Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Sitting

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by northnsouth, Oct 1, 2013.

1. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Every year when a member of my family goes away i look after her cats. I am happy to do it. That is until recently she has really taken the p. Last couple of times she never even said thanks or more to the point bother to ring to see how the cats had been. Yesterday at a family thing she took the mickey laughing how another member of the family has to pay £600 for 2 dogs kenneling for 2 weeks, laughing how her cats cost nothing........i will not let the cats down, it good to get a cat fix tbh but want to make a point i am giving her a qoute......2 cats 3 visits a day for 14 days £5 visit..... Reasonable charge,point made or a brat tantrum??
    What do you think?

#1 northnsouth, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. pipje

pipje PetForums VIP

3 visits a day?!

Unless she lives next door, I'd charge a heck lot more. The going rate here is 12 euro per visit (more than 2 cats= 1-3 euro more per cat).

3. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

A very reputable cat sitter in Dublin charges €25 per hour. Seriously, I think charging money is too little for a despicable being like her. I would do my laundry on her home (maybe to dye some clothes in), use pay-per-view, use her kitchen to cook things you wouldn't dare to cook in your own kitchen (thinking about deep frying stuff) and other small inconveniences to her. It's not about the money. It's about her attitude.

4. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

I would be angry about a comment like that. It sounds as though she doesn't appreciate you looking after her cats & is gloating at the fact that she's saving herself money. You shoukd charge £5 per cat per visit!

5. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

My sister has three cats and always has a cat sitter to visit several times a day when she's on holiday. I have three cats, and due to the fact we have a burglar alarm and daren't leave it off, our cats have to be restricted to our large kitchen/pantry when we're out. That's fine for a few hours at a time, but we couldn't restrict them like that for two weeks, so we use a cattery.

The price usually works out around the same ......

6. northnsouth

It is the attitude you are right I would never charge a friend or family for something. my daughter and her bf have just been away we had her dog here to stay. 2 phone calls while away, because she missed her.Straight here to get her when they got home and lots of thanks for caring for their precious dog. Also although i dont want it they took us out to dinner and bought treats for my dogs for looking after her.
    with my niece i know it is because she trusts me but it was the week later when i txt her to tell her the cats had fillowed me home,(i pass her home on my way to a from work and is the next road to mine), did she even say thanks. I should tell her to get lost get a cattery but i reallyl ike the cat fix

#6 northnsouth, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. fierceabby

fierceabby PetForums VIP

Cat sitters here in the Midlands are about £12 a day for once a day visits - £18 for twice daily visits....

I had next doors rabbit lodging with us for ten days - they bought all of his things round - run, hutch, food bedding etc along with treats for him and my rabbit, and on their return a big bouquet and a couple of bottles of wine! (I offered as they put up with our building work 12 hours a day for a fortnight)

My friends took the P on cat sitting - now I say no to everybody. It's too much of an inconvenience going round someones house twice a day. Ours always go to a cattery, even if it does add a couple hundred £££'s onto trips.

8. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

Maybe next time she offers think of an excuse not to or say you might not be able to do it, that way she could realise the true costs of cat sitting. You can always suddenly become available ;) but maybe she won't take you for granted.

I get my animals cared for for free when I'm away, not that we go away much, but I return the favour and cat sit for them.

9. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I changed my sensors to pet immune ones last year, cats have full range of the house :)

10. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Oooo ... didn't know you could get those. This alarm has been in for about 17 years, maybe they are a newer development. Having said that if they work by ignoring anything under about 4 foot it wouldn't work here - the Burmese spend almost as much of their time near the ceiling as they do on the floor.

11. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I am sure they ignore anything under 15kg :)

12. AtticusRavel

AtticusRavel PetForums Member

Oh poor you :( Hate to be taken for granted!!!!

I would also do as suggested, say you are not available next time, lets see what happens.

Or tell her straight away what bothered you ... "Listen, it bothered me how you said that it costs you nothing to care about your cats. It actually does, my time and effort, it's just that you are not paying me because we are family, and I'm ok with that- I just would prefer you not to take me for granted."

I'm the sort of person that calmly (hopefully hehe) would go straight to the point. It be good for you if one way or another you cleared it up, as these things can build up.. Or at least in my case they can.. then you explode and is worse!

She's lucky to have you :)

13. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

That was very rude and thoughtless of her... as you say you are thinking about her cats... but rrrrrrrrrr I wouldn't be very happy either... doesn't she even bring you a gift back as a thank you?

I have had a pet sitter popping in to see to my cat a few years ago and she charged £10 per visit... £15 if an over night thing.

Now I have pet sitter's who live in, I pay a fortune per day, I even have to pay petrol and £6.50 food allowance pp per day..

PLUS I telephone regularly to check they the sitters are happy plus all my animals and I still buy the sitters a gift every time, including Christmas presents....

If your not the kind of person who likes confrontation, get some other member of your family to say your deeply up-set and why!

14. northnsouth

I have told her not to extract the urine and suggested a pet sitting service. I am not free to do it. I have had enough tbh. This is the last in a string of things.Thanks for your views i feel bad but sometimes one needs to stand up for themself.

15. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I cat-sit for various friends, and for members of the local cat care society. For friends I do not charge, but for the society I get a refund for expenses.

If Iwere you, I'd start up a part-time cat-sitting service as a sideline, and charge a reasonable but realistic rate. Have all your family and friends, including this particular family member, know that you are an experienced cat sitter and using this experience to earn some extra money, or at least make sure it doesn't COST you any money in travelling expenses.

Stress that you are not charging nearly as much as a regular cat sitter, who runs it as a business, because it is a service to relatives and friends as much as a way of keeping your financial situation sound in this time of recession, and you understand the rate charged by a professional cat sitter would be beyond the means of some of them.

That way, the next time she wants you to look after her cats, she knows the going rate AND that you are still doing it at a bargain price, and is in fact only refunding your expenses....

16. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Good for you :thumbup:

Your obviously a very kind person and she has taken liberties....

I hope she thinks twice of bragging about anything in the future.

17. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Good for you :thumbup: I'm glad you've told her :)

When my sister and her husband lived close by and we had only Frank, her and her husband would cat sit and keep an eye on the house, they would visit 3 times a day, my sister wouldn't accept any money but at least I offered, even though she wouldn't take it I would leave it in an envelope for her with a thank you card, the money would still be there when we came back home, because of this I always bought her a gift and flowers to show my appreciation :)

18. katscat555

katscat555 PetForums Junior

I am lucky enough that I have my mum to cat sit for me.

She move's into my house for however long we are away. I provide all her food and drink (including packed lunches for work).
    I pay all her expenses for getting to and from work (as we live further away from her workplace and she doesn't drive) I leave extra money for her in case she runs out of anything, milk, bread etc. I also give her money for herself for doing me a massive, massive, favour and then bring her a present back from our travels as a Thankyou.
    I phone or text every other day to make sure there are no problems.

It probably costs more than a cattery/pet sitter would but it gives me peace of mind that cats are being very well looked after and my house is not sitting empty.

She also leaves her own dog and cat at home with my dad and doesn't see either of them for the time I am away..........I love my mum!!!!! :D

19. northnsouth

LOL someone else may be looking after the cat but the little monster has been visiting us all week .He has been groomed and had several cosy cuddles so as far as he is concerned there are no changes, No food though.:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice