Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat throwing up brown vomit - xrays/ultrasound/hydrolysed diets - inconclusive (image in thread)

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Wadi16, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Wadi16

Wadi16 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but wanted to ask you all if you might have any idea what is going on with my cat. I'm really worried for him

History is detailed below:
    Weight: 6.2kg
    Neutered domestic short hair

Over the last 5 weeks he has been vomitting brown liquid. sometimes its really thin, sometimes its more thick (like semi-disgested food).
    This has happened like clockwork every Thursday around 4-8am. It seems like he eats, goes to sleep but in the morning when he wakes up he throws up pretty much once a week. It looks like semi-digested food and has some hair in it. Sometimes there is more or less hair. In the 5 years i've had him he has never vomited like that! usually it is visible undigested food as he eats too fast - never this sort of brown sludge.

We took him to the vets, initially they gave him acid reflux injection and vomiting pill, but when we reduced the dosage this didn't really stop it. He has xrays and an ultrasound done and it was all clear - no obstructions. They then suggested he gets put on a hydrolysed protein diet for 8 weeks to rule out any irritation from food. He has been on it for about 6 few days (but we have just weaned him off his old food yesterday totally) so its too early to tell, but we hoped the vomiting wouldn't happen this morning

The vets suggested that if he keeps vomiting that he might need exploratory surgery and they mentioned IBD. What strikes me is that it happens on time every Thursday after waking up and its always: brown, most of time has clumps of hair. The fact that it is weekly tells me that something takes a week to build up...it could be a hairball or it could be increased inflammation from food over the week and then it reaches its tipping point and he pukes.

I don't know if its hairballs causing this suddenly, or if it gets worse with age as its never happened like this before? or if the hairballs coming out are due to a bigger/different issue like IBD causing inflammation and vomiting?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hi, I'm not sure what your cat's issue is but it sounds like it could be IBD. I have recently read that vomiting a lot of hairballs can be linked to IBD in cats. Over time this can turn into cancer without treatment, but hydrilysed protein is a good choice for these cats. My cat is also having exploratory surgery tomorrow morning. I reccomend RC Sensitivity Control food, I dont yet know of any other hydrolised ones, but single protein and grain free are also good choices.

3. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Member

How odd. Do you brush him regularly to keep his hair intake down? Maybe it's irritating his insides.

Not sure if it's any help but my cat has IBD and in fact nobody wanted him from the rescue centre as he needed 'special dry food' which was quite expensive and he seemed to take no pleasure in at all. We solved it simply by feeding him grain free wet food (literally any brand as long as no grains and he's fine).

He also throws up this kind of liquid if he hasn't eaten in a while and his stomach is empty e.g. if I sleep in too late.

4. Wadi16

Wadi16 PetForums Newbie

It very well could be to do with grooming but I've never had this issue with him in the last 5 years - in fact prior to 5 weeks ago i'd never seen a hairball! It may be that as he has gotten older and we've gone into the summer that it is worse? (though, i'm not sure really).

We have bought him hairball treats and pastes, but we've been told by the vet to keep him on his hydrolysed diet for another 7 weeks - so we haven't been able to try them. I think if it still occurs after 7 weeks it'll indicate that it may not be food related. In the meantime i will try to reduce the hair he ingests by investing in better grooming mitts and will report back!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice