Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat weights - reassurance needed

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Space Chick, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

OK, so we've had Harry and Sabrina for nearly a year now.

When they arrived Harry weighed 4.2kg and Sabrina 3.9kg. The vet thought these weights were OK.

They were 2 and 3 when they arrived so are now 3 and 4, and they are domestic Moggies.

We've noticed that Sabrina looked to be putting weight on, but she is a greedy girl who supplements her own diet with mice occasionally :eek:

Harry seemed to have lost a bit of weight, but that said, he has gone from being a very scared and withdrawn boy to a happy boy that can spend hours playing.

I weighed them yesterday and Harry has dipped to 3.9kg and Sabrina has gone up to 4.5kg.

We feed them a 200g tin between them of quality wet in the morning (usual German suspects... Grau, Macs etc) and then in the evening they get 150g of raw between them.

Harry also gets a very small amount of dry (about 5-10g a day) as he likes to graze all day between mad bouts of play, Sabrina doesn't like dry so never eats it.

I am concerned that Sabrina is overweight now but don't want to cut back on their food as their coats are amazing, they are a picture of health. Equally I don't want to increase Harry's dry (I reluctantly give it to him as it is), also if I increase their wet, Sabrina will just eat more anyway :rolleyes:

They are cats that take a couple of hours to eat their wet, although the raw tends to be gone in under an hour, so they graze rather than wolf down.

I am right to be concerned about their weights? Or should I relax a bit knowing I have healthy, happy cats?

2. monkeymummy32

monkeymummy32 PetForums VIP

Do you have a recent pic of Sabrina so we can see if she looks overweight?
    I have an overweight cat who has gone from 6.7kg to 5.8kg over the last 3 months or so, with the eventual aim of getting him somewhere between 5-5.5kg. He's a BSH though so quite a large cat anyway but he has never carried his weight well.
    I assume here that you are unable to feed wet food during the day due to work commitments? My suggestion would be cut out all dry (in case she's gobbling it up instead of Harry when you're not looking) and add an extra meal of wet in the afternoon and maybe decrease the size of the other meals for her, so she's eating a bit less overall but spread over more meals to keep her energy levels up and tummy full.
    I'm not sure what to suggest if you're out during the day - maybe someone else can recommend a plan?
    Good luck.

3. Space Chick

We both work full time, so yeah we can't do an additional wet meal.

Shall get OH to take a photo of her.

I know she doesn't eat the dry from being here all the time on the weekends.

Does Harry's weight seem worryingly low? Or Sabrinas concerningly high?

They are going for their annual jabs in a few weeks, so it's going to be interesting to see what the vet says.

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Cats vary hugely in what a healthy weight is because they come in different sizes and shapes. The best way to work out if they are the right weight is to Google for 'condition scoring cats', read through a few results and thenapply what you've read to your cats.

5. Space Chick

Thanks :D from reading through that Harry is ideal and Sabrina is just marginally in the too fat (the first one), so I'm not too worried :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice