It's breaking my heart, but more importantly, it's affecting her quality of life too.

Any similar stories/suggestions gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
just because you cannot smell the treatment.. your cats can..

she probably will venture in.. in her own time, dont force the issue with her or you will stress her more..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I am aware that cats can probably smell something I can't, as they obviously have a heightened sense of smell compared to us poor humans. As I said, the Tom cat is unbothered, so that was why I thought the smell had disappeared.

I am certainly not forcing the issue. As someone who has lived with cats for almost 50 years, I know that a cat will do only what it wants to. I was merely trying to coax her in with treats, etc, in the hope that she would stay.

I'm sure you're right and that she will come in on her own eventually. Guess I'm just being one of those old softie, impatient, needing her pet to be happy again cat lovers.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks catcoonz. No, I don't think it's a mad idea at all. We did try carrying her into the living rooom and upstairs (where she leapt straight onto the bed), but that did seem to stress her, so we stopped.

It's so frustrating to see her lying on the kitchen window sill when the other cat's lying on the settee in the living room, but I guess we'll just have to sit tight and be patient.

Thank you for your suggestion!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.