Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat urinary problem.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by liverb, Nov 15, 2012.

1. liverb

liverb Banned

Hello,
    My cat (male) has an urinary problem for 3-4 months now. He goes to pee outside the litter box. He also had blood in the urine but after the injections dont have anymore.

He has received around 20 injections (20 days * one) + he drinked pills for 3 weeks, he eats only urinary cat food, drinks special water to lower his pH and still he goes outside the litter box.

His urine was checked and it had like a crystals (or diamonds, somethink like that) in it :eek:

Usualy befoe he wants to go to pee he meows a lot. And he dont usually meow.

Please tell me what to do. Im tired of visiting the vet every day.
    Thanks

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi, sorry to hear about your cat's urinary problems.

How old is your cat?

What are the injections he has been having every day?

Are you feeding him dry food or wet food? Wet food is better where there are urinary problems. Also, try and keep his fluid intake up. You can add a little water to his wet food, and make home-made chicken and beef broths for him.

If he cries before peeing he could be in pain, as his bladder may be in spasm. Has the vet advised you to give him Cystease or Cystaid to help him pee more easily? Or his urine could be so concentrated it is burning him, and this is why it is important to increase his fluids.

He is associating the litter box with pain, which is probably why he is peeing next to it, not in it. Give him a soft litter, such as a cereal based one. But the problem may not be resolved until you have sorted out the pain problem for him.

EDIT: do you know which kind of crystals your cat had? Here is a link explaining the various kinds, the causes and treatment.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6383529_bladder-crystals-cats.html

#2 chillminx, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. liverb

liverb Banned

He is 9 months old.
    First he recieved 2 injections, one was vitamin C, and the other one i dont know.

The food is recommended by the vet. Its dry food, specially for urinary problems. It was pretty expensive. He told me to give him only that food. Also he eats and drinks normally like before.

And about the crystals i dont know. I saw them under microscope and they was like a diamond shape.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Many vets recommend dry food, it doesn't mean it is the best diet for a cat, even one with urinary problems. Vets get very little training in nutrition.

I understand it is important to feed a pH balanced diet to a cat that has had cystals, but I am sure this can be achieved with a wet food diet and then you can add water to his food.

Even if you are determined to feed dry food, you can still give your cat the broths I mentioned, as you definitely need to increase his fluids. It is unlikely he is drinking enough water to rehydrate all that dry food he is eating.

What about Cystease or Cystaid? Have you tried them for him?

5. liverb

liverb Banned

What are those? Pills?
    He was drinking pills, but i dont know their name..

Is it maybe cause his litter box is small. Its about half of my cats size.
    Also when he goes to poop he goes to the end of the box and he is standing on his back feet. He does that from he was little.

EDIT:
    Can i put water in the food, would that be considered as wet food?

Also i forgot to tell you. He sometimes pours the water out of the can. I dont know why he does that. He will pour it about half of it and then starts to drink.

#5 liverb, Nov 15, 2012
  6. liverb

liverb Banned

What are those? Pills?
    He was drinking pills, but i dont know their name..

Is it maybe cause his litter box is small. Its about half of my cats size.
    Also when he goes to poop he goes to the end of the box and he is standing on his back feet. He does that from he was little.

EDIT:
    Can i put water in the food, would that be considered as wet food?

Also i forgot to tell you. He sometimes pours the water out of the can. I dont know why he does that. He will pour it about half of it and then starts to drink.

7. dukey

dukey PetForums Senior

My kitten has very similar problems so I know how upsetting it is for an owner and also how frustrating it is being at the vets all the time!

I bought a paste called Mark and Chapples Urinary Tract Care which I give daily or every couple of days. I have also bought some treats from Zooplus - Beaphar Kitties these are for cats with urinary problems. Since having these, Duke hasnt had any problems *touchwood*

I feed a predominantly wet diet and he may have dry once or twice a week but I do believe the wet diet helps, I usually mix a tablespoon or two of water in with each meal too.

Cat water fountains - we bought one of these and again, Duke hasnt had any problems since.

Zooplus do stock some wet foods for urinary problems too.

Other than that, I would just be repeating what chillminx has said :)

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

#8 chillminx, Nov 15, 2012
  9. dukey

dukey PetForums Senior

10. liverb

liverb Banned

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

12. liverb

liverb Banned

13. Sussexplumber

Sussexplumber Banned

Ditch the dry food, it isnt good for him and could exacerbate the
    problem! Try feeding chopped fresh beef heart and wet tinned food, Butchers Choice (Asda) is cheap and grain free. :thumbup1: I give mine beef heart one meal each day and she thrives on it. But start feeding a MUCH higher moisture diet. All these visits to the vet must be making your vet rich!

#13 Sussexplumber, Nov 15, 2012
  14. Sussexplumber

Sussexplumber Banned

15. liverb

liverb Banned

Haha no, he isnt charging me much.
    I dont know what to do, the food was expencive. The vet told me that with that food in a week he will be fine. And he is eating only that food for 2 weeks now and he isnt getting any better.
    Also the pet food supplier was at the vet, and he told me the same thing. He told me that his cat got better with that food.

I dont know who should i believe now. I'll go to the vet tomorrow again, and if my cat dont get better in one week i think ill go to another veterinarian.

16. shyboots

shyboots PetForums Senior

My cat has urinary issues too. Ongoing, not totally solved but further on than you. It depends which kind of crystals but my vet said to give the urinary food about 12 weeks to work so one week sounds optimistic! My first vet said feed as much of the dry food as possible then the more senior vet said wet food is better than urinary dry, so we feed wet and some urinary dry because he doesn't eat enough wet food. Did the vet give you some pain relief for the cat? Crystals make peeing sting for them, I hate to think of cats being in pain because they can't tell us :(

17. shyboots

shyboots PetForums Senior

PS also, cystaid/cytophan is a food supplement that helps bowel health, comes in a capsule you can open and sprinkle the powder on your cat's food. My cat likes it :) he also takes the cat painkiller no problem in his food, it has different names like loxicom/metacam, apparently it tastes quite nice for cats.

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

19. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

The crystals may take a little while to break down. It's worth encouraging lots of water in the diet which will help as well. Which food has the vet given you by the way? As already mentioned, Cystaid/Cystease may also help as it will reduce irritation on the bladder while he still has crystals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice