UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey helpful cat people...!

Im driving from Kent to Cornwall at the weekend... And bringing back a cat...! OH's mum is re-homeing Fred...!
Problem being we will have our 8 month old lab puppy in the car and 3 humans...!
Was thinking of taking the parcel shelf out the car and putting Freds travel box in the boot with a towel over to keep him cool... Is there anything else i can to do make him a bit more comfortable for the 5/6 hour drive....

Thank-you for any help.... I know eff all about cats :confused1::eek:

·
Banned
3,404 Posts
I’ve lived in hot countries, and I swear long journeys with cats are better done either in the evening the early morning or at night time, but I understand that isn’t always possible. We were at a cat show in Germany this past Saturday, and it was 29 degrees (in the shade) it was hideous for the cats.

There’s something I would definitely recommend you take with you, but I’m not sure what they’re called. You know those blue plastic ice-pack things that you put in the freezer then put them into cool boxes to keep your picnic cool??? Well have as many of them on hand as possible. Then when they are a bit defrosted, but still cool, wrap them in a tea-towel and position one or two in the cats travelling crate. But do make sure he/she has enough space to that he doesn’t have to lie on the frozen elements, but can if they choose to. Even if they are “stood up” against the sides of the crate they’ll help keep the cat cool.

I’d also make sure you have something thin to cover the travelling crate in if it’s direct sunlight. Something “breathable” like a thin sheet of muslin is perfect. You can buy special spill-proof cat bowls to keep some water in the crate. Before these travel bowls were invented I used to just pop a soaking wet face cloth in a cat bowl… if they’re really thirsty they will lick from it, and you get no mess or spillage. Don’t use any fleece or wool blankets in the travel crate, just something cotton or linen or some natural fiber.
If the cat appears to be overheating.. well keep stress to a minimum as that will make it worse, and try and stop somewhere (I did it once at a public toilet on a motorway) got my hubby to guard the door while I let the cat out of the crate to cool down on the tiled floor. Also slightly wetting (dampening but not soaking) the cat’s fur with a damp face cloth will help. Pay special attention to the pads of their feet and their underarms, getting those spots cool, cools the cats core temperature. Though nothing drastic like ice water, just cold water on a face cloth. At a pinch… nip into a supermarket and get frozen peas or any bag of frozen veg… wrap it in a tea-towel and position that in the cat’s carrier (again, make sure the carrier is big enough that he can get away from the ice-pack if it’s too cold).

You can also buy battery operated fans. When we used to live in the desert I would use one of these clipped on to the outside of the travel crate with an ice-pack thing in front of it on the inside of the crate. That way the breeze blown off the fan, cools down as it passes over the ice pack. It really reduces the temp inside the travel crate. Even with the aircon on inside a car, the travel crate heats up as the aircon can't cool the inside of the crate and the heat the cat generates can't escape.

oh geez, this has turned out very long and very anal :eek: , lol. I’ve just had so many near disasters with cats and travel in heat that I am ultra cautious now.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that Saturday is dull and cloudy but dry!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree with Tje, what I would suggest is if at all possible put the crate on the back seat & not in the boot. There is less road noise and less movement. I think you will find the puppy could travel better in the boot.

I did the trip down to Cornwall last Monday with 2 kittens I had sold. I left at 5 in the morning and glad I did. I got there at 10 and by then it had already started to heat up. I think if we had left it untill later they definately would have cooked.

·
Registered
115 Posts
To keep Fred calm, Zylkene is really good, its a milk based powder which works as an inhibitor to the brain - not sure why it works but I know it does !

Also, if you buy one of those plastic bowls with hooks on, like you see in bird cages, usually half moon shaped, you can hook it on the bars of the carrier so Fred can get a drink of water when he wants without having to open the cage.

Also make sure you take spare newspaper and plastic bags for accidents - you dont want your car smelling of poo all the way home !

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Pet Cargo Cabrio Carrier Airline Approved

that`s the carrier we have for twix, we used it when we had to do the long journey from glasgow to swansea with him. it`s got loads of room inside and plenty of ventilation plus it opens from the top as well as the door. inside there`s a little gutter in case the cat does the toilet and there`s removable bowls built in so you can put some water and/or food in for him to keep him cool and hydrated. the seatbelt in the car loops under the handle and secures it in position also.

we`ve had my daughter in the back along with our lab and that carrier and we just buckled banjo into the middle seat with her harness (she did end up laying half way across my daughter though :lol:). other than that carrier i don`t know what else to suggest. i wouldn`t put him in the boot though as has been said before not to mention the carrier wouldn`t be secured and could slide around in there :eek:

i`ve heard these collars are quite good Cat Good Behavior Calming Collar- i was recommended them and also serene-UM calming pills by my vet but in the end we didn`t need them as he slept the entire journey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.