UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 16 year old cat who seems to manage to vomit in the night just about every night. Every morning I come down to the kitchen and there it is. he went through quite a long period without doing this but has started again. Mostly it's hair he has bought up. We haven't changed his food or anything. What I find frustrating is he always manages to get it on places hard to clean. He avoids lino and tiled floors in the kitchen and chooses a matting rug that it's almost impossible to get it out of. If in the house he seems to get it on part rug, carpet and perhaps a bit of cable to make it as difficult as possible to clean. Ok, of course he isn't doing this to spite but I am just wondering why he always seems to make it as hard as possible to clean up.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If I were you, given his age, I'd get the vet to run some blood tests to check his kidney function. Cats with renal insufficiency tend to vomit a lot, particularly when they haven't eaten for a while, which is often in the night or early morning before brekkie.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you haven't already, I would suggest you get to the vet asap with this, could be a number of things and the sooner you find out the better - fingers crossed it's nothing too bad. Has there been any diarrhoea?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been on and off for a few years now. He is on thyroid tabs and has blood tests every 6 months or so. He didn't do it this morning. I think he over grooms and gets a hairball.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't know if this is any help, but our rescue cat vommitted a few times a month - we only ever fed her dried food as she was unsure of 'real' food (I'm assuming she wasn't introduced to it as a young cat).

Anyway - recently we started feeding her little titbits of ham as her treats - since then, she's stopped throwing up!!

Might be completely unrelated, but it's worked for us!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
We have a 16 year old cat who seems to manage to vomit in the night just about every night. Every morning I come down to the kitchen and there it is.
It's been on and off for a few years now. He is on thyroid tabs and has blood tests every 6 months or so. He didn't do it this morning. I think he over grooms and gets a hairball.
He's obviously being monitored by a vet but I think you need to discuss with your vet how to stop this frequent vomiting. This seems too often to just be down to hairballs, but if it is hairballs then products can be purchased to ease the transition of them through the body.e.g Sherleys Hairball Paste 2 In 1 - Pet Supplies & Pet Accessories | PET SUPERMARKET Online Pet Store - though discuss with vet first.

Whatever the cause, it must be horrible to have to go through the motions of vomiting all the time and it must be hard on the body, especially when elderly, so I'd really try to get to the bottom of why this is happening and get it treated.

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
As he is vomiting on the mat during the night, the easiest most effective thing is to take up the mat (or mats) every night and put it (them) down again in the morning. I do this every night to stop my elderly cat weeing on the mat on his way out the catflap.

I agree with what others have said -- it is worth asking the vet to test the cat's kidney function as vomiting is common where there is chronic kidney disease.

Also as the vomiting is possibly caused by excess acid, (due to age or even thyroid disease) it is best always to leave him some food to eat overnight, something tasty and easy to digest, but not dry food. This will keep his stomach acid occupied digesting food. If there is a risk he might eat all the food early on in the night, buy an autofeeder from amazon and leave food in that for him, timed to open at around 4 a.m.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.