Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat stool blood and weight

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MilkyVanilla, Oct 30, 2018.

1. MilkyVanilla

MilkyVanilla PetForums Newbie

Vanilla is 4 and a half months old. I’m worried about her weight. She is a big breed ragdoll cat and currently weighs 5 lb I think she is underweight because I have another ragdoll at the same age and he weighs 7 lb. She hasn’t been neutered yet, but I plan to get her fixed when she’s atleast 5months old. This week I noticed blood in her stool.. it happens occasionally.. I attached photos of it. I don’t know if I should be concerned and take her to the vet immediately or next week when she’s due for her pre neutering check up. Does anyone know the cause of blood in her stool? What may be the possibilities? Other symptoms included frequent sneezing which has been ongoing since the day I got her 1 month ago.. she also snores during her sleep. She eats normally and plays normally.. showing no signs of pain. I am struggling with money at the moment so I hope it’s nothing serious that requires surgery.
    Some advice would be helpful so I know what to expect when I go to the vets.

Attached Files:

2. MilkyVanilla

Also I would like to add, I feed her only high quality wet food pouches by nature’s menu. And a few other good brand. Indoor only.

3. Lula10101

Lula10101 PetForums Junior

It could be a lot of things. I'd guess at either Coronavirus or some sort of worms/parasites....although it could be something totally different.

I would get your vets advice and ask them to do a full fecal test - that will test for lots of different things (including coronavirus and the more nasty parasites) and then you can take it from there.

Has she been like that since you got her?

Let us know how you get on.

4. MilkyVanilla

Yes she has. Her mother was very skinny though.. so she was only fed powdered milk sadly.

5. Lula10101

People might disagree with me on this, but I'd try and get her a bit better before putting her through any surgery if at all possible (particularly if she hasn't already started calling)

My money would be on Coronavirus, possibly with something else as well....and you don't want to stress her out if she has Corona.

If you have any other cats it would also be wise to stop them using the same litter trays, because if it is anything infectious, they may catch it too.

You could worm her with something like Panacur, but if you don't know what the cause is, then it may be best not to rush in with anything yet.

See what the vet says and good luck with it all!

6. MilkyVanilla

I took her to the vets this morning. They said her temperature is good, and she is quite small for her age and doesn’t want her to be any skinnier. When the vet took the thermometer out of her anus, there was blood on it.
    The vet prescribed her some panucur paste for deworming.. once a day for 3 days to see if her condition improves.
    In total that costed £48 (£10 for just the paste which costs £5 from other shops). I don’t know if worms has anything to do with it because she was dewormed by the breeder before I got her. The next step would be stool test if she doesn’t get better that would cost over £100 to send off to a lab. Problem is I can’t afford these atm so I’m not sure what to do. I’m worried :(

7. MilkyVanilla

I don’t think the vet was that qualified.. she didn’t know what the cause was and just said she looks fine

8. Lula10101

Sorry you didn't get any answers from your vet trip.

With the Panacur, it might be an idea to give her the three day dose that is supposed to be effective against Giardia, just in case that is what she has - did the vet mention anything about dose? If you look in the instructions booklet there is a dose for cats, one for kittens and one for giardia - I have heard mixed things about Panacur for Giardia so maybe someone with some experience of this might be along shortly to help.

An increased temperature is often a sign of an initial infection - but temperature can return to normal quite quickly after that so a normal temp doesn't mean that she doesn't have, e.g. coronavirus.

If you can't get the fecal tests, then I would say it is essential to keep your cats separate if you have any other cats in the house - just assume it is something infectious and proceed on that basis. If you can, put her in her own room, with her own litter tray, food and water bowl, and don't let her mix with your other cats.

Other people may be along soon and suggest dietary issues - allergies etc, and trying exclusion diets.

Play it safe and separate her from any other cats. Have a google of common infectious feline conditions - feline coronavirus, giardi, tritichomonas foetus, cryptosporidium etc and see if you think the symptoms fit.

9. MilkyVanilla

On the box, it says 1 graduation per 1KG kitten and vanilla is 2.3 KG. The vet recommended 3 graduations per day for three days which is a little more than the recommended dose. The question is how do I get her to eat it? It comes as a syringe. I tried mixing her favorite food with it, and she won't touch it. Am I supposed to squeeze it into her mouth?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice