Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat won't eat after dental surgery

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Meg Christmas, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Meg Christmas

Meg Christmas PetForums Newbie

Hello! My 12 year old cat had a lot of teeth extracted about a week and a half ago (I believe she has three left) - immediately following her surgery she was on antibiotics and painkillers, and was eating wet food, as she usually has dry.

She was very hungry for a couple of days, and then was sick and stopped eating for a few days - we tried her again with her dry food and she was happy with that for a while, but now has stopped eating almost entirely! She had a check up where we mentioned this, and we have another one on Tuesday, but we're very concerned. She's the most food obsessed cat you could meet, and it's like she's lost all interest now. We try her with treats, and she can sort of manage a few if you break them up very small, and she is capable of eating - she just doesn't seem bothered!

Would welcome any advice you could offer - I'm going to call the vets on Monday but they're closed until then. She's recently been on a diet and is a large cat, so presumably has enough energy stored to keep her going for a bit. We're just worried! Other than this she's absolutely normal - still drinking lots and behaving exactly the same - just without the eating!

2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Leaving the call until Monday is too long imo. She might be a big cat but needs to eat to keep her system moving normally. So I’d give the vet a call. A cat not eating is never a good sign. Hope all ok.

Forester, Cully and buffie like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Your vets surgery maybe closed but if you are in the UK they have to provide Out of Hours cover for emergencies and this really shouldn't be left until Monday.
    Cats can become seriously ill if they don't eat for long periods , the fact that your cat is a bit on the large side makes no difference .
    Please ring your vets for advice today .

Forester, Cully and Soozi like this.
  4. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

This doesn't sound right and you should get in touch with a vet a s.a.p.
    Meanwhile it could be a sore mouth preventing her from eating, especially dry food. Try cat soups. Is she drinking?
    It really needs urgent attention.

Soozi likes this.
  5. Moglets

Moglets PetForums Junior

Yes, ring a vet. There is bound to be a 24h emergency service somewhere. It isn't just the not eating but the cause of it. If she has an infection she'll need urgent treatment. There really isn't time to waste.

Do try semi-liquid food, too. Gourmet make little tins of cat pâté & most supermarkets sell it. Add enough water to make it a slurry, like thick soup. One of mine loves it anyway & another not too well cat with dental problems laps it up as well.

Soozi likes this.
  6. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

If the vet gave Convenia you may find your cat won't eat until it has worked it's way out of the body, they give it as an easy option but will never agree that it might have caused a problem.

It was on our records NO CONVENIA after the first experience. It sometimes made it more inconvenient as we had to return for injections of a shorter duration but never had the problem with other a/bs. It is called Convenia because it is just 'convenient'.

If there is an infection then it didn't work anyway, I hope your cat is OK.

Soozi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice