Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat wont chew food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Emma32, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Emma32

Emma32 PetForums Member

My cat has been home for about 5 days now, and I've been feeding him on dry food twice a day. I've noticed that when he eats he doesn't crunch the food up, just swallows it. He doesn't do it all the time though.
    It could be that, as he was a stray, he might think that he has a limited time to eat it, or that we might take it away from him.
    Any ideas?

2. an4rew

an4rew PetForums Newbie

he wants wet food.

3. Antw23uk

Antw23uk PetForums Junior

Hey Emma
    Chances are its because of his past. He will settle down and start chewing when he realises there will be more food as and when he wants it.. Thats the wonderful thing about strays,, most of them can be so gratful its heart warming :D

Any reason why your only feeding dried food?

4. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

is he a bigish cat, only reason i ask is because Dream my maine coon dosent chew dry food all the time sometimes swallows it but then chews other times.* He only gets it as a treat every other day hes mainly on raw and wet food.

5. Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie PetForums Member

I've seen many cats who don't chew their food. It's not likely to be a sign of a medical problem at all. You should have nothing to worry about!

Dr. Marie.
    I browse the forum from time to time, but if you would like to talk to me now, you can reach me at www.askavetquestion.com.

6. Emma32

Emma32 PetForums Member

Yeah he is quite a big cat.
    He's chewing it more now, pretty much all of the time now.
    And he gets wet food once a week :)

7. marianne

marianne PetForums Member

Mine don't always chew their food either. Milo in particular. Anyone have a good wet food their cats like? Mine seem to lick the gravy and leave the meat. Although sometimes they'll eat the meat after it dries up a bit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice