UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Im hoping you can help me here, one of my cats has started wiping his bottom on the floor after doing a poop, i thought about worms but he was wormed just last month (not sure how often this gets done as my vet told me not to bother again since they were both indoor cats) Ive only noticed him doing it once or twice as hes only now comfortable using the litter tray when we are about. Before he used to wait until we were in another room before using it. Thing is i came down stairs yesterday to find a line on the floor where he wiped himself and it was red with blood. Tonight he sat on the sofa and when he moved again i noticed a spot of blood left behind. Ive had a look and he looks quite sore and there was quite abit of dried blood around him. Is there anything i can try before taking him to the vets? he doesnt travel well and gets very stressed out, we got him from a rescue centre and im sure he thinks hes going back there whenever we take him in the car.

Ok this is turning into a long post... The other problem i have is with the other cat, he keeps missing his litter tray when doing a poop, he basically stands in the tray, then sits on the side and poops on the floor, while still standing in the tray. I noticed that he would never dig in the tray only around the sides/collar part. We changed his litter last week to clumping material and he now seems happy to dig about but he still keeps missing the tray, although its not all the time. Luckily he still uses it fine for weeing in or it would be a major problem.

Any ideas anyone. And thanks if you got to the end of this post.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Hello! Could your cat be constipated? One of my boys drags his bottom along the floor when he is constipated. I wonder whether he could pop a few blood vessels when he is constipated and trying to go if you know what i mean.

Sounds like a case for the vet to check out that. You don't want that end to become infected :eek:

Could you get a tray with higher sides for your other cat? Alternatively, I put a large sheet of newspaper under my trays. If a cat misses then I can just crump it up and throw it out with the sheet of newspaper.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I think a trip to the vets is called for, he doesnt seem constipated, i managed to see him go this afternoon and he didnt appear to have any problems. Stupid question here but can cats get piles?? Ive checked his stools and they look normal with no sign of blood in them and they are a good consistancy, but it seems more like he's tearing himself when he goes. Other than this he's his usual mischiefous self. As to the other cat its not really a problem as such, our kitchen is lino so its real easy to clean up with a nappy bag just abit messy to come home to.

·
Registered
179 Posts
my ragdoll used to wipe his bum on the carpet all the time, getting his anal glands done would help a lot. I think it became a bad habit for him after a while

I always use closed in litter boxes, but take the flap doors off. So much less mess

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.