Cat Tree Advice??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by DeedlitUK, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DeedlitUK

DeedlitUK PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice on how to pick a good cat tree.

I adopted 2 cats last June, a boy (Sisko) and a girl (Zora) I already have a cat tree but it's a bit wee for Sisko. They were 10 months when I got them so are bigger now (and Sisko is getting fat but I'm working on that!)

I live myself so don't mind about it being big or in the way. However I'm a student and don't have much money currently. I got a £20 Amazon voucher for Christmas so ideally would like to purchase from amazon. Ideally around £30-£40, absolute max £50.

There's so much choice so I'm really confused! He's been scratching my wall so i think he likes to scratch vertically so I'd definitely be looking at a tall one. But I don't know what's best! (They have other scratching options but he's doing the wall)

I'm not sure what would be best for 2 adult cats. And not sure how I'd weigh my cats? But he is slightly above average size i think. I've attached a picture of them both om the current tree.

Thanks! Sorry if this is a wee bit rambly

Attached Files:

2. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

If cash is tight you might consider making them a cardboard box castle - just get some various size boxes that the supermarkets give away! When they or you get bored with it you can easily redesign.
    When I want to weigh my cat I simply use my luggage scales - it has a hook I can suspend the cat carrier on. I weigh the cat carrier, then weigh the cat carrier with cat inside and then do the maths.

moggie14 likes this.
  3. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums Senior

Interested as I'm looking for a new cat tree for our cat I think. She's got one downstairs but would like to get her a bigger one and I think it'd be nice for her to have one upstairs and one downstairs (though she has so many beds and toys and scratchers scattered over the house - it's a good job I'm bothered about it looking too tidy :D)

To weigh Eevee I just weigh myself on our scales and then pick her up and weigh myself again. Might not be the most accurate but our scales do do points of KGs so it's fairly accurate :)

4. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums Member

Pavonine, Tanya Cray, Ali71 and 2 others like this.
  5. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum PetForums VIP

I've had a look on Amazon and they do have a lot of tall cat trees under £50 - so really it's a case of doing your research and checking out the measurements and reviews for each one. To be stable it needs to have a large flat base and I'd suggest a minimum of 3 levels - if you can stand it in a corner that would also help with the stability issue.

Alternatively you can make a decent sized post using the inner cardboard roll that comes with carpets (most carpet shops will gladly give you the roll) and then cover it with carpet or sisal. You can then fix it to a wall. Years ago I actually made a simple scratching post by nailing old carpet around a door frame (door was never shut anyway) it proved very popular with the cat I had back then and it did the trick of stopping him scratching the walls/furniture !

Teddy-dog likes this.
  6. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Hi there and welcome :)
    I too needed a new cat tree for the boys with the same sort of budget as yourself. I wanted one with 2 hammocks as I know they love these more than anything else on the tree and will happily sleep in them, it also had to be a ceiling high one for stability. So I looked on Amazon and purchased this one, it's still in the box in my car as I need assistance to carry it into the house it's so heavy! However I will be hopefully building it this weekend and can let you know what it's like in terms of quality etc.
    I'm excited to see the boys reaction!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scratching...+Tree+Bed+Multi+Level+240-260cm+High+(Coffee)

Teddy-dog and claire8234 like this.
  7. DeedlitUK

Thanks for the reply. I never even thought of that, what a good idea. Will definitely ask for that next time I do a shop! Luggage scale would be good if I had one! Thanks though

Thanks for replying.
    Is your cat Eeevee as in from Pokemon?? I've only got really old school scales with the wee dial that goes round with the weight. They are still very skittish about being lifted (they hadn't had much human contact before I got them).

Thanks for the reply. That would be good for him but it's completely outwith my price range! In an ideal world...! Maybe when I'm not scraping by on a student loan!

Hello thanks for replying.
    Yeah there's lots on Amazon but that's the problem- there's so much choice! I'm still relatively new to cat ownership so haven't past experience of what they might prefer etc. I'm literally spending my Christmas money on this so I dont want it to end up a dud. It's obviously hard to tell with cats, i might get one i think is perfect and they won't bother. Just wondered whether other owners have experience of "cats I've had don't generally use this part but like that feature etc"

Hi there, thankyou! That looks really good! Could you let me know how they get on? My cats haven't had anything with a hammock before, but sounds like hammocks are recommended!

Attached a picture of him trying in vain to nap in the current tree. She can curl up into the wee docket perfectly but he's too big. He just sort of hangs there! Bless him.

Attached Files:

moggie14 likes this.
  8. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

It's not Amazon and it's a scratching post rather than a tree as such, but this is what I have: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/scratching_posts/33681 It's just the right height, and cheap enough that you'll have some cash left over for more of a platform/den type tree if you want one, or you could just get a few of these for different rooms :) My cat doesn't seem too bothered by platforms/dens, but he does like to stretch up high for a good scratch :)

9. DeedlitUK

Hello :). That looks really good actually. I'll get the tape measure out and measure his scratch height on the wall and see if it'll be tall enough haha. There's just so much choice it's all a bit confusing. Thanks for your reply

NaomiM likes this.