Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat won't clean her kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by beforeiforget, May 29, 2017.

1. beforeiforget

beforeiforget PetForums Newbie

Our cat gave birth a couple a days ago... All the kittens are nursing and gaining weight... she is licking them, which causes them to pee and poop, but she won't clean them... I've tried turning the kittens butt to her, but she refuses to clean them... She is not a clean cat herself, one can very rearly see her cleaning her eyes or butt... so for now, we are trying as much as we can to clean kittens fur, but it is still yellowish from the poop... the color of the poop is brown and normal consistency, not too runny, not too hard, best comparison is like a toothpaste. Anyone had the same situation? How can we convince her to clean them?

2. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

Have you had her teeth checked?

3. beforeiforget

Teeth are normal... she is licking them, but only when they are clean...

4. beforeiforget

She is also acting normal, eating, drinking water, going to litter, she has no fever, diarrhea, etc...

5. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

Look, I'm no expert and there are others on here who know far more, but I'd be concerned that she doesn't keep herself clean or her kittens. I'd be looking for a physical reason first (even a sore in the mouth could mean that certain things hurt). As usual, I'd advise a chat with the vet in case there's something going on that's preventing her.

#5 SpringDance, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
  6. beforeiforget

Vet did checked her a couple months ago, before breeding, and gave us a green light, so we mate her... We've also done genetic tests before breeding, all is normal... I am so puzzled...

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If I've read this right you've bred a cat who doesn't clean herself, now she isn't cleaning her kittens. I would try a dab of butter of something else yummy on them.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Most cats are fastidious about grooming themselves but there are some who are just not very good at it. They seem to do the essentials and leave the 'fiddly bits'.

Poor grooming can be a sign of a cat being stressed by something, or depressed. But if your cat has always been like this since she was a kitten then it is perhaps more likely to be a genetic trait in her particular line. (If she is a BSH it is certainly not common amongst that breed to be poor groomers).

OrientalSlave has given good advice on how to get mum to clean her kittens. :)

Hopefully you are not planning to breed this queen again now this problem has emerged.

9. beforeiforget

Update, we moved her and babies to more darker and quieter place, it has been several days now, and she loves it, she is cleaning her babies, everything is ok!

chillminx and OrientalSlave like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice