Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat spay gone wrong?!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Amieeb, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Amieeb

Amieeb PetForums Newbie

My 9 month old cat went to be spayed on Friday - I was told the operation went fine and she was sent home with me later that day. I paid for a medical vest because I couldn’t bear thought of her in a cone but she was really restricted in it and miserable so today (Monday) we’ve taken it off her and replaced it with a soft collar. She seems a bit less miserable with this new collar but she’s just not been herself.
    She’s been sleeping a lot (which I did expect) but she’s extremely lethargic - she normally wakes up around 6am and she’s been sleeping or not moving until about 10am.
    Her body has also been twitching a lot and she has been shaking her head and legs in the way that a dog would if it had wet fur.
    She’s on medication once a day which I did think the medication was giving her these side effects but I took her into the vets today for her post op check up and it wasn’t the best news.
    The vet said her temperature is on the high side of “normal” and that the incision is a bit red and swollen so we need to monitor it everyday. She said that if we are worried we should ring the vets and bring her in. The vet said she is very quiet and would like her to be more active than she is acting - prior to this she was always so energetic and following me everywhere.
    I’ve had a look at the incision and it doesn’t look right at all. It looks like it’s slightly open and it doesn’t look straight. I couldn’t really look at it properly as I could only look whilst her body was stretched to the side so perhaps that’s why it doesn’t look straight.
    Is there anything I can do for her in terms of making it less red or swollen? Has this happened to anyone else’s cats?

2. TiggyOne

TiggyOne PetForums Newbie

Sorry to hear your car is poorly after her spay.. did the vet give her antibiotics?

3. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Four days post op most cats are back to normal and the incision site is small and won't look angry. If the incision is red and swollen I'd be back at the vets demanding action. I've had a midline spay become infected before, and the vets had to operate to sort the issue and the cat was given a course of antibiotics.

4. Amieeb

Amieeb PetForums Newbie

She’s been given painkillers (Metacam) which she needs to take once a day for 5 days - it is the 4th day now but she still seems out of sorts.

5. Amieeb

Amieeb PetForums Newbie

I thought she would be back to herself at this point too, however I do think the collar she has around her neck is making her quite depressed as she feels restricted. I want to try taking it off for a short supervised time each day so she can go to the toilet properly etc but I’m not sure.

I do have a picture of the incision but wasn’t too sure whether it would be appropriate to post.

6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

They don't like the collars so you could take it off and see how she is then, just watch to make sure she doesn't go for the wound. If you post a photo of the wound it does make it easier for us to know if it looks ok or not.

7. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

My cats spay wound became infected and she needed a second op to remove necrotic tissue.
    This happened within 4 days of spaying. The vet who operated thought she'd had a reaction to the internal stiches.
    She then needed to wear a suit for over 2 weeks (she had several external stiches then) and she was quiet with that.

A picture would help and if its more up to date than when she last saw a vet you could send it to your vet to see what they think as well.

Calvine likes this.
  8. Amieeb

Amieeb PetForums Newbie

I took it off her today and within 2 minutes she was trying to like the wound so unfortunately the collar had to go back on.

I’ve uploaded a picture - it’s quite red and there seems to still be blood on the wound. She seemed to have perked up for quite a bit today and was back to her usual self but her body was still twitching. She’s back to being quite sleepy now.

Attached Files:

9. Amieeb

Amieeb PetForums Newbie

Oh gosh, poor kitty cat.

I’ll attach a clearer picture here. I’m booked in with the vets on Friday as they do want to see her but they’ve told me to monitor the wound. I’m scared that the incision looks open.

Attached Files:

10. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

It's hard to tell from a picture but it looks pretty good to me in these. I've never seen a dead straight midline spay wound, so the wriggliness of the incision isn't really an issue. It looks like it's healing well.

O2.0 and OrientalSlave like this.
  11. Amieeb

Amieeb PetForums Newbie

This is what it looks like today - I’m not sure whether it looks worse or not. I’m worried about the bottom part of the incision as it looks like it’s kind of opening up it’s that red. I’ll see if I can send a picture to my vets about it.

Attached Files:

12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Well to me it looks better. There is a lot of scab crusting, which is starting to break up and come away which is perfectly normal. However if you can send the photo to your vet, they will call you in earlier if there is any concern.

O2.0 likes this.
  13. Amieeb

Amieeb PetForums Newbie

Good news - the vets aren’t concerned. They said that it’s just scabs and that it looks like it’s healing just quite slowly. I’m booked in on Friday for another check up with her so fingers crossed that it’s all good by then.
    Today is the final day of her pain relief but she does seem much more perkier.
    Thanks for all your advice!

Arny and lymorelynn like this.
  14. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Looks nice and dry and not red or inflamed.
    Good the vet has put your mind at rest.

Isla's was pretty horrible, didn't think to take pictures at the time.

15. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

9A5CA9DE-B04D-40A1-8341-03D625B1A49B.jpeg

This isn’t from a spay but from a laparotomy incision, which got infected as madam managed to get her pointy nose under the body suit. As you can see the edges are all swollen and red and the wound doesn’t seem to be closing together. Whereas the top of the incision which she hadn’t got at was starting to close and the skin join up together. The bottom of the wound was also warm to the touch. This was about 4 days after the operation.

Your girls looks like it is knitting nicely together, hopefully she is feeling better soon.

Just to add this was a soft bamboo one piece body suit but unfortunately it stretched, we have switched to the MPS body suits and the pointy faced creatures can’t get their noses under.

#15 lillytheunicorn, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  16. Amieeb

Amieeb PetForums Newbie

I’ve just got home from another check up at the vets and unfortunately I was told Mimi’s wound is infected and therefore needs to be on antibiotics.

This is her wound today. The bottom of it is scabbing and the vet was worried that it might scab off but there’s a stitch inside of it :/

Attached Files:

17. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Oh no, how frustrating!
    Fingers crossed it’s only a mild infection that the antibiotics will take care of.

Amieeb likes this.
  18. Amieeb

Amieeb PetForums Newbie

Oh no, that looks so sore! How long did it take for her to recover? Was she prescribed any antibiotics for it?

We bought a MPS suit but she HATED it. The soft collar was definitely a better option for her because she’s more mobile now.

We’ve had some bad news that the incision is infected so she’s on antibiotics and back on pain relief. Just hoping that there’s no further complications!

19. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

She was quite poorly anyway, but the wound infection cleared up in a couple of days on antibiotics and cleaning with leucillin.

Poor little one but hopefully in the next few days your girls spay will sort itself out.

20. Amieeb

Amieeb PetForums Newbie

So my cats wound now looks like this - the scabbing has fallen off but now it looks like the wound is open. Should I be worried?

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice