UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the last two mornings I have gone in to their room to find dark brown sick all over the floor. What a great idea of mine to use the remnants of cream carpet on the floor in their room! :frown:

I have a pretty good idea which Cat it was since her buster collar was also soiled, and it's the same Cat I had trouble with before. To remind you of the background, one of them had been vomiting on and off since I got them in January. It happened on all kinds of food. I took them to the Vet who reamed me out for feeding raw and tried to convince me to feed them a diet of Hob Nobs aka Hills Science (yeah right!) Plan. At that time I was still leaving them a bowl of Applaws Dry during the day. I stopped doing this and the vomiting stopped. I went away overnight and left it out and again came home to a pile of vomit. They now have no dry food at all and the vomiting stopped for a whole month. The longest we have ever gone. I saw her retching once but she didn't bring anything up.

They have had Beef Heart the past 2 days, something she has tolerated well in the past. I don't know whether I should be concerned or not? My new Vet said some cat's just are sick more than others and she may just be bolting her food etc. She has no signs of illness whatsoever. Though since their spaying they aren't eating as much or as quickly as before.

Does anybody have any advice or has this happened to anyone else?

TMI but the vomit is dark brown bile with little bits of undigested heart in it.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
hmmm

There is some evidence to suggest that some cats cant digest beef and lamb properly. Its not something that would have ever been a natural prey that they would have taken in the wild at any point. So the theory suggests that their digestive enzymes arent as suitable for breaking down these meats. However it is basically theory as the one study was only on a few cats with known feeding problems and doesnt look at a big enough picture to be considered fact. Still... its worth considering as a possibility.

Some cats do bolt their food down to fast, and whilst she has a collar on which in order to work must be fairly tight it may have added to the problem. Others tend to be sicky if they decide to have a manic play session after eating.

could it have been due to a hairball too? any sign she has a hairball to bring up?

I would try her on just a chicken based raw diet for a few days and see if it happens again (especially after her collar is removed).

sorry i cant be more precise.

sal x

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I had read that about Beef as well, but they have eaten it a lot and always been ok before. It's definitely not a hairball cos she hasn't been able to groom herself for almost a week.

Maybe it is that she is running around too much after eating. I really hope so.
I feel like I should be going back to the Vet but she has been examined by two now and neither seemed concerned.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
ooh just had another thought...

I assume (hope) the collar is because she has just been speyed. If not is there any way she could be preggers?, cats do get morning sickness :eek:

has anything else changed? washing powder, cleaning fluids, air fresheners, etc. Some of them can cause unwanted reactions (some are v toxic to cats, others just cause mild reactions).

My girl sheba often bolts down her food, and she will throw it all back up again later if she has gobbled it all too fast. Then she will either try to eat it again or leave it and let the dog eat it! :eek:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah she was spayed last Friday. They are both indoor cats anyway so no chance of any pregnancies.

No change in household cleaners etc either.

Interesting that you say your Cat eats her vomit because there have been times in the past when I've just found bile so maybe she has been doing the same.

I'm going to keep an eye on her for the next few days and see how she goes. I'm hoping she is just being a greedy kitty and eating more than her stomach can handle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.