Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat terrified of fireworks / thunder / cars backfiring

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Franlow, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Last autumn, a couple of weeks before Nov 5th, I realised how terrified of fireworks Poppy is. She was on my lap when one went off outside & she wet herself. It was absolutely dreadful for her & she had only been with us for 3 months by then. I have all the feliway etc, but it got so bad that my vets prescribed Xanax which really zombie her out. I really don't want to go down that route again this year as fireworks / Divali etc seems to go on for 3 weeks or so, then again at Christmas, then thunder etc
    I know you can buy c.d's to de sensitize dogs, would this work with a cat? I want to leave a long time, so we can work towards this patiently.
    I do not have a room without windows - the bathroom is the worst place as I have a huge skylight. She runs to me for comfort & climbs under my clothes, then wees. I know she can't help it but, it isn't particularly nice :) I also worry about what happens when there is thunder overnight.
    I am positive that her previous owners left her out no matter what. At 12 she didn't know how to walk properly on carpet - her claws were not long, just perpetually out. It took 3 months before she would put them away when walking. It breaks my heart to see her so scared & she deserves some serious loving & spoiling.
    I hope someone can help.
    She is healthy, no reason for the weeing apart from the fear.
    She spends every day curled up next to me - could really do without it in this weather, but, how can you say no to this face?
    [​IMG]

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

She is a very pretty girl isn't she! :) Such a sweet face. :)

My girls are very frightened of fireworks, thunder etc too. In my case I am lucky that in my area the fireworks only last a few days around 5th November, and a few at midnight on new Year's Day. Even so, they can be extremely noisy especially those Chinese crackers that bang as loudly as a bomb going off!:eek:

My method to reduce stress for the cats is : on the day before I give them both a Beaphar Calming spot on. Then in the evenings I try to create as calm and safe an atmosphere as possible by closing all the curtains and putting soothing music, or TV on in every room including bedrooms. This detracts to an extent from the noise outside. One of my girls will still hide under the bed all evening but I know she feels safe under there and she is fine once the bangs have stopped. :)

huckybuck likes this.
  3. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

Around bonfire night we do the same as @chillminx, we shut all the curtains and have the tvs turned up. Unfortunately there are still the odd times throughout the year when fireworks go off unexpectedly.

4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

She looks such a sweet gentle loving girl.
    I hope u do manage to reduce her fears

5. Franlow

Franlow Guest

I don't actually have any curtains :)
    I live above shops & am not overlooked, so, never saw the need for them. I have got curtain poles though, so, could just drape over a blanket I guess. I just wondered if there was any way of stopping the fear. The others sit on the windowsills & watch!

6. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

We get different reactions from our lot. Some aren't particularly bothered and others scuttle around with their tails down. We've just had new windows and the two tabbies were either hiding in the middle of the biggest bush or in the bottom of the wardrobe. The two blackies weren't that bothered.

7. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I have the CD but haven't had the patience to use it properly yet.

I do think the concept will work for the noise.

In fact I might start again with it in the run up to bonfire night.

This is the one we have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CLIX-Noises-and-Sounds-CD/dp/B005LFOVWW

Some of the sounds aren't that realistic but the fireworks def are!

You start off almost silent and gradually work up very, very slowly each time you play.

ETA like CM I also up the calming anti about a week before making sure all the Pet remedy diffusers are fresh and spot on calms go on.

chillminx likes this.
  8. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Thanks for that HB, definitely worth a go

huckybuck likes this.
  9. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I think they pick up on your worry too. I try to act normal. A year down the line, she might be a little more relaxed. Blue is not fazed by noise i.e. Hoover or hairdryer. She will shift if I am hoovering but that's more about being disturbed.

Iv runs at the Hoover. I think that's because he was a rescue and learnt noise is danger. Blue had always lived a charmed life so isn't street smart. We don't get fireworks too often and when the thunder was on this week, I just crashed about a bit. I would go for distractions , a full stomach and the spot on calmers.

I got a sample of pet remedy off a well known forum member and it knocked them out. I have used beaphar too.
    X

huckybuck likes this.
  10. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

my old Harrycat wasn't fazed by the noise of fireworks, but absolutely hated the sparkling lights they made in the night sky ! Ditto with thunder and lightening - thunder = couldn't care less, but lightening = go and hide ! So it was always a case of drawing the curtains when either were due.

Don't know how Missy will react yet as she's only been here 4 months, so with her it's a case of 'wait and see' (although she took no notice of the last thunderstorm we had). But I'll probably plug in the Feliway come November - just in case !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice