Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat skin- white dust?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by r bennett, Jan 16, 2020.

1. r bennett

r bennett PetForums Newbie

my black cat has dandruff- i have her a bath with moisturizing cat shampoo, and when i combed her just a few days later it was back again. it doesn’t seem like regular dandruff because there is so much of it. i tried to give her salmon oil but she doesn’t like it.

Attached Files:

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That certainly is a lot of dandruff. How often are you bathing her? Bathing can really dry out the skin, I would stop the baths now.

What's her diet? I would suggest feeding a wet diet (very high moisture) and adding an omega 3 supplement such as krill oil. Egg yolk can also be added to the diet, it is very good for skin and coat.

chillminx likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with lorilu. Your cat's skin does look very dry indeed. I would stop the baths. You may be able to resolve the problem by adding krill oil to her food once a day. Open the capsule and squeeze the oil on to her food and mix well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krill-Oil-500mg-Softgels-Cardiovascular/dp/B010C5IE6Y/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=11N01425QCZ3R&keywords=krill+oil+capsules+500mg&qid=1579184243&sprefix=krill+oil+,aps,141&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFNS1NEME5JQktPRzAmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTEwMzQ5NTgyOVZMQkJEWFRUT0xVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MTc1NDgzMElVVzJHSkNVVDJGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

However as there does seem to be an excessive amount of flaky skin (dandruff) it would be a good idea for the vet to have a look at your cat and maybe take some skin scrapings to rule out actual skin disease.

Also has your cat had a recent blood test to rule out any underlying disease such as diabetes, or chronic kidney disease, which can cause dry flaky skin? As can hormonal imbalances.

Cats who are indoors a lot can get dry flaky skin in centrally heated rooms due to the low humidity. If your cat is given a clean bill of health by the vet it would be worth getting a humidifier for the room where your cat spends most of her time to prevent her getting such dry skin.

lorilu likes this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

@r bennett Regarding the krill that both @chillminx and I mentioned. Just wanted to clarify that kril oil should be added to the diet slowly, otherwise diarrhea may result. (Plus, kitty may object to the taste until getting used to it). Start with just a little tiny squirt in some wet food once a day, gradually working up to what a capsule every day, or even half a capsule a day.

Same with egg yolk. Start slow.

If planning to use both, start with only one at a time.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice