Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat with overactive thyroid

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by carol-ann 2469, May 5, 2010.

1. carol-ann 2469

carol-ann 2469 PetForums Newbie

my cat has a overactive thyroid,she is not keeping the weight on even thought i feed her wet meat and leave iams biscuits out all day.the problem is she doesnt eat her all her food more like just nibbles at it.did read somewhere that if i give her kitten food that it would put the weight on even thought she nibbles.she goes for another nibble after a sleep and when its quiet.can feel her spine which is not nice.i gave her fish from fish shop but needing something thats going to put the weight on even thought she nibbles her food.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! Do you have any medication to control your cat's hyperthyroidism? If she is eating but not putting on weight then it almost sounds as though that it is not being controlled properly.

There is very little difference between kitten and adult food. If you are looking for a fatty, good quality dry food, then check out orijens. Although it appears a wee bit more expensive at first, you don't actually need to feed an awful lot.

I personally don't feed dry food - as cats really are not natural drinkers, which they would need to be with dry food that is deplete of any moisture.

In terms of wet food, what are you currently feeding?

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Can she have the op?

Simba is like a new cat since he had his removed & a little chubby now :thumbup:

4. carol-ann 2469

yes,she taking tablets.shes to go for a blood test in 2 wks,they know if the tablets shes on just now are the right ones.where do you get orijens from,never heard of the stuff.

5. carol-ann 2469

dont really have alot of money ,alot of dept maybe so had to go with cheapest option

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Sorry, I was just wondering whether the dosage needs to be adjusted. Some cats also don't respond well to medication, in which case, as Dally Banjo suggested, they may need to remove the thyroid completely. Your vet will know more once the bloods come back.

Re orijen, there are a few places where you can get it. They do a little trial pack for under £4.

Orijen Cat Kitten Orijen Cat for Sale
    Orijen Cat | Orijen Pet Foods .co.uk
    ORIJEN Cat Food: Great Deals on ORIJEN Dog Food at zooplus

As I said, it appears to be expensive when you first look at it but a bag lasts for quite a while.

7. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Your vet may let you pay by instalments for the op, hope the new food helps in the meantime :)

8. carol-ann 2469

yes,petplanets got it. whats with all this fruit and veg in it.looks like its in biscuit form.is there not something in wet form.the vet might let me pay up by instalments but havent given the pills a chance yet.shes only really been taking them for two weeks.i changed my vet because i didnt trust them they gave me the pills she is on now. after 2wks of taking them she started being sick so i threw them.this time shes not being sick with them and there the same pills.i dont know why.the vet im with now said to give after food and its been fine.theres been abit of time between the two vets.so i dont know why she was being sick the first time

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yup, they contain quite a few herbs and fruit - according to the manufacturers these botanicals soothe, nourish and tone the digestive tract while strengthening the liver. But what's up with all the maize, wheat in Iams? And only min 26% meat compared to 75% and no wheat/grain. Yes, they are in biscuity form.

Re wet, that's why I asked you what you currently feed? If you are looking for something that is high in protein and higher in fat, then check out

- Natures Menu (11% crude protein, 6% crude fat) and a 70% meat content.
    - HiLife Essential - the fish ones have a good fat content, the meaty ones don't (apart from the giblets one)
    - Bozita (if you don't mind ordering online) - tetrapacks 9% crude protein, 4% crude fat and 93% meat; the Bozita tins (a pate) have slighty more protein (10%) and fat (5%) and have 97% meat content.

A lot of commercial cat food doesn't contain the recommended amount of fat (~5%)
    Since you are already feeding her raw fish occasionally, how about also feeding her some raw chicken, or red meat, such as lamb or beef?

But I don't think your cat is skinny because she is not getting enough fat, I think your cat is skinny because the meds need to kick in (as you say it has only been 2 weeks), need to be adjusted or the thyroid needs to be taken out.

#9 hobbs2004, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  10. carol-ann 2469

didnt know all that stuff was in iams,thought it was all fish.she likes the fish one.do you know whats in the felix/whiskers wet food.

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

This is what is in IAMS adult ocean fish: Chicken meal, maize, wheat, animal fat, ocean fish (>4%), dried beet pulp, chicken digest, dried whole egg, potassium chloride, brewer's dried yeast, calcium carbonate, fish oil, DL-methionine, sodium chloride.

Felix and Whiskas? They each contain so many different types of food that it is hard to give a blanket response. For example,

- Whiskas gravy with chicken contains: Meat and Animal Derivatives (including min. 4% Chicken), Cereals, Vegetable Protein Extracts, Minerals. (8% crude protein, 4.5% crude fat)

- Whiskas Meat Selection chicken with jelly contains: Meat and Animal Derivatives (Including Min. 4% Duck), Vegetable Protein Extracts, Minerals.8.5% crude protein, 5% crude fat

- Felix As Good as It Looks with chicken: Meat and animal derivatives (of which chicken 4%), vegetable protein extract, fish and fish derivatives, minerals, various sugars. Coloured with EC additives (14% crude protein, 2.5% crude fat)

- Felix Sensations Fish Selection - with salmon: Meat and Animal Derivatives, Vegetable Protein Extracts, Fish and Fish Derivatives (of which Salmon min. 4%, Shrimp min. 1%), Minerals. Coloured with EC Additives.(14% crude protein, 2.5% crude fat)

Compares this to foods that are roughly similar in price: Natures Menu, for example, which contains Chicken min. 43%. Turkey min. 28%. Minerals. Various sugars. Protein: 11.0%; Fat: 6.0%; 300 mg/Kg.

Or Feline Fayre Simply (black sachets) Chicken (46%), Ham (4%), Water, Vegetable Oil, Gelling Agent, Glucose, Minerals.

Or HiLife Tuna Royale: Tuna (min.55%), Jelly, Vitamin & Mineral Supplements. With colourant and preservative (EC additives).

Ok, so they still contain either sugars, some fillers or colourants but the declared meat content is considerably higher.

Hope this makes sense and hope that helps!

12. carol-ann 2469

thanks,think ill be changing the food.just noticed one of her back paws looks swollen shes not limping and doesnt seem bothered,could the pills have something to do with it.

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No, I personally don't think a swollen paw is related. But if you are worried then please consult a vet - they know your cat, know what meds they give you and what the side effects are.

More likely to be that she jumped and landed in a strange way, stepped on something or got stung if she is an outdoor cat.

I would keep an eye on it. If it looks as though she is in pain, then I would definitely take her to the docs.

:thumbup: for changing the food! Hope it all goes well!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice