Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat tower/activity centre built to order

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by TOTO, Feb 4, 2012.

1. TOTO

TOTO PetForums Junior

Hi,

Haven't been on the forum for a while, been busy with work etc. I have setup building cat towers/activity centres after my friends were asking for one for there house and then there friends etc. Here is a bit of info about them. There are some much more fancy ones out there to buy, but every one of them i see looks like i will fall over at any given minute, which is what spurred me into building a big tough robust one.

Heres an advert i posted else where online
    ----------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I first built one of these after buying a cat activity centre from the local pet shop. It cost me around £80, looked great had lots of little scratchers and platforms etc. It wasn't until i started assembling it that i realised i would be lucky if it lasted a few months, the posts were wobbly, and the thing as a whole was just cheaply put together and not very strong. My cats did enjoy trashing it i must admit, but it took them about 8 weeks and it was ready for the tip. So i decided to build my own, with strong, durable, and comfortable/fun for the cats being my main objective.

Its built from good quality chipboard, covered in carpet. The boxes (bedding areas) are screwed together, as the ladders are screwed to the unit (6 screws) but apart from these 6 screws, the whole of the unit breaks down within 5 minutes. All of the supports and platforms, are connected by push fit tubes for ease. The 9 tube supports are covered in carpet (it would cost an absolute fortune to cover them all in sisal rope), and there are 2 sisal rope covered scratch posts on top. It is a large, heavy unit, and it WILL last. The one in the photograph was used for 4 years BEFORE the picture was taken. Yes, we do realise that the animal in the photo, is in fact, a dog, but i like this photo as it illustrates well the strength of it. Try and put a german shepherd dog on one of those activity centres from the pet shops. The overall width is 38", length is 43" and the height (to the top of the highest scratch post) is just over 2m, about 6 foot 2. Because the scratch posts are solid, screwed to the unit, cats tend to use them alot more and they actually stopped scratching our wall paper since putting this in our home.

I try to build these as cheaply as possible, so that i can charge the best price possible to customers, whilst it still being worth my time. The one in the photograph, i purchased carpet offcuts as the carpet is very expensive as there is a lot of it. I wasn't too strict on the colours, as it was for our own home, but let me know and i can try and keep to a colour scheme for you as best as i can. If you want it an exact colour, with strict orders on which parts are particular colours, contact me first as i will have to see if i can get hold of the carpet at a price cheap enough that wont end up in me making a loss. Otherwise, just give me an idea of some colours and i will of course use them appropriately. I have been thinking a black/dark gray platforms with white or light coloured posts would look good but not used these yet.

I am in Manchester, and have transport, so if the address is within Manchester i will deliver and assemble the unit within your home at no extra cost. If you are outside of this area, the item is for local pickup, or i may be able to travel a bit further at an extra cost for fuel, contact me about that. They are built to order, so when buying, let me know a colour scheme to follow, it will take a few days for me to complete, at the very most 7 days, but thats persuming i struggle for the carpet.

Any questions just ask.

------------------------------

As you can see im fairly open about the costs of material etc, im not making a fortune, just about enough to make it worth while making them. If anyone on here is interested they are £130, that includes brand new fleeces for in bedding areas, the scratchers on top, delivery (within manchester) and assembly in your home. For people outside Manchester if you contact me we may be able to arrange something.

2. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

Now that is an awesome cat tree. And a great price too. Too bad I'm not in the UK. I'd be interested in hearing how you put it together (specifically, what tools are necessary), or buying a copy of your plans even. We have a nice tree, but it is a bit wobbly (moving it twice hasn't helped its cause) and there is only fleece covering it, not carpet. We need a second and I keep saying we should just build one ourselves, but I'm not sure if this is an insurmountable task without, say, a mounted type of saw.

3. TOTO

TOTO PetForums Junior

Hi dagny.

Ill try and get a plan on the pc for you after, at the moment its all scribbled down on paper. If you can get access to a band saw or get someone to cut the wood out to the right sizes for you you're half way there. If you go into your version of B and Q and buy a big sheet of wood over here they have a big saw setup and charge 50p per cut so if you have one over there that could maybe be an option? I use chipboard ranging from 12mm - 18mm thick and in results in them being quite heavy but really sturdy and thats all i wanted from it really when building the original.

For the carper i bought off cuts and whatever i could get hold of cheap for the one in our house, but im building one for a customer at moment and obviously cant use just whatever i can get, so you got to shop around a bit more then as shes specified colours etc and the carpet is actually more expensive than the wood.

I use carpet adhesive, spray the whole peice of wood, and then staple it down on the underneath so they arent visible. Wont move in the slightest then. The round tubes i was originally planning on covering them all in sisal rope as scratchers, until i worked out the price to do that! :huh: Would have cost me around £100 extra just for the rope, so now have them covered in carpet, and attatch two good quality shop bought scratchers to the top. I believe that if a scratch post is solid and firm the cats love it alot more so its screwed down to the tower itself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice