Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Vomiting Help Please :(

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by KatyV, Mar 23, 2020.

1. KatyV

KatyV PetForums Newbie

Hey I was hoping someone on here could offer some advice if possible - my cat is vomiting about every 3 days or so and its been going on for months.

I've taken him to the vets who did a full blood test and everything came back normal - no thyroid problem, no problem with kidneys or liver, not diabetes and they said theres no sign of cancer as far as they could tell.
    They said it might be IBS so they gave him a "long lasting steroid injection" after which he didnt throw up for about 2 weeks (as far as I know) but then went back to the same pattern.

Hes always loved his food, (a LOT!) but always been a healthy weight. Now he's eating just as much, hes just as excited about food as he ever was but he's skinny and not putting any weight on! The vet advised to feed more just give smaller portions throughout the day (which I've done exactly as told) but still no change! I've been very very careful with his diet just a mix of wet and dry food as the vet advised but nothing seems to be making any difference. Also he's only 9 so I wouldnt think its age related.

I feel like like I've ruled out everything and there is just no answer. If anyone's had a similar problem any advice at all would be amazing. Thank you.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @KatyV and welcome :)

I am sorry to hear of the problems your cat has been having.

May I ask a few questions to clarify the situation ?

1/ You mention your cat is "skinny" - is he continuing to lose weight ? Are you weighing him every week on digital baby scales and keeping a record? How much weight has he lost in the past month?

2/ What foods are you feeding him? (the makes, the flavours and whether it's dry or wet food) The vomiting suggests he might possibly have developed a food allergy to one of the meat proteins.

3/ 9 years old is around the age at which a cat may develop Diabetes Mellitus or Hyperthyroid disease. A ravenous appetite and weight loss can be symptoms of either of these diseases. Weight loss, ravenous hunger and vomiting are symptoms I associate with Diabetes.

When was he last tested for Diabetes? If it was more than a month ago it is worth having him tested again. Things can change quite quickly with this illness.

Weight loss can as you appreciate be a sign of an underlying disease such as cancer, but I think it would be better to rule out other causes completely (e.g. food allergy or Diabetes) before having investigations such as ultra sound scans or x-rays.

3. KatyV

KatyV PetForums Newbie

Hi, thank you for getting back to me I will try to eplain as much as I can:

1. Luckily he's not still losing weight or I wouldn't be able to sleep at night - he lost the weight around a year ago but he has remained more or less the same weight since then which is 3kgs. This is pretty much the same as when he was weighed at the vets a few months back. The problem is he used to weigh around 5kgs which was about just over average for his size and i would say a perfect weight for him. He doesn't look really unhealthy now but when you stroke him you can tell he should weigh more.

2/3 SO sorry this is really long to eplain! But I dont know how else to put it so...

Until he started getting sick he has always been on wet food only, he couldnt stand the dry stuff and he absolutely needs variety. I'd pick up a different one almost every time make sure its different flavour texture etc... (it was all supermarket stuff like sheba, whiskas, gormet etc... and ofcourse he'd be offended if I didnt offer him some of my dinner too.

When he first started getting sick on a regular basis i thought it must be something in the human food that's making him sick (he loved stuff like salmon and ham and cooked chicken) so I stopped giving him anything other than cat food and cat treats which is devastating because I know how much he wants it :( but this didnt stop the issue so when it continued and he didnt get better I took him to the vet because I was convinced it was Hyperthyroid as you said but the blood test confirmed it wasnt anything like that at all. So the vet said they thought it might be IBS and gave him an injecion on the same day. Which like i said did seem to stop the sickness for little while but then it just went back to the same thing.

A thing I should mention is he had a skin problem about 4 years ago and was scratching off a lot of fur and he was at the vets back and forth at that time - they put him on all kinds of different pills and injections. It cleared up eventually after about a year of this and I'm pretty sure in the end it was just an allergy to flea drops. So I was thinking possibly all the different drugs they put him on at that time messed with his belly somehow?

Do you know of any really solid way to test for a food allergy - like is there a food that he CANT be allergic to possibly just so I can be sure if it is or not to do with the food? Ive tried to see if i can narrow it down a bit but it seems to be totally random.

I'm sure hes not depressed or anything too he's not acting strange he's just a bit quiet on days he's sick but back to normal the next day.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@KatyV - frequent vomiting can be a sign of inflammatory bowel disease (known as IBD). I have had 3 cats with this illness (one of them is one of my current cats). Cats with IBD often have food sensitivities which can make the condition worse. Certainly a chronically inflamed bowel (IBD) can cause the cat to be hungry constantly but not absorb the nutrients from their food very well.

His skin problem 4 years ago could also have been due to a food allergy. Very often these allergies start off as Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD) but even when treated with an effective flea treatment, the itching may remain because the flea allergy has triggered a food allergy. This happened to one of my cats who had FAD when I adopted him as a rescued stray.

The best. most scientific way to identify food allergies in a cat is to put them on an elimination diet. This involves feeding them a NOVEL PROTEIN diet - which is a meat protein they have never eaten before. This diet must be adhered to strictly for 8 to 10 weeks. Nothing else is allowed apart from fresh water.

For a cat living in the UK the usual Novel Proteins are :
    Kangaroo
    Reindeer
    Goat
    Horse
    Venison (in some cases)

These foods can be bought from online pet stores as single novel proteins. This part of the diet is to calm the immune system.

Please have a read of this pinned thread on 'elimination diets' for more information:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/elimination-diets.509821/

The best liked seems to be Kangaroo.

After 8 - 10 weeks on the novel protein diet you then need to start on Stage 2 of the diet, introducing one regular protein food at a time as a single protein. This part of the diet is to challenge the immune system. Each single protein food is fed for 3 weeks and a daily log is kept of symptoms.

I usually recommend the most common feline food allergens are left until the end. These are chicken, beef and fish. So you might start with turkey, then lamb, then pork, then duck, then rabbit and then beef, fish, and last chicken.

You didn't mention exactly which foods you have been feeding him?

Note, dry food cannot be used in the elimination diet as it often contains more than one protein source as well as many other ingredients that could cause a problem.

#4 chillminx, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    KatyV likes this.
  5. KatyV

KatyV PetForums Newbie

Replied on wrong page sorry!!... this is what i said

Thank You! This is exactly what I needed and what I was looking for.

Pibbs is my first and only pet so I'm really not as clued up as I know I should be, I've always just trusted that I can take him to the vet if he's unwell and they will make him better. I know that sounds wrong but he's always been very happy and very healthy until he got the skin problem. I would never have linked the two together.

At the moment I'm feeding him just whiskas fish selection in jelly pouches for 7+ cats and then purina go-cat chicken, turkey and veg to keep him happy in between meals as i felt terrible not giving him treats, this combination seemed to work the best. I had no idea about the proteins I honestly thought it may just be different brands have different ingredients so I narrowed it down to this combination working the best. Sounds really stupid I know but this is exactly why I came here for advice, I needed someone to explain this to me - the vet hasnt seemed to clue me in a lot with whats actually going on just more injections and pills.

I really didnt expect to find such a perfect answer in just one day!

I will get on this right away, are there any particular brands you recommend for the foods? - I'm in the UK so will have to order online.

Thank you!! :)

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@KatyV -

The online pet stores are being overwhelmed with orders right now, and a lot of their usual items are out of stock. This includes the Kangaroo made by Catz Finefood in their Purr range.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/catz_finefood/catz_finefood_cans/525027

If you want to put Pibbs on the elimination diet it is probably best to try him with the kangaroo. But until it is back in stock, this may help a bit.

1/ Take Pibbs off the dry food. Gocat is not a good food, but he will be better without any dry food at all.

2/ The Whiskas pouches not only contain fish but other proteins such as chicken or beef (because they're cheap meats for the manufacturers to buy) So it's not the best food for him if he has possible allergies.

3/ I'd avoid foods that are aimed at older cats, e.g. ones that say for 7+ , as they they are basically a marketing gimmick. Pibbs will be fine on normal wet food for adult cats.

I have just checked on Zooplus and all the foods I would recommend for Pibbs are out of stock.

In the light of the current restrictions I suggest this : Order meat online from your local supermarket at present. Turkey mince, lamb mince, pork mince and home-cook those for him. The mince can be gently fried in goose fat or duck fat. Do not use cooking oil or chicken fat.

Sainsbury's has lamb and pork mince for sale at present.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/meat-fish/mince#langId=44&storeId=10151&catalogId=10241&categoryId=275324&parent_category_rn=13343&top_category=13343&pageSize=60&orderBy=FAVOURITES_ONLY|TOP_SELLERS&searchTerm=&beginIndex=0&hideFilters=true

Sainsbury's also has Goose fat and Duck fat for cooking with;

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/all-oils/sainsburys-goose-fat-200g-7975864-p-44

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/all-oils/sainsburys-british-duck-fat-200g

Add a teaspoonful of cooked mashed squash to at least one of his meals for fibre (so he doesn't get constipated). Sainsbury's sells butternut squash. Peel it, steam it and then mash it. It can be frozen in ice cube trays and one cube defrosted as needed, in the microwave..

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...gine-squash/sainsburys-butternut-squash-loose

Or you can buy tinned pumpkin puree from Sainsbury's but I am not so keen on using this as it contains quite a lot of salt, which is not good for cats. Though at the small amounts you would be adding the salt is probably not a problem. However my own cats refused to eat food with this tinned puree in it but they like fresh cooked squash.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/baking-buddy-tinned-pumpkin-puree-425g

In the short term it's OK not to add vitamins and minerals to home cooked meat. But if you were feeding it longer than a few weeks you'd need to add "a completer" = a combination of the right daily amounts of minerals and vitamins. Zooplus sells 'Felini Complete' and amazingly it is in stock! :)

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860

Aldi is well stocked with meat at present but you have to go to the store. They have lamb mince and turkey mince.

But Aldi has no butternut squash or goose fat.

Please let us know how things go , and if you are able to get the meat.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have :) I understand as Pibbs is your first cat, it may feel like there's a lot to learn, and perhaps it's a bit overwhelming at times. Please feel free to ask whatever you want to know. x

#6 chillminx, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    TriTri and KatyV like this.
  7. Wakarundayo

Wakarundayo PetForums Newbie

He sounds very much like my Panda, he had IBS, various allergies and kidney disease which causes vomiting due to stomach acid. I'm sure your vet checked kidney levels so you probably don't have to worry about that.

To be honest we never quite managed to make his symptoms go away 100% (vomiting, diarrhea, some itching) but were able to manage them well and he had a happy life.

Finding a suitable diet will make your life easier, so when you find a food that he likes and does not make him ill stick to it and don't worry about variety or mixing it up. Panda was allergic to beef protein and most cat foods will have it as an ingredient. Ironically, he did better on dry food.

KatyV likes this.
  8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

No need to peel butternut squash, cut it into segments & roast, it then scoops of the skin very easily

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, this is true. :)

I cut mine in half, leave the skin on, cook it in the steamer, then scoop out the flesh.

But I know of some people who seem to prefer to peel it first.:)

10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Life's to short to peel not only a mushroom, but a butternut squash. Also once the flesh is cooked you get just a tiny bit more by scooping!

chillminx likes this.
  11. KatyV

KatyV PetForums Newbie

Hey sorry for not getting back to you sooner - the news about the new restricitons in the UK hit just as I sent that last messge so I was on the phone constanly after that. Today has been a lot of trying to figure out what we're all going to do. Food deliveries are pretty much unavailable right now for weeks so we are planning to do a big food shop tomorrow at ALDI to keep us going the next couple of weeks. I will try to get some lamb or pork mince (I really hope they are not sold out!!) is there any way I can use frozen because I dont know how this situation is going to pan out now so I have no idea if we will be able to get to the shop often enough to keep getting fresh. At least I will have the time to prepare the food as I am now pretty much under house arrest haha. Let me know about frozen meat and I will update you tomorrow on what I managed to get as I'm not sure what the situation is going to be at the shops. Didnt expect this to happen so soon in the UK. Hope everyone is okay! x

12. KatyV

KatyV PetForums Newbie

Oh and I THINK co-op sell pumpkin puree (only shop in our village) so if ALDI dont have it I will try to get it from there. I don't think we can manage to keep up with fresh butternut squash either right now :(

13. KatyV

KatyV PetForums Newbie

Oh and couple more things just quickly - if I buy pork or lamb I will have to stick with the same one for 8 weeks right? So if I get pork its just pork for 8 weeks.

Update too I might have to go to tesco for the goose fat I dont think any of the other shops have it, we are only near a small co-op. Big aldi, big tesco is within driving distance, everything else is quite tough to get to.

(I sent a couple other messages before this but didnt reply so if you only see this one and it doesnt make sence there are 2 more on the thread!)

Thanks for everything sorry for the brief messages its been the wierdest day everyone is panicking! hah. I will let you know what I've got and how I got on tomorrow night :)

TriTri likes this.
  14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@KatyV - frozen meat is fine. You could defrost enough over night for the next day and then cook it as you go.

Pumpkin puree is fine as long as it is the plain stuff, no sugar added.

15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Katy, because pork, lamb and turkey are not novel proteins (Pibbs will have eaten them before in cat food) there will be no need to give one of them for 8 weeks, But I think it would be useful to feed Pibbs one type of meat for a week and see how he gets on. If he is OK with it try another meat for a week. It is easier if you just feed one protein at a time to start with to see if there is an allergy.

Once you know he is OK with those proteins then you can rotate them.

Because turkey, pork and lamb are not novel proteins it is best not to feed only one meat protein for 8 weeks as it could cause an allergen to develop during the period. If he reacts badly to any of the cooked meats (i,e. if he vomits) then stop feeding that meat protein.

I hope you find plenty of lamb, pork and turkey mince at Aldi tomorrow. There was plenty in my local one today apparently. :)

#15 chillminx, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    TriTri likes this.
  16. KatyV

KatyV PetForums Newbie

Got it. Thank you. Once I get the stuff tomorrow would it be okay to get some advice on how to prepare it and how much to make at a time and how to store it plus how much to feed him at a time plus how much to feed him in a day. You've told me so much already I don't mean to keep bugging you... I promise a celebration picture once we get him to 3.5kgs :D (I really hope he likes it too!! I know he loves human food but it feels like being judged by Gordon Ramsey!)

chillminx likes this.
  17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Absolutely Katy, no problem, I'm happy to help :)

I find most cats love cooked mince, so I am sure he will be OK. Try the first meal without pumpkin added. Just in case he doesn't like the pumpkin puree.

moomoowawa likes this.
  18. KatyV

KatyV PetForums Newbie

We've had to postpone the shopping trip until tomorrow because tomorrow is payday (tough decision but it had to be made) I hate waiting an extra day, I'm SO excited to get this started I literally can't wait! We'll be going afternoon time and I'll make pibbs his first meal once I get in (ill get a pack of fresh mince so it's ready to cook when I get home). How should I prepare it? For the 1st meal I won't add the pumpkin just in case (I'm sure he won't even notice it but I want to make sure) so shall I just fry the mince in the goose fat? And I don't want to accidentally use too much fat so how much would you say I should use? I think (I hope) He is going to love this!

19. Kittynanna

Kittynanna PetForums Senior

The shops seem to be much better stocked, I’ve just been Morrisons and they had almost everything in, veg, fruit, bread, meat, tinned beans, tinned meats, butter, milk, and frozen veg....I even got paracetamol though they were the expensive ones.

Hopefully things are calming down, good luck for your shop tomorrow.

chillminx likes this.
  20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

In a non-stick pan (if you have one) use about half a flat teaspoonful of goose fat. Melt the fat over a low heat and then add the raw mince. Turn the heat up a little and keep turning the mince as it cooks so it doesn't burn. It only takes a couple of minutes to cook.

I don't know how much Pibbs will eat per meal so you will have to play it by ear. I'd cook about 3 tablespoonfuls of the mince to start with. If it is too much for one meal you can always refrigerate it and save it towards the next meal.

I always add 2 to 3 tablespoonfuls of water to the mince once it's cooked, to provide more fluids.

When the cooked meat has been in the fridge, cover it and warm it in the microwave for 10 seconds, then mix well to get rid of hot spots before serving.

I hope he likes it! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice