Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat ticks

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by marsaday, Apr 23, 2011.

1. marsaday

marsaday PetForums Junior

Our cat has been missing for 10 days, but we got him back last night.

he is dirty and thinner, but ok.

i have just been combing him and he has these white bugs buried into his skin.

What are they and how do you get rid of them ?

i have just pulled one out and it hurt him a bit.

we have front line flea drops, but would like to know what they are first.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Ticks are usually dark in colour so I'm not sure, unless they are very young ticks :confused: Ticks need to be removed carefully so that no mouth parts are left. You can buy a little tool which hooks round and pulls them out safely but if he has got a lot of them I think I'd take him to the vets just to be sure that they are ticks.
    I'm not sure if Frontline works on ticks? I don't remember any treatment working on my semi-feral mog, it was just a matter of pulling them off.

3. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Good points above, if ticks are not fully removed, they can result in nasty infections, so be careful. Keep in mind, once they have fed they drop off and so may be lurking around home, waiting for next meal :(

So maybe give vet a call and get tick remover, drops, vet nurse will show you how to remove them.

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Definitely sounds like ticks. How many altogether? If it's ALOT I would take him to the vets.

Firstly I would apply the Frontline-a spray would be ideal in this situation!

Ideally you need a special tick remover or a tweezers ( do NOT pull out by hand ) but you need to be extremely careful not to leave in head parts which can cause infection to set in later, though often this is unavoidable.

Normally they'll fall off when finished feeding! :(

5. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

My dog gets teeny tiny white ticks on his ears when he sticks his head in rabbit holes : puke: not sure which is worse, huge grey ones or little white ones:cryin:
    Might be worth taking him to the vet for a once over as he has been missing, most vets will be open normal hours today. Otherwise frontline spray and a o'tom tick remover and a strong stomach and patience...although the little ones are buggers to remove

6. marsaday

marsaday PetForums Junior

Well i have taken 2 out that is all. one by hand and he didnt like it and the other by tweezers, which he also didnt like. They were small and had sacs filled with a liquid, but not blood.

The heads may well be still in there.

He is ok and is resting, but he may need some treatment. he also has an ingrowing toe nail i think on his back foot. just noticed it now. i think he has had this for a good while and was in the rspca cage for 11 mths, so this may be the cause.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice