Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat suddenly seems fatter?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Hanwombat, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Ok I got Bear back in March this year from Wood Green Animal Shelter, he was a whopping 7kg as his previous owner never let him out and just fed him loads.

Anyways since getting Io a week ago, its like his doubled in size? He was steadily loosing weight but did still look fat.

Now I don't know if its my eyes deceiving me as Io is sooo small and then I look at Bear and realise how fat he is or its something else?

2. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Post some pics - the Elders of the Forum will pass judgement.

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Could be winter coat coming in, mine have started :)

4. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

Just what I was thinking :)

5. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

correct me if i'm wrong but are you a member of the guinea pig forum? i seem to recognise your username and i remember a story like yours on there:)

6. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

If you knew he was losing weight but still looking fat you must have been weighing him. Now you think he looks like he's putting on weight... but you're not sure. Can you not simply weigh him again?

7. Hanwombat

I don't have any scales and you need to understand that Bear is not really a friendly cat... hates being picked up, hates being asked to do something, hates kisses, hates hugs... only likes the occasional stroke but then soon claws you.

Perhaps it is his winter coat, just so used to have skinny cats previously I guess.

He actually slept on our bed last night, which he hasn't done since we got the puppy a week ago so hopefully he's going back to his old self.

I am on TGPF yes :)

8. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Your post is a little confusing is Io another animal or a typo ?

You can't really know if Bear is loosing or gaining weight without weighing him.

9. Hanwombat

Io is my puppy rottie

10. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

^^^ that's it. Get him on the scales! Maybe easier said than done... but worth the effort, if only for the peace of mind. :)

11. Hanwombat

I shall order some scales and give it a go.

Hes gone back to his normal self now at least :) Back to sleeping on the bed again and meowing at any hour of the night :thumbup1:

12. Prowl

Prowl Guest

He sounds like a typical cats if things are not on their terms they use their claws to tell you their not happy.

Its good your giving him his space if does not like to be picked don't pick him and nuzzle him as your going to get scratched!

Do you leave treats around for your new puppy? Is their any other food sources your cat can get at? Such as tid bits between meals, shairing food ect.

Have you established meal times or does your cat eat whenever?

Does your cat get to go out now? If so its possible he could be stealing food from neighbouring cats.

His nature is no excuse to ignore his health but I know its not easy to handle a pet that does not wish to be touched.

My vets weigh my dog for free so their no excuse not to get a cat weighed though it maybe a good idea to get him health checked just to rule out any health concerns.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice