Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat still on heat after spaying? ALWAYS hungry

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Gregzilla75, May 23, 2017.

1. Gregzilla75

Gregzilla75 PetForums Newbie

Hi, picked up a small cat about 2 1/2 yrs old from previous owner in Feb. Told me she only ate kibble. She was tiny. Since then I've fed her wet foods and she looks a lot bigger (normal size) now. On heat driving me nuts as in an apartment so had her spayed. Past few weeks she has got a LOT more vocal and hungry. Always crying for food. Constantly waking me up at 5am - a lot more 'aggressively' crying/miaowing - so i get up and give her a full pouch of food (i did try ignoring her for week or so, didn't work). Before I could go back to bed and get another hour sleep before she's crying again (for play maybe), but now it's straight after eating. still hungry, bored, wanting play, or something wrong? And throughout the day she is constantly hungry. Driving me up the wall and also concerned something is wrong.
    Toying with idea of another cat to keep her company, but could this make things worse?
    Is say four pouches of felix a day above the norm?
    House cat but I think she longs to go outside!
    Any tips to relieve boredom? She has a few toys and I do play with her but she's just so much more vocal lately and getting pretty annoying.!
    Oh, and she's not as affectionate as before - a bit more colder towards me now!

2. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum. I can't help with this problem, as I have never had this happen to me. But I do know there are threads that have been discussed on here before. I think you may need to talk to your vet. Maybe something got left behind. The reason I am saying this is because I think I read somewhere that if some is left behind they can still call and are still at a threat of pyometra ( I don't know if that's the right spelling. ) @Ceiling Kitty can you please help out here. Thank you in advance. Please phone your vet and have a word she may need another operation, to clear the last of her womb.

Viv xx

3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

If something has been left behind, it will be ovarian tissue. A vet is unlikely to leave the uterus behind so no chance of pyometra. However I expect there is still an increased chance of mammary tumours.

I am not sure that crying for food and being constantly hungry are signs of calling. Certainly never in my cats. Does she adopt 'the position' crouching down with rear end in the air? Most girls are more affectionate not less when calling.

4 pouches of Felix sounds quite a lot for a small cat but you could monitor her weight to see if that is stable. If she is not gaining too much, that amount is probably right for her. The symptoms you describe could be hyperthyroidism but she is very young to have that. It is probably best she sees a vet even if she seems bright because you think her behaviour is not normal for a cat.

OrientalSlave and vivien like this.
  4. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you. I did say I wasn't sure. But you have cleared it up for me.

Viv xx

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

One of my female cats aged 4 yrs old is of small build and slim and eats 3 to 4 pouches of wet food a day. She weighs 4.6 kg.

She has no health issues, is wormed regularly etc, and is very active, athletic and expends a lot of energy. If she can't go out in my garden she gets bored and restless and needs entertaining with toys that help her use up her energy. She is a cat who would never be happy staying indoors.

My garden is fenced in with cat proof fencing so she can't get out and there are squirrels and birds for her to watch, trees for her to climb, shrubs to lie under, 2 tall outdoor cat trees, 2 little cat houses and a wooden gazebo for the cats to use in wet weather. Perhaps your cat would be happier if she had safe outdoor access.

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There is a condition that can happen in spayed dogs and cats called ovarian remnant syndrome. What happens is that when the spaying is carried out there is some ovarian tissue left behind, if that tissue is still capable of producing hormones then you will still get all the behaviour and symptoms of seasons and heat cycles.

In dogs there is a blood test that can tell if ovarian remnant syndrome is the problem Oestradiol E2 test. I have just checked and there is a Feline hCG test which is supposed to be the most effective for testing for ovarian remnant syndrome in queens. although there is also something called
    a GnRh stimulation blood test too.

Joy84 likes this.
  7. Gregzilla75

Gregzilla75 PetForums Newbie

Thanks a lot for all the replies. On reflection I think it was incorrect to say she still seems on heat as she doesn't 'adopt the position' as before - just been perhaps overly concerned due her crying and eating a lot. And keeping me awake a lot! I haven't actually fed her 4 pouches in a day yet, but I'm sure she'd easily eat that much if I pandered to her. It's going to be a case of monitoring her food a bit better and trying to help her burn off energy somehow. And if I'm still concerned after another week then a visit to the vets may be in order.
    I have an enclosed garden with almost 6ft fence but my last cat easily scaled that and unfortunately she was knocked over, which is why I'm keen to keep this one indoors. How do you cat proof a fence???
    Incidentally, any recommendations for cat toys? I use a laser pen and fluffy thing on a stick to interact with her but she doesn't really show interest in the other toys which don't require my involvement. Usual stuff like plastic ball in a tube, scratch post etc.

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

9. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

my female cat is fairly small - just over 4kg and - she will happily eat 3-4 pouches a day at some pointa.

I have noticed that my cats tend to go through phases of wanting to eat. Some weeks they're ravenous and will eat 4 pouches each a day. Other weeks they don't even eat three a day

Can I also ask what wet food you're feeding? Some has very high carbs, which cat's can't digest - this means a proportion of the food effectively goes straight through. the higher the protein content the more they'll fill her up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice