Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Visiting Sainsburys

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by a1anm, Mar 5, 2017.

1. a1anm

a1anm PetForums Newbie

We are having a problem with our cat. We live in Glasgow and our cat spends a lot of time outside.

The problem is he has starting going to the Sainsbury's local near us and going inside.

He just wanders around the shop. The staff are really nice and like him but obviously he isn't allowed inside so they always have to phone us to come and pick him up.

He seems to love it there now and as soon as he goes outside goes straight there. He will sit outside the shop waiting for it to open!

We have lived in the same place for 6 years but he has only started doing this recently. I think he just discovered the shop as it is a few streets away.

The only way we can stop him is by keeping him inside but then he starts to go crazy and it seems cruel because he loves getting out.

Does anyone have any ideas of how we could stop him from going to the shop?

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Whilst his little trick sounds rather sweet I can see that it is becoming a problem.
    Is it perhaps that he is a very sociable cat? I think he would benefit from some more structured play time at home, get a variety of different toys ( Da Bird or similar are always a hit) and make home as exciting as the supermarket!

3. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Aww bless him sounds like an old cat we had once that used to go and visit a neighbour for a bit of milk then she'll come home again. Obviously with it being a shop you can't expect them to keep him out. You might have to cat proof your garden so he can't get out, making him an enclosure or putting a bit of extra fencing on that overhangs into the garden.

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

My friend's cat used to go to Mass at the local Catholic school ! He only seemed to go when Mass was being held , not other days.
    It's a tricky situation, he's obviously a sociable cat , could you put a collar saying ' do not feed' on him ? Not saying he just goes looking for food but it might help ?

Betty6691 likes this.
  5. a1anm

a1anm PetForums Newbie

Yes, he is super social and. He was actually a stray cat that we found when he was quite young and still spends a lot of time outside. He will usually only come in at dinner time and then stays in until the morning again (right after breakfast). We could try playing more with him in the evening but he usually just wants to sleep when he is inside.

We live in a shared block of flats and only have a shared garden so we can' make a penned in area for him either.

We haven't had a call from Sainsbury's in a few days. I have went past a few times and he is just sitting inside the door on the mat. Maybe if he learns not to venture further in to the shop they will put up with him.

He is becoming a bit of an attraction so maybe he will be good for business.

Attached Files:

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

He sounds like a free spirit!
    We have a similarly sociable cat near where I work. he wanders around several of he local businesses and demands to be let into various shops for a look around and a bit of fuss before heading off on patrol.

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Not wishing to worry you but I would be concerned that he is wandering away on a regular basis.
    There are some pretty nasty folks out there,not to mention dogs /on off leash who would just love to chase a cat and outside a supermarket,small or otherwise is often where you will see dogs tied up/kids loitering etc.
    I can see from your post that cat proofing your garden isn't an option but I would definitely be looking at keeping him from wandering off .

spotty cats likes this.
  8. a1anm

a1anm PetForums Newbie

He definitely is a free spirit. We found him years ago when we were working in the Caribbean and ended up bringing him back with us. If we could keep him contained a bit more it would be great but apart from trying to keep him in our flat (he goes crazy if we do this) I'm not sure how to.

He goes around visiting lots of neighbours so he has become a bit of a community cat!

Our biggest worry is the roads. Be has to cross 2 quite busy roads to get to the Sainsbury's. It is a residential area so they usually don't drive fast but there are always a few idiots that speed.

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

A Caribbean cat, wow he really is a wanderer.
    The thought of him crossing two roads does bother me but I really can't suggest much to curb his wanderlust

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice