Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat trees/activity centres

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by steve90, Jan 23, 2012.

1. steve90

steve90 PetForums Junior

Just after some advice really. I am looking to buy my cat an activity centre as he is on his own for a bit during the day and think this may give him something else to do. He also likes different places to hide/climb. Where is the best place to buy one from and which one would you go for?

Not too concerned on budget, as long as its not too much.

I have seen some on ebay that seem quite reasonable, but I am wondering how good these are. If anyone has one, could they please advise?

Thanks very much in advance :)

2. paul maine coon

paul maine coon PetForums Senior

Hi Steve I got mine from zooplus and it stands from the floor to the ceiling , best thing I got as he loves it, if you look at my pictures there are some there of it . It cost about £90 :D

3. McSquirtle

McSquirtle PetForums Senior

Hey :)
    I currently have this one: CAT TREE SCRATCHING POST SCRATCH ACTIVITY CENTRE BED X | eBay

And I am getting this to go along side it: Fairy Tales Tree Collection - Great cat trees at zooplus: Cat Tree Gingerbread House

The eBay one is good quality and the only reason I'm getting another is because I have two cats that like to sit up high and there's not a lot of room. The bigger the better really, which is the only problem with eBay as they tend to be smaller or have high postage costs.
    Don't forget to show us a pic when you get one ;)

4. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

In the shelter our two had a cat tree and obviously loved it, so I ordered one with a little house, a tall platform, dangling toys, scratching posts etc.

They haven't once used it apart from scratching the scratching posts :rolleyes:

They prefer jumping on sofa backs, window sills, sleeping on the shelf under the coffee table etc etc etc ;)

So be prepared for it to be a flop :p

5. RosalieW

RosalieW PetForums Newbie

Hi! I have two from ebay and so far they seem to be holding up pretty well. I've had them since September and the only thing I can see that doesn't seem to be great quality are the fluffy balls dangling from the second one - the fabric is starting to come unstitched so I think it's going to come off soon, leaving the plastic uncovered.

Apart from that thought they've been great and my kitten really loves both of them. These are the two I've got:

Cat tree scratcher scratching post activity centre Sisal posts cat toy cave NEW | eBay

CAT ACTIVITY CENTRE / TREE SCRATCHING POST w POP OUT MOUSE SIZE 96cm HIGH | eBay

They are quite light though, I imagine the more expensive ones are heavier. That's why I chose ones with wider bases, I'd be a bit concerned about it falling over if you got one that was very tall and thin. Hope I've helped a bit!

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

We got this medium sized tree from Zooplus last year and 3 out of the 4 cats like it and use it.

We often find Abby aslepp on the top bit with McGee on the next level down. When they're not on it, Merson will take it over.

They don't really use the box though - I think we've only seen it occupied a couple of times which has surprised us. :confused:

Trixie Cat Tree Alicante: Great Deals on Cat Trees at zooplus

Good value for money & reasonably sturdy.

7. peterbsh

peterbsh PetForums Member

Hi Steve,

I've just ordered the medium cat tree Europa from Zooplus for
    £59-90 inc postage...:D I have got a 50/50 chance the little
    buggers wont go near it though...:w00t::w00t:

8. steve90

steve90 PetForums Junior

Thanks to all that have replied, I shall look into all of the suggestions. After a few comments in the replies, I think it may be better to start off with a lower priced one due to the fact that it may become an expensive ornament! Now you all mention it, he has a lovely igloo bed that he never uses in favour of the sofa to I could just see him not bothering with a tree!

9. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I recently ordered one of the QBcat range from Kaven Cat Trees, it was dispatched on Friday and will be delivered this week Kalven Cat Scratcher QBcat range

I wanted one which looked robust and won't tip over, as I am out at work all day and some of the commercial ones don't look that good to me and frankly a little naff (don't shoot me :D) Since she doesn't like any of the beds I have bought her including an igloo I didn't want all the caves and stuff so just went for the basic model 40R. She has a place to lie and will be able to see out of her bedroom window. :)

10. peecee

peecee PetForums Senior

CATSCRATCHER.COM is another place that does good quality sturdy cat trees. I have a couple and they are excellent.

11. hayleyj08

hayleyj08 PetForums Junior

Has anyone got a tree from petplanet? Am considering ordering from there as they seem to have a good selection at reasonable prices

12. catlover0581

catlover0581 PetForums VIP

my handy husband made me one at the weekend, and the cats love it!!

i'll have to get round to posting some pics of it :)

13. pinkbetty

pinkbetty PetForums Junior

We got a Cleo Nevada from eBay: Cleo Nevada Cat Activity Centre Scratching Post | eBay, but at nothing like that price. £45, I think. The cats use it all the time, they sleep in the little hidey hole, and on the top, or just sit on the very top level to get a good view. They have been known to play with the dangly toys and climb through the hole too. There is one little bit where the scratch fabric has come away slightly, but they all scratch in the same place and are very strong! They have some other designs too. All seem to be US state names. Montana, Oregon, Colorado...

Edit: When we first got it, it went over a few times when they were fighting at the top of it and came home to the chair on it's back and the tree on top of it. It's not positioned in such a way this won't happen, and the kittens go outside and let off steam out there instead!

#13 pinkbetty, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice