Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat suddenly become a picky eater

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by o3osaraho3o, Oct 4, 2020.

1. o3osaraho3o

o3osaraho3o PetForums Newbie

My BSH boy is a 1 and a half years old now. Since he was a kitten, Ive tried introducing him a range of multiple wet food so that he does not become a fussy eater. Thankfully, he wasn't fussy at all when it comes to food.

Now things are getting changed though. We normally feed him animonda carny (complete), Bonita (complete), thrive (complete), almo nature(complementary), applaws (complementary).

We have been feeding him four times a day, normally around 80g per meal (that's about the maximum he would eat). We feed him three complete meals and one complementary meal a day.

Although we have tried, I think he is getting bored with animonda, thrive and Bozita and getting a bit picky. He would just sniff and leave when he gets the meals but would eat more than amount when he gets any complementary food.

I am not sure if I have been introducing him too much food and complementary as well so that he is becoming bored at his main foods... any solutions or suggestions? or any other good brands of complete that he might like? (Tried Ferringa when he was a kitten but he wasn't that keen)

#1 o3osaraho3o, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  2. ribbon

ribbon Resident idiot

Mine really like wild freedom and rosie's farm, both complete and from zooplus. Very reasonably priced too. Might be worth a try just for a bit more variety. I find mine like a good variety of makes as they get bored quickly otherwise

o3osaraho3o likes this.
  3. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

One is a leanardo chicken fan consistently and the other home cooked mince with Felini complete and the rest is hit and miss lol they will like something one minute and the next minute they won’t.. I usually have quite a few at hand - rosies farm, animonda, mjam mjam, smilla etc. Sainsbury’s delicious in jelly goes down well too. One cat is fussier then the other and they like different foods, I find sprinkling freeze dried treats on the food does help when they get fussy - I get the cosma xxl freeze dried treats for that

o3osaraho3o likes this.
  4. o3osaraho3o

Thanks I use zooplus too. Will look into both brands you mentioned! yeah I find that cats at this age can get easily bored with what they have eaten so far..

5. o3osaraho3o

Thanks! have seen Cosma at zooplus so will have a look!

Whompingwillow likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@o3osaraho3o - 320 grams of good quality wet food a day (4 x 80 g) is quite a lot for a BSH cat, being an average build species. [I assume he doesn't have dry food as well, or treats?]

What is his weight like? Is he an indoor only cat or does he go outdoors every day?

I would say that now he is 18 months old and his rate of growth will be slowing down, he probably doesn't need as much food as he did when he was a fast growing kitten. If out of habit he is eating more than he really needs to eat it will dull his appetite and this could manifest as a lack of interest in his food (e.,g, sniffing and leaving it,) or being picky as to what he will eat..

However it is true that some cats get bored with their foods after a while and want a change.

My suggestion would be to reduce his food intake by about 10 grams a day to start with. Any reduction in a cat's food intake should always be gradual so as to avoid a nasty illness called liver lipidosis. If he seems happy with 75 grams per meal, then I would think he doesn't need 80 grams per meal.

After a few weeks on 310 grams a day reduce by another 10 grams a day, making his daily allowance 300 grams. Which still seems a decent amount to me. Of course if he starts complaining he is hungry increase his allowance back up by 5 to 10 grams a day.

Keeping a daily record is useful when adjusting a cat's diet, and also weighing each meal on digital scales (they have smaller increments than ordinary scales).

It's important to weigh him once a week at the same time of day, to ensure he is not losing more weight than you want him to lose. The best scales are digital baby scales sold new on ebay for about £20.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_....m570.l1311&_nkw=digital+baby+scales&_sacat=0

Tikathecat and o3osaraho3o like this.
  7. o3osaraho3o

Thank you for your advise! Simba is an indoor only cat and 7 kg atm. He sounds huge (yeah he is) but at the vet visit two weeks ago, the vet said he is just a huge chunky boy, not fat or anything. So he is fit. I give him treats (dry chicken from thrive) for only training purposes so he's not getting a lot of treats.

In the past, he had been eating all the meals that were given and sometimes had been asking for more, but now he tends to leave a lot of amounts especially at dinner and night times. (would eat more than 80g in the morning as he's a lot hungry).

We thought it was the issue of him getting bored with some foods as he would still keen to eat clean his dish when complementary foods were given but I will try reducing slowly as you suggested, and also try introducing the new range of food carefully at the same time.

#7 o3osaraho3o, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I think the fact he is leaving a lot of his meals is an indication he is not so hungry, so it will be good to reduce the size of his meals. Maybe keep the breakfast to the same size as he is used to as he will be hungry after not eating all night. And decrease the size of his other meals, but perhaps leave his supper as it is.

The Thrive treats are fine for him, :)

o3osaraho3o likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice