Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Stairs for Older Cats and 'toddler proofing' ideas

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by blkcat, Apr 1, 2021.

1. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Senior

It seems I need to buy some more steps and possibly try to 'toddler proof' (cat proof) my flat because my cat may have fallen and injured himself. Details if your interested. I was quite surprised this has happened, because he doesn't really jump out climb much at all. I really don't want him to hurt himself again/more/worse :(

I think the mostly likely place it could happen I think would be my bed. Because he spends most time between the sofa and the bed. The sofa already has steps and the bed frame is made of metal.

I like the steps I have for the sofa. They're nice quality. But I'm wondering if they are too short for the bed.

IMG_20210401_190549.jpg

The jump up from the top step looks slightly taller than the height of each step.

IMG_20210401_190558.jpg

I wonder if he would have trouble seeing they were there if they are lower than the bed. What do you think?

I am also thinking about putting those foam edge protectors you get for toddlers on the edge of the bed. To protect him from the hard corners if he slips. Like this:

FiveSeasonStuff-U-Edge-Protectors-Green_800x800_crop_center@2x.jpg

Do you have any taller steps that you love? Some seem to get quite dodgey reviews and I'm in a hurry to get this sorted out.

Is there anything else you've done for your cats, or you think I should look out for when cat proofing a space for an older cat?

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I think the foam protectors are a great idea, but I would find steps that go all the way up to the top of the bed. How tall is that set?

Measure the height of your bed, with the comforter on it, and then go to Amazon and search pet steps and the height you need. Read the reviews carefully, you want something sturdy. Of course they can be weighted on the bottom if it turns out they aren't sturdy enough when you get them.

I have two sets of these and I love them and Mazy cat loves them where I put them but then she requested the second set for another location. They are 25 inches high and are best propped against something.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQ0YM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice