Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat stopping using litter box

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Kenzielovesfrogs, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Kenzielovesfrogs

Kenzielovesfrogs PetForums Newbie

Hello! I got my kitten Nancy in June and she came to me not litter box trained. I quickly got her using litter boxes, however I believe she is more location trained then she is litter trained because when I moved her litter box she went to the bathroom in the old location a few times and tried to bury it. Well now she finally has adjusted to her new location which is enclosed in a cabinet and she also has one outside in her Catio (currently blocked off due to hazardous air quality) well about 2 months after using her new litter box location I found a bunch of her urine and feces in a cat tunnel that she loves to play in, well I’ll give her a pass because it was sitting where my little dog had urinated in the past. Well now she just got spayed recently (acting more active than normal) and she has now used her bed and the bathtub as a place to urinate. Both times she tried to bury it and looked super confused. I’m a bit of at a loss on what to do, how can I keep her from going places that isn’t her litter box.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Kenzielovesfrogs and welcome :)

It is always the actual position in the house where the litter box has been habitually placed that the cat associates as their toilet. This is why you must never move a litter box once the cat has got used to it being in a certain place. If you do you will confuse the cat or kitten and you risk ending up with a kitten or cat who soils the floor where the box used to be.

Your kitten came to you untrained in litter box use and you managed to train her successfully. Now she has lost track of what she is supposed to do and is completely confused so you need to go back to square one and start the training again.

Provide her with 2 or 3 litter boxes, open ones, not covered, and place them in different quiet spots around the house where she spends most of her time, and leave the boxes there. Do not move them!

You can always add an extra box if need be, but do not take any away.

3. Kenzielovesfrogs

Kenzielovesfrogs PetForums Newbie

Her current litter box has been where it’s at since August, and it wasn’t till after she got back from her surgery that she started doing it in random locations. It’s only ever urine never feces.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

As I mentioned, she needs more than one litter box, Two is the minimum requirement for one cat. Cats like to pee and poo in different places. If she only has one box and she is pooing in it then she will not want to pee in it once it has poo in it,

Are you providing a fine grain litter and is it a clumping one? Clumping litter is essential as it is more hygienic and it is easier to keep the box clean for her so it does not smell bad,

What age was she when spayed? Are you certain the urine soiling started after spaying and not just before? Had she come into call (heat) before she was spayed?

Was her spay op straightforward, no complications? Was she unwell afterwards?

Did anything in the home change at the same time as she was spayed? Is she your only cat? How long have you had the dog? Does the kitten get along with the dog?

Are the kitten's litter boxes out of the way of the dog, so the dog cannot get at them?

Are the boxes in quiet places, not right next to a noisy machine such as a dishwasher etc?

What are her stools like?

Has your kitten been seen by the vet since she began soiling for the vet to check there is no urinary tract infection or cystitis?

Are you feeding your kitten a wet food diet to help her bladder and kidneys work better?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice