Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat vomiting after change to dry food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Damian, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Damian

Damian PetForums Junior

Hi guys,

I was wondering whether I could pick your brains...

I've been feeding my cats on wet food for the last two and a half years or so. Originally I fed them Orijen and Applaws, but after one of them ended up with an irritable bladder I changed them to solely wet food (as advised by the vet), but the only food they seem to like is complementary ones to the point where one of them just won't eat anything that is good quality and complete.

Recently I tried changing them back to dry complete food as they're drinking a lot more water (I bought them a water dilter-y fountain-y thing) and I wondered whether that might have been an issue originally, but one of them (I think I know which it is) keeps vomiting after eating.

I've tried feeding them less food more times throughout the day in case they're eating, but she's still doing it. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways around this? She's not doing it when I feed her wet food, but the only ones I can get the other to eat are complementary, so I'm just wondering what to do!

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is rambly and makes no sense!

Damian

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I'm sure from what you've said you know that a wet diet is best for kitties.

Have you thought about adding the supplements they need to the complimentary food? I'm not sure if it's possible to do that effectively, perhaps Hobbs can confirm or deny if it would work .... *sends smoke signals to Hobbs*

Have you tried them on a raw diet at all? this could be another avenue, though unless you pay a premium for the raw mixes available (though you would still have to add Taurine) you would still need to add at least Taurine.

A good test to see if they would enjoy a raw diet is trying them with a chicken breast or even turkey cut up into slithers or small chunks . Just give it to them uncooked and see what happens :D

3. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

If you were to put dry food into a small amount of water for 10 mins the biscuits will swell up to 2-3 times the size.

Most cats eat too much of it, then as it hits the stomach it mixes with fluid in the stomach and swells up.

Thats why if u read the guide on the packet on how much you feed it never seems a lot - because when its eaten it swells up lots more.

Your cats are probably eating more than they need hence its coming back up.

Stick to wet for any urinary problem history, however much water they are drinking its still best. :001_smile:

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

How soon after eating is the vomiting? With vomiting on a continual basis like this, I would suspect food allergy. Why dry is it? Even if it's one of the ones you've fed previously this can still apply. Cats can suddenly become allergic to foods they've previously 'tolerated' - in fact this is more often the case!

How many wet foods have you tried so far? There's a vast array to choose from nowadays and personally I'd try exploring the wet rather than the dry route from now on!

5. wilchil64

wilchil64 PetForums Member

I have a sicky cat too and wondered how you can tell if it's an allergy causing it.

She's a one and a half year old Siamese, she came to us about 3 weeks ago. Before coming here she was fed dry food, Iams, James Wellbeloved etc. I bought some Iams to wean her off it slowly and am feeding both Iams and Bozita wet. However, she is sick every day. Her previous owner told me she is a sicky cat, but I wondered if there is something I could do to help her and stop her vomiting.

The Iams is nearly finished and I have to decide whether to feed only Bozita or also some Applaus as she quite likes dry food. However, she will eat wet food, so I'm guessing wet would be best. I do think though that on days when I've tried to feed mainly wet food she's still been sick, but then that could be down to the dry food I've left down at bedtime ...? Or are some cats just sicky cats? She is a terrible thief - there have been incidents with banana cake with nuts in it that required a visit to the vet! and she's mad about buns and cake of all sorts, so we have to watch her all the time, but I am now very careful that nothing is left around for her to eat - my kitchen has never been so tidy!

Raw is not an option due to storage problems (small fridge freezer).

Thanks for any tips.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread.)

6. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

The only way to determine for sure if your cat has an allergy is for her to have allergy tests at the vet. Before you go down that route, perhaps you could try your cat on some grain free dry, if you want to continue to include dry in her diet, as both Iams and JWB contain grains, which some cats do not tolerate very well. Orijen is 'good' dry food (if there can be a dry food that is described as being good). You'll find lots of information about low/grain free foods on the A-Z guide of wet and dry foods in this section.

I also have a 'sicky' female cat who can vomit at will. She usually does this if she stuffs her face, so I feed her smaller meals, little and often. She's allowed a small amount of dry (Orijen) per day and her other meals are wet food - Grau, Bozita, Animonda, Smilla, Porta21 all of which she tolerates well *IF* she doesn't overeat. I've tried to encourage her to eat some raw too, but sadly, she's not interested.

Also, I see you said the Iams is coming to an end. It's best to not do a complete change of food, but to introduce new food gradually, so if possible, purchase Orijen or equivalant, mix this with Iams, slowly reducing the amount of Iams until you're feeding solely Orijen. But, I wouldn't advocate a solely dry diet. I hope this helps :)

7. wilchil64

wilchil64 PetForums Member

Hi again ! :)

As you know Diva is known for stuffing her face too! lol However I don't think this is causing her to be sick, as it's not straight after, but often I'll find she's been sick in the night, when the food has been down all night.

I have been feeding small meals often instead of big meals, especially as Max is meant to be losing weight also.

We've only had Iams because she ate that before. I've gradually mixed in some Applaus but not sure that's the way I want to go tbh. I also have a taster pack of Orijen which I've not started with yet. I thought Applaus was good but have been reading on this forum that there have been problems with Applaus so not sure it's the best. I know Orijen has a good reputation but it is expensive as well.

I'm not fixed on feeding dry, Max is quite happy with Bozita wet so I'm happy to go down that route, if the dry food is what is causing a problem.

Ideally I'll only feed Bozita, I think. I used to think dry food was good for their teeth, but now know different so no point in feeding for that reason. Diva used to prefer dry food to wet, but she's quite happy with Bozita, I certainly haven't seen her turning her nose up at it! lol

If eating too much too quickly was the problem, would you expect vomiting immediately or could that still be the cause for Diva, even if she vomits much later? She is otherwise fit, happy (very!), a beautiful cat, not losing weight that I can see, but I will weigh her to keep an eye on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice