Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat suddenly gone off food

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jazmine, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

Hi

My 10 and a half year old cat has suddenly decided he no longer likes his food. It's the same food he's been eating for years so I'm a bit confused. Both wet and dry are suddenly not interesting enough. He is obviously hungry, and will happily eat treats/tuna anything else, so I'm fairly sure there's nothing wrong.

I had a quick poke around his teeth, nothing seems to be a problem there either.

Should I try tough love? I had thought about popping him down to the vet but seeing as he's tucking in to other stuff quite happily it seems clear it's nothing medical?

2. kimberleyski

kimberleyski PetForums Senior

If he's eating other things than hopefully it's nothing medical. But if it's any consolation Dorothy changes her mind on the food she likes on a daily basis. I think it's a cat's prerogative! :rolleyes:

3. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

It's just rather irritating that he waited until I'd just bought another huge lot of his food before deciding he doesn't like it any more!

Hopefully he won't expect tuna for tea this evening...

4. kimberleyski

kimberleyski PetForums Senior

I know I do the same thing! I have a cupboard full of food Dorothy has decided she doesn't like anymore!

We are getting a new cat hopefully soon so I will see if she will eat it, and if not will be donating the lot to a rescue!

5. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

I think it's just a cat thing, Flo ate wet food for years, but around this time last year, she decided that was enough, now she just says 'no thank you' to it. I tried the tough love approach, but it didn't work, she just starved herself! Sometimes, I think we just have to accept our 'slave' status and go with it! Provided your boy is well in all other respects and is eating other things, then I wouldn't worry too much, frustrating though it is!

6. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

He's looking much younger than his years, and usually has an insatiable appetite.

I have been out and bought some different food for him to try this evening so we will see how he goes with that.

I know all too well that cats would rather starve than eat something they don't like; years ago when I was a poor student I took in a starving stray who was on deaths door. Being on a limited budget, I bought her supermarket own brand cat food, and she refused it! Home-cooked was the only way to get any food down her :rolleyes:

7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am not going to try and argue that cats are NOT awkward, picky, faddy eaters.....but I must say that SOMETIMES there can indeed be medical issues underlying.
    Even the greediest of cats may partially lose appetite if they feel unwell, but allow themselves to be tempted by some extra tasty, usually limited, treat foods.
    So, I would try and tempt him to eat some other balanced food, but if his appetite wanes any further i would consider a vet visit.

8. jilvis

jilvis PetForums Member

My cats are fussy little so-and-sos too and will generally change their mind about a food brand a day or so after I bulk buy it (thinking its their favourite). I have hopes it will come back into favour though and hold onto it and so far this has worked out ok - no major wastage yet!

9. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

He could be bored, or the manufacturer may have made a formula change. What food has he been on?

10. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

Its the Purely range by P@H. Not the best food I know, but the only one he seemed to enjoy. I did think they might have changed the food but his sudden disinterest happened halfway through a bag.

Ollie has spent most of the past 24 hours trying to con food out of us. Jumping onto work tops, even trying to take food that was cooking on the hob. He has given up for now and begrudgingly eaten some of his own food, though a smaller amount than usual.

I will monitor over the next couple of days and decide if he needs a vet visit or perhaps a new food.

11. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

That's odd. I think I would visit the vet in your situation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice