Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat-Sitting help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by anna len, Aug 18, 2018.

1. anna len

anna len PetForums Newbie

Hello all, I am not a cat owner but I am looking for some advice. My neighbours have gone away for a long weekend and have left me responsible for their cat, who is about 17. I go twice a day at least to feed him, change his water and give him attention, however, two days in I have noticed that he is barely eating any of the food that has been put out. My first thought is that he is anxious and lonely. Despite his age, he is never left alone as his owners usually put him in a cattery, and while I am familiar with him, I don't know if that is enough. The only other suggestion is that I go with quite early in the morning and early evening - could that be changed? it might also be worth noting that when I visited him this morning, he had done a wee on the floor - it is unusual because he is very well behaved. Any suggestions would be helpful! I have made sure to clean his bowls out every visit and followed his owners' instructions (dry food in the morning, wet food in the evening). Thanks.

KoolK and Soozi like this.
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @anna len and welcome :)

it doesn't sound good that he isn't eating. The worry is that he may not be drinking enough to make up for the loss of the fluids he would get in his wet food. It could be very harmful for him to become dehydrated because his kidneys may not be 100% at his senior age.

Are you able to contact the cat's owners by phone or email to explain what is happening? They may have some suggestions as to other wet foods to try....or they may choose to return home early - if that is possible for them.

If it's not possible for the owner to return early, and you can't contact them, then you will need to take the cat to a vet to see if he is unwell, or has become dehydrated. I would do this tomorrow if he is still not eating - there are vets open Sunday a.m. in the UK e.g. Vets4Pets and Companion Care so you would not have to pay out-of-hours charges. (Keep the receipt so your neighbour can repay you).

I expect the cat has weed on the floor because he is anxious being on his own. Does he usually go outdoors to toilet? If so he might be better with indoor litter trays while the owner is away., as he would feel safer toiletting indoors.

There is always the possibility he has stress-related cystitis or a urinary tract infection (UTI) (which can cause cats to wee on the floor or furniture) another reason why you need to let the owner know what is happening with their cat.\

Please let us know how things go.

3. Burmesemum

Burmesemum PetForums Senior

Hi there, is his litter tray getting changed regularly as well? I know some cats are very fussy about their toileting.

Is there any way you could say for the day just to see if his behaviour changes if he has company? To see if he eats and starts using his litter tray again?

KoolK likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice