Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat swallowed hard and big piece of plastic

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Famkesita, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Famkesita

Famkesita PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I really have some weird problem here and would appreciate any suggestion and opinion.
    On Saturday morning, my cat SOMEHOW swallowed 10 cm long plastic bag triangle shaped corner, very stiff plastic bag. It happenned in front of my eyes. I cut that piece of plastic with scissors and she got to it very fast and swallowed it.
    I took her to the vet Tuesday morning to do x-ray, and they haven't found any obstructions. She didn't poop it either because she stopped pooping from Sunday morning. It's Tuesday now and she didn't poop yet. She doesn't vomit and eats normally. I checked the poo on Sunday and there was no plastic inside.

So, why would she stop pooping all of the sudden? The vet says there's no obstructions visible, but I afraid they're missing something.

Any advice? I'd pay hundreds of dollars if I just could get some proper help from the vet. But they seem not to care so much.

Sending you the pic of the eaten part of the bag.

Attached Files:

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The fact that your cat is not pooping would suggest there may well be an obstruction.

I would consult a different Vet.

Tigermoon, pennycat and buffie like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with @Rafa ,get a second opinion from a different vet.Plastic is unlikely to show up on an xray ,does she normally poo on a daily basis?

4. Famkesita

Yes. She used to poop once daily. How would then be possible to detect that plastic if not x-ray? Is there another method?
    They told me about the method using liquid agents.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sorry I can only suggest doing an ultra sound which may show up an abnormality but I'm not a vet.

6. Blacky90

Blacky90 PetForums Junior

I'd suggest a contrast xray if they didn't do that already.

7. Famkesita

Hello and thank you all. Just went to the vet and they'll do the liquid xray to check if there are obstacles. Today morning she wouldn't eat. But finally drinks water. However, not pissing. Pooped finally too but very, very hard consistency.
    I'm freaking out waiting. She'll be stressed even more from all the vet visits.

8. Famkesita

Update: nothing found on contrast xray.
    She currently has 4 cm wide urinary bladder. A whole night is in front of us. She won't pee. I don't know what to do. Vet said 4 cm shouldn't be a problem. She drinks water only, won't eat. I'm completely torn.
    She's resting now, twitches a bit with her head and makes small sounds. I don't know what to do and I' starting to think she's only getting worse by visiting so many veterinarians. :(

9. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

Sounds serious. I’m obviously no vet but if she’s eaten something that large surely they have to get it out of her?! Can you go to a different vet?

10. Famkesita

I will ask for a second opinion based on xray images. It worries me now more that she won't pee.
    :,(

11. pennycat

What did your vet say about her not peeing? Aren’t they concerned?

12. Famkesita

She suddey died. Plastic wasn't found. I am devastated.

13. pennycat

How awful. I don’t understand why the vet sent her home :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice