Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat sitters v cattery

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by soozeej, Jul 26, 2009.

1. soozeej

soozeej PetForums Junior

Hi we have a cat who was 1 year in May, we have recently bought a caravan and are wondering what to do for the best for the cat, when we have been away on holidays earlier in the year he went into the catter and was fine however we are hoping to get away for around a weekend each month and are not sure what to do for the best. The options would be put him into the cattery but I feel that it would be too much for him to go there so often as would maybe become stressful for him, we could leave him here in the houe and either get a neighbour to come in and feet him and perhaps let him out for a wee while or we could get a cat sitter to come in. Any ideas? Anyone used a cat sitter? is it generally better for the cat to be in his own environment or to be supervised in cattery?

2. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

I've not used a cat sitter before, only used a cattery. If you've got queries about cat sitters, send "Nina" a message as she runs a pet sitting business so she'll be able to talk you through your questions.

3. soozeej

soozeej PetForums Junior

Thanks Jo, now wondering about a cat enclosure which we could keep in the awning, the caravan site that we are going to go to for most weekends is only 20 minutes away from where we are and he could come into the caravan when we were there, one of the websites that I looked at said it was a good idea for camping....or am I mad?

4. soozeej

soozeej PetForums Junior

Well I think that idea is out, it was an australian site I was looking at which had portable cat pen/enclosure things. Back to the drawing board...

5. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Just my personal thoughs and what I would do if it were me...If I could find a trustworthy sitter or someone to pop in and feed I would opt for that over a cattery. I'm sure your kitty will be more comfortable in their own home. When my sister went camping for a few nights my Mum and I took it in turns to catsit and Jasper was fine.
    As you're going away so often (lucky you btw, sounds great, i'm green :D) maybe it's the best option? Do you have family or friends who could do that for you?

6. soozeej

soozeej PetForums Junior

Thanks, I think that's the way I am heading to be honest, I think it would be more stressful for all of us to try to take him with us i anyway shape or form and I really don't want to put him in the cattery regularly. One of my neighbours might be willing to pop in and feed him or I have found a contact number for a local cat sitterso I will get in touch with her and see what she says.

7. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Hi. One of my friends has a caravan which they use for weekends, & they take they're cat with them & he loves it! They have his litter tray in the awning & he either sleeps in that or in the van with them. He is an outdoor cat, but is quite happy in the van. If that's not an option, I would definately go with friends & family over a cattery if it's just for the weekend - much less stressful for both you & your kitty.

8. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

Maybe take him with you and use a harness with a lead pegged down to stop him going too far? xx

9. imfloppy

imfloppy PetForums Newbie

Hi
    we are waiting to collect our new arrival in a few weeks and are in the same position. We have a static caravan and are looking to have a screen fitted to the door so it can be left open to allow the air in without Henry escaping. Just a thought hope it helps.

10. soozeej

soozeej PetForums Junior

Thanks guys, I had been tempted to try to take him with us but my husband wasn't keen on the idea, he is concerned that he woud get out and dissappear and get lost and with two kids in and out of the caravan all day it would be hard to keep him in. I am not 100% happy about leaving him on his own though even with a neighbour coming in to feed him, will need to give it more thought! It's interesting to hear that some people have taken cats with them and found it worked ok, if we are hoping to go away more frequently it would certainly be a better option as he is part of the family...don't want to leave him out!

11. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi
    My Dad and Step Mum used to own boats and they had indoor cats mainly for this reason. They used to let them out on leads in the back garden and so when they went away on the boat, which was more or less every weekend, they used to do the same. The cats used to love it, they were pegged down with their leads on the river banks and they used to snooze in the cockpit on the top near the windows laying in the sun. What you need to bear in mind is that their cats were not used to going out so they had no inclination to try and escape. If your cat is an outdoor cat then it might try and escape and like your husband says what if he/she does and gets lost. If you think this might happen then it would be much better to get a neighbour to feed your cat while you are away. Maybe get them to keep him/her in so that you don't worry while you are away. That is what we are going to do. I think a cattery would be much more stressful, being in it's own home with all it's own comforts will be better even if it is lonely for a while. Once you have done this and he/she knows you come back it will become a routine and will get used to it. HTH
    Sharon
    x

12. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

My friend used to take her cat away in a campervan and eventually it ran off never to be seen again. If you are going to do this, it goes without saying that your cat needs to be microchipped and wear a collar with a tag containing your contact details.

13. soozeej

soozeej PetForums Junior

I have now spoken to one of my neighbours and she is happy to come in and feed Flash and check on him while we are gone. I couldn't decide what to do for the best for him, I don't want him to be lonely but then at least he is safer here rather than taking the risk of losing him. I was concerned about leaving him for 36-48 hours but is its likely to be less stressful for him then I will do it...he will probably just sleep for most of the time and not notice we are gone!

14. soozeej

soozeej PetForums Junior

UPDATE

Well we went away for the weekend, we left on Friday afternoon and got back 48 hours later on Sunday, my neighbour took a key and came in Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday morning to check on Flash and see if he needed any more food and water. He seemed fine when we came home! :D Think he missed the company a bit because he was extra cuddly last night but he is otherwise fine and I reckon much less stressed than he would have been if he had been stuck in a strange caravan all weekend. He didn't go out over the weekend, my neighbour said they opened the door to see if he wanted out but he just looked at them like the were daft :D So I feel better now to have the odd weekend away knowing he will be fine, thanks for all the input guys, its great to come on here and chat it through!

15. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

We go abroad every year and my mum and dad always get a cat sitter for our two cats ( tommy and susie ) they both use the shed and have beds in there, our neighbour comes round and feeds them ,they always wait for us when were coming back lol :)

there 10 and 13 now , each year either a family member or neighbour looks after them for 2 weeks when we go away.

16. impulce

impulce PetForums Member

I cant stand the thought of putting mine in a cattery (Not that they dont do a brilliant job, just that when they're used to having free run being in a pen is bound to be miserable!), and also have exotic pets that need feeding so use a catsitter (paw-pals.co.uk) is the franchise. Its something like £6.50 a visit and visits last around 1/2 an hour.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice