Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat throwing up (a large amount) after food?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cain&Rosie, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Cain&Rosie

Cain&Rosie PetForums Newbie

I posted about my lovely cat/kitten Cain not long ago as we'd been having issues with a chicken allergy. Just as a brief explanation, we finally found him a food that works perfectly, it is adult but we're not entirely sure of his age and the vets assumed he was an adult cat anyway.

Everything has been going really well with this food, Cain is thriving on it and looks healthier than ever. However this morning he ate his usual wet pouch and meowed to leave the kitchen. I let him out and when I came to go to the bathroom I saw a humongous pile of cat sick!! Honestly it was like the dog had thrown up, but it was purely the food he had just eaten. For a little while after he kept drinking water which was concerning me a little, but he has stopped now.

I'm asking you guys because I panic a lot, my partner is currently at work and I can't call the vets until 1pm. We will be calling to get him booked in if the vet thinks he needs seeing, but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas until then??

He has been meowing at me for food since, playing normally, having cuddles etc. But I know how good cats can be at hiding what's wrong with them.

The thing is when he had a bad allergic reaction to his food, he threw up a few times due to it and each time it was such a tiny, cat appropriate bit of sick, but this time it was like he had just put a whole pouch of food in his mouth and spat it back out with extra liquid...

Any help or advice until I can get him to the vets would be soooo appreciated

2. KittyNat

KittyNat PetForums Junior

One of my cats has a bit of reflux if she likes the food and gobbles it all in one sitting. She would then regurgitate it (almost as if she hadn't even chewed it). She was always fine in herself and then asked for more food!
    We put it down to the fact that she just ate too much, too quickly.
    If you are worried about him being allergic, just keep an eye on him when he eats the food, but it sounds like perhaps he has eaten it too quickly maybe.

Cain&Rosie likes this.
  3. Cain&Rosie

Yeah that's basically what happened here!! It didn't look like he had chewed it at all. Although he's usually the same with wet food! I might have a look on amazon for a bowl divider and see if that helps him slow down a little they don't half know how to make us worry right?!

In regards to the allergies he's on some noval foods at the minute that he definitely shouldn't react to, so hopefully it's not anything to do with that!

Thanks for your help :)

4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Try feeding him little and often.
    Perhaps try giving half his normal portion, then giving the rest 30-40 minutes later.

Calvine, chillminx and Cain&Rosie like this.
  5. Cain&Rosie

He's due his dinner now so will try this, thank you! :)

6. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Also spread the food out thinly over the entire surface of the bowl/saucer so it stops him hoovering up the food so quickly.

chillminx and Cain&Rosie like this.
  7. Cain&Rosie

Brill idea! He was fine with his dry biscuits at lunch but will try this with his wet food at tea time. Thinking to give him a spoonful at a time to give him a second between each bit just to slow him down!

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Cain&Rosie - regurgitating undigested food can be due in cats to excess gastric acid in the stomach. This can happen when they have gone too long without food. As SbanR advised, Cain may cope better digestively speaking, if you were to divide his daily food allowance up into more meals, i.e. feed him 'little and often'

I feed my kittens 5 meals a day and my adult cats 4 meals a day. My ten year old cat who has IBD, Diabetes and food intolerances is fed 8 meals a day including 2 meals during the night. This feeding schedule has made a massive improvement in his general health, and I wish I had done it years ago.

Cain&Rosie likes this.
  9. Cain&Rosie

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. He's fed 3 times a day at the minute but will bump it up and see if that helps to settle him! Got a slow feeder bowl on the way too. Luckily feeding him slowly and small amounts at a time yesterday helped him, so I'm hoping all stays good!

10. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I see he has kibble for one of his meals.
    You could get him a puzzle feeder or treat dispensing ball and make him work for his kibble - that'll also slow down his eating.

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Most 'slow feeders' are not the best thing for cats as they cause whisker bruising. One of my previous cats used to bolt his food as a kitten so I began feeding him on a large tea plate (aka a salad plate) spreading the food all over the plate. This really helped slow him down as he could only take quite small mouthfuls at a time.

It is possible that Cain is bolting his food because he gets too hungry. Increasing the number of meals may well help. In the wild a cat would hunt and eat prey up to 8 times a day, so feeding our domestic cats little and often makes a lot of sense. :)

12. Cain&Rosie

I bought a slow feeder yesterday but ordered the wrong size unfortunately. I have found a good one in pets at home so think I'll pick that up for him tonight! Thanks for the help, vets never saw him as they thought it was him not digesting food properly, but so far so good!

13. Cain&Rosie

Thanks for your advice and help!! We did buy a slow feeder yesterday but it was too large and deep for him so like you said i didn't want to cause any issues for his whiskers. Luckily, our dog took that instead! I have been feeding him on a plate, doing meals little and often like you've suggested. So far this is going well, although I have a problem with my muscles so I'm finding it hard to sit here giving him little bits at a time, however I have found one from pets at home that is much more shallow and wouldn't cause an issue with his whiskers! So think I'll try that to see if it improves that way. So far little and often has gone really well, as long as I put a small amount down, let him eat it, wait a minute then put a little more down. We do half a pouch of wet food like this, wait an hour or two and then do the other half the same way. You can see just how fast he eats this way too, he barely even chews lol

14. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

@Cain&Rosie I don't think you ever gave more details i.e.
    Approximate age of your cat
    His weight, body condition score
    What he is fed, and how much. Both wet and dry.
    His activity level.

I wonder if something in his environment has changed and he now needs a little more food?

Cain&Rosie likes this.
  15. Cain&Rosie

Oh no I didn't on this post, sorry!

We're a little unsure on his age unfortunately. When he came to us we were told he was 4 months old, he's just a standard short hair domestic and he's been with us 3 months now, so should be 7 months old but he is massive. When we got him weighed last he was just over 4kg, the vet thinks that we were given the wrong age initially, as he looks like a fully grown adult cat and acts like one too (he poops once a day at the same time every day and has done since we got him).

Because of his chicken allergies we've invested a lot of time and money into finding him a suitable food, he is being fed nature's menu super food wet pouches, he has the duck and the turkey versions and has two wet pouches a day. He is also fed around 30 grams of dry biscuits a day, we had to settle for James wellbeloved dry indoor cat biscuits as he will have a reaction with any other biscuits. We were unsure on feeding him 2 different types of food and them both being adult, but the vet said as he's thriving on it and he has such bad issues usually with other foods that it is worth keeping him on this permenantly.

His general health is very good now and his weight is spot on. He's been checked for FIV and was finally able to have his first jabs the other week, with his second one's due on the 16th of October. When he came to us he had anemia and was riddled in fleas, but after many vets visits he's finally OK with that too!

We've moved house a couple of weeks ago, if that's relevant at all. He doesn't seem stressed in the slightest though and we've been using calming plug ins to help keep things calm for him and the dog.

His activity level is moderate really. He sleeps most of the day but early morning and night time he is usually pretty active and can play for hours if he's interested in something!

Sorry if I went overboard with information there lol

16. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

To save you sitting there and feeding him spoonful by spoonful, why not try spreading his food over several large saucers and placing them down in different locations!

Why not also try giving him a little extra food just before you retire for the night.
    Obviously monitor his weight!

chillminx likes this.
  17. Cain&Rosie

Oo that's a good Idea, I've been doing it on a small plate but still spooning it onto the plate for him, so think I'll try spreading dishes around the house, thanks!

I did that for him last night and it seemed to work well so I'll continue doing that too. He's back at vets in two weeks time so we'll be able to see if the increase of food has had the desired affect then :) I really appreciate all your help and advice, I've honestly never owned pets that have so many issues!! Him and our dog are exactly the same, always something going on lol

18. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

They do say having pets help to destress us:D

Booksniffer and Cain&Rosie like this.
  19. Cain&Rosie

Lol if only :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice