Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Water Fountains

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Themis, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

I'm looking to get one for my Cats. I will be leaving them for almost 2 weeks with a pet sitter popping in to check on them :( I'm finding myself wanting to 'abandon proof' them because I have this fear that the pet sitter won't show up. Which is completely ridiculous since I also have one of my friends popping in to check them.

Anyway this may be a silly question but are all cat water fountains electric ie need to be plugged into the mains? Because I don't want to leave any electrical items on while we are away. Possibly another irrational fear but I don't want to leave any chance of an electrical fire. Heck I won't even let my OH charge his toothbrush while we are out at work since I got the Cat's!

And please tell me that I'm not the only one who feels a bit sick at the prospect of going on holiday and leaving their pets behind? My OH thinks I'm being ridiculous because "they are only Cats", but I worry that they will get lonely and think I have abandoned them. :eek:

2. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I also have this concern. I've looked around and all fountains need to be plugged to the mains. I've been planning to make my own fountain with a solar pump, but so far I didn't find one that is small enough. But I may change my mind if someone have a better suggestion (I'm also thinking that a solar powered fountain in Ireland wouldn't work for most part of the year :()

3. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

As far as I'm aware they're all electrical, but even then, they wouldn't last two weeks because they'd run dry :eek:

On the other hand they really are fantastic, my cats and my dog love ours and they drink far more now than before.

Could you get a different pet sitter that you're confident will turn up? I couldn't leave mine with anyone I wasn't 100% about

Em
    xx

4. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

I've not actually met the pet sitter yet. So my nerves aren't based on not being sure about the person it's just me being a worrier!

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Have you thought about a live in house/pet sitter? Living in London means there would be no shortage of candidates willing to take on the 'job'.
    House Sitters & Sitting from Housecarers USA Australia Canada NZ UK worldwide .
    I have had some LOVELY people come to stay in my house on this basis....my own accountant who is semi retired has even taken it up as a hobby for himself, so there are genuine people applying for these sits.

6. thelioncub

thelioncub PetForums Senior

We have this one : - [​IMG]

and it would just about last a couple of weeks (depends on weather/how much cats drink) as it has a tank on the back which holds more water.

It is electrical, but we've never had any problems with ours. It's been running 24hrs for about 4 years now, and the tank can easily be filled up without needing to turn it off.

7. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Ooooh, that's a lovely one. My girl likes to drink from the tap. I currently have the Catit, which they like, but yours is ace! What's it called?

8. thelioncub

It's called a 'Drinkwell Platinum Water Fountain'. The same brand have other models, but this one suited us best because of the larger capacity. You should be able to find it for under £40. This was the best price I could find: - pet supermarket

9. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Wow! I'd never seen that one! Sorry for the mis-information o/p xx

10. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

I can recommend that fountain as well as being good! It is also relatively quiet

11. thelioncub

Yeah! Weirdly, we find that if it starts to get a bit noisy, if we adjust the flow with the lever by the gate, it shuts up again! Do you get the same?
    Otherwise, the only noise we hear from it is the lovely sound of flowing water, or the motor making sucking noises because it needs filling up (whoops!)

We first got this to encourage our elderly cat with CRF to drink more, and it's been fab. Otherwise I can't say I would have ever found it, because I never had a need to look at fountains (if that makes sense?)
    Both our current cats have taken to it fine and it has been handy when we've gone away as the plain old water bowl runs dry after just a few hours with 2 cats.

12. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

We have this one too it's fab! For Sooty it lasts about 3-4 weeks without having to be refilled, but his diet is also mainly wet than dry so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Sooty loves it to bits and drinks more now than he did before. It runs 24 hours a day here too and it's perfectly fine!

13. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

would you be comfortable with a fountain being plugged in for only some of the time?
    i have mine on a timer plug 7am - 10pm

(the rest of the time the cats tend to be in the bedroom with me where they have a bowl of water)

also i saw this on pets at home - i have no idea if it is any good but it doesnt need plugging in at all!
    Smart Sipper Water Fountain for Cats and Dogs by Fed & Watered | Pets at Home

14. thelioncub

15. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Can't say that I'd noticed but if it does I'll know what to do!

16. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I wish P@H would relabel that dispenser, it's not a fountain at all but a plain old dispenser!

TBH even if you could get a fountain that holds enough water for a couple of weeks I wouldn't go with that idea anyway.

For water to stand for 2 weeks in the heat ... well without being cleaned or the filter being rinsed through I would be worried about germs building up and possibly making your cats ill.

If you can get someone to rinse through the filter and change/top up the water every few days that would be ideal. You could always get a safety adapter for the plug that trips out should anything happen :)

17. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

My fountain arrived today.. I'll say one thing that I completely forgot when ordering.. My cats prefer to play with running water than drink it. Oops. Its everywhere.. :D

18. thelioncub

Hmm.. I'm not too sure I agree with this. For a start - water standing in the heat is kinda irrelevant - the worst that can happen is it will evaporate. Heat isn't going to make the water any more or less likely to build up germs.
    From my understanding, cats often prefer water that isn't straight out the tap, because they are more sensitive to the chlorine used to treat tap water than we are - hence why they drink from puddles etc. The filters in the Drinkwell are to collect debris like fur etc that come off the cat, plus the carbon helps to absorb impurities in tap water. They only need changing every month, so leaving the fountain for 2-3 weeks really wont be a problem - if anything, that water will be super clean for the cat, having been filtered many times!
    Germs in water are an issue for humans in places where the water isn't treated, but I think it's fair to assume that people are filling up their cat fountains from tap water - not out of buckets scooped from the Nile. Imho, there isn't such a thing as 'germs building up', and a cat would never drink from something it thought smelt bad anyway. Whilst we ourselves would never think to drink a glass of tap water that's been sat by our bedside a couple of nights (if only because it tastes 'funny') the same really cannot be said for cats. But this is just a taste issue - it's not because it's going to make us ill.
    I think we often apply logic meant for humans to our animals - which is totally understandable given all the scares out there, but in this case I honestly believe that it's a rather ungrounded fear. :tongue_smilie:

19. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I was going to say something along those lines, but with it being so stuffy in this office I can't think straight!
    The water is fresh even after a week as the fountains tend to keep the water cool too. I've had a try of the water after a week and it's a damn sight nicer than the stuff that comes out of the tap! :D

20. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Nope I disagree I'm afraid. If nothing else if no one is topping the water up ... as it evaporates the dry scum along the sides of the dish where the water pools with be a breeding ground for germs, not the water itself, but as they lap the water it will hit the sides and run back down into the dish.

Like you say the filter is meant for collecting debris. If one of the cats goes to the loo and then comes out and cleans it's bottom (eww) then immediately goes for a drink ... well the filter is only meant for collecting debris as you say, not filtering the water so to speak.

I know I would never leave our girls fountain without being rinsed and cleaned once a week, and a complete water change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice