Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat sleeping pattern

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Dai, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Dai

Dai PetForums Newbie

My cat is keeping us up at night. He's waking about 2.30am and expects us to get up with him. We've tried ignoring him but to no avail. He keeps whining and whining till one of us gets up with him.

Is there a way to change his sleeping pattern, so he sleeps when we sleep?

He's an indoor cat. a ragdoll boy (who is two today).

Attached Files:

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Cats are, by nature, nocturnal hunters so usual advice is to mimic their natural behaviour

stalk & catch prey / eat / sleep

to mimic that you'd need to give him a good, long play session late in the evening followed by last meal of the day and then bedtime.

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Is this a new thing for him? I'm wondering what might be waking him at this time of the morning? A neighbor with a shared wall perhaps, using the bathroom for instance? Can you play a radio or white noise somewhere, especially in the room that might be where the (possible) noise originates?

Or it's possible there is some animal going by a window at that time now, can you block all views to windows during the night?

He has trained you to get up when he does. Go back to ignoring him. Sometimes it can take a persistent cat time to get the message that fussing at 2:30 a.m. is not going to get a reaction. You've shown him it will, so now you will have to ignore him a bit longer until he learns to entertain himself at that time.

What's his daily routine? How much interactive play time does he get from you each day? What's his diet?

FWIW my cats (past and present) have always had the habit of getting up and having a play in the middle of the night. Each cat has a special toy they use for these Games, I call them Solitaire Games. They get up and play with the toy usually singing very loudly as they do it. They don't bother me with it. In all my years of living with cats I have experienced this phenomenon. I fact I've only ever had 2 cats who didn't do it out of all of them (including childhood cats)

chillminx likes this.
  4. Dai

Dai PetForums Newbie

As far as play goes Charlie will only play for about 2-5 minutes then he gets bored and stops playing.He'll rollover and play dead.
    He is allowed to go out into the back garden to play, chase flies etc. I have a cat fence around the top of the wood fence so he can't get out.
    he has just changed his sleeping pattern from what it was before. Not sure why. I've changed his feeding so the last meal is about 9pm.
    I'm hoping this will make a difference we'll have to wait and see. As far as favourite toy that's me and the wife apart from us he doesn't play with toys much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice