Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat shelving

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lullabydream, Mar 28, 2021.

1. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I don't know if it's because she's new here but Ivy certainly favours higher spots. Which is absolutely fine.

She's very content on her cat tree and favours the higher levels. She seems to be constantly looking up for high spots. So much different to my friends cat, who is very much a floor level cat. She even sees it as a problem to jump to where she is fed. Which our cats seemed very much like that too.

So, we have got a variety of more cat scratchers coming, everyone was most helpful thank you.

So downstairs will definitely need more shelving, so she can feel safe. Have already bookmarked a place that @lymorelynn shared for hammock type shelving so it's actual shelving.

What is good, and bad?

Terrible beginner I know, but I see some shelving and I look at it and think oh that's lovely, but is it really that practical or nice?

ewelsh and huckybuck like this.
  2. huckybuck

huckybuck Cat Chat long lost friend

Any shelving that she could sit on and lie on would be fine (and that can take her weight).

Think of the depth of a window ledge if she’s happy sitting or lying on one of those and that should be the min depth you’d need. I’d make the shelf long enough for her to lie on easily.

She’ll need easy access to get to it if it’s quite high (either from other furniture) or you could create a series of step shelves.

If you intend putting a bed on it obv it would need to be deeper but there are windowsill mats you can buy quite easily and cheaply which should fit.

Have you got a barrel on order - it’s not a shelf as such but most cats love them as they are a high up sleeping place.

buffie and lullabydream like this.
  3. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

We have previously bought some specific cat shelves (by catastrophic creations) and I've listed over a few different ones on made.com, Zooplus and a few other places. However the shelf the tonks liked the best was a simple wide pine shelf that was accessed from the top of the cat tree. It had carpet glued to it and was an excellent spot for surveying the living room.

I don't have any shelving up at the moment tho. A lot of it came down when walls were being replastered and hasn't gone back up. Right now the tonks just like sitting on my normal book shelves!

lullabydream likes this.
  4. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

We have the catipilla shelf in the garden that’s a good 3 years old. It holds the weight of over 10kg of cats at a time.
    A165C9B4-B124-4FDA-9CF4-F3396394B173.jpeg

ewelsh, TriTri, lullabydream and 2 others like this.
  5. Psygon

Oh I have looked at these and thought they would be good in the cat run!

lullabydream likes this.
  6. lullabydream

@huckybuck We haven't ordered a barrel as she doesn't seem to want to 'hide' like she was.

So basically I could make shelves myself and just put carpet on for grip.. Sounds OK even though the catipilla stuff looks amazing!

huckybuck likes this.
  7. GrimBladder

GrimBladder PetForums Newbie

I've seen some lovely (and expensive) cat shelving. But as we are pre-renovation at the moment I thought I'd try a cheap option for now to see how it goes. The cost was £27 delivered for two shelves and two steps. The third step was one I had previously ordered elsewhere.

Have to say it was really impressive for the money, and it's holding up well. Claude took a bit of convincing at first but now zooms up and down and loves hanging out near the ceiling. Glad I didn't spend loads as he quite enjoys chomping on the corners! I'll probably go for something prettier when we renovate but may just re-cover in a nice material.

Almost forgot, company was Petfix designs.

2021-03-28 21.44.40.jpg

8. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

Ours has held up really well, it’s under cover outside in the new garden and it’s a firm favourite place to sleep. It spent two years prior outside outside but they definitely prefer it undcover. Though I bet Tonks love to sun themselves unlike the Nordic beasts

lullabydream likes this.
  9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I have to second a barrel.........
    I did wonder when I bought Meeko's barrel whether I was wasting my time but it has been my best purchase so far.It is used daily especially for sleeping on at night .It is at least 8/9 years old and still going strong .
    If you do ,in the future ,decide to have one I would advise buying the largest size as I treated Meeko to the slightly smaller one to put in the back room but it ended up being donated to my daughters cat who is less picky ;) :)

ewelsh, lullabydream and huckybuck like this.
  10. Psygon

I will third the barrel. We bought two and screwed them together so it's floor to ceiling. The top bunk is one of the best spots for sleeping in. They really do love it. It's one of the only cat towers that all of ours actually use as a scratching post too.

Forester, lullabydream and buffie like this.
  11. huckybuck

huckybuck Cat Chat long lost friend

I’d still recommend a barrel - my lot don’t use the hidey holes all that much or use it as a scratch post either but as a lookout bed it is in use constantly. There is often a rush in the morning to see who can get on it first - if only the HBs had beach towels :Hilarious

lullabydream likes this.
  12. lullabydream

Wow bargain @GrimBladder definitely worth a look. Thank you so much for sharing.

Right a barrel is next on my shopping list for when she is exploring more, well when I think she is. Sounds like they are worth their weight in gold.

Purplecatlover and huckybuck like this.
  13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Wish I could get those barrels in the US.

14. Willsee

Willsee PetForums Member

Mine love sleeping and watching me work from their shelves in the office :D

IKEA shelf with a window bed from Zooplus.

my profile picture is them asleep on them and they do like bopping each other on them too :rolleyes:

3DCBFB03-EF20-4328-9283-5859BA188BCC.jpeg

ewelsh, SbanR, TriTri and 2 others like this.
  15. Willsee

Willsee PetForums Member

I really want to do a full climbing wall in the spare room which is also their cat room as there’s the perfect wall but OH is against :(

lullabydream likes this.
  16. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I have just plain basic pine shelves that I painted the wall colour and attached thin foam fleece covered cushions too with sticky velcro, I made the cushions from thin foam I cut to size them covered in cheap fleece blankets. Maudey Cat eats her dinner on her shelf in the bedroom and has a bowl of bedtime biscuits up there too as they are safe from the dogs, the bedroom shelves lead up over the door and onto the top of my wardrobe which is her favourite spot to hang out on her bean bag, the shelves are accessed by a cat tree and in the bedroom she can jump down from the wardrobe onto a tall boy chest and then down onto a barrel, my shelves aren't particularly pretty but they work Monty loved to lounge on shelf before his untimely passing, Maudey likes to use them to get to safe places but she isn't a normal cat my any stretch of the imagination.

Pictures

9C658AAA-C9F6-4969-94A7-4F212B631082_1_105_c.jpeg

8EB05087-1581-407F-A408-2E780B4A674E_1_105_c.jpeg

41A5E58D-CE95-41E2-A0AD-9C98A656F956_1_105_c.jpeg

New tree

F8C11754-1535-44E0-9A1B-432D1DE3C383.jpeg

Bedroom
    E8C99F4B-EF12-4889-8E3E-17210EB8DF0D.jpeg

ewelsh, SbanR, TriTri and 8 others like this.
  17. lullabydream

Thank you @MontyMaude they look good and not obvious.
    Oh and my son had a t shirt with the Banksy Panda I think it's supposedly Banksy, who knows. Son likes Pandas so it seemed fitting.

I don't think Ivy is typical cat, in some ways thinking back to the ones I had growing up and the friends cats

ewelsh and MontyMaude like this.
  18. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

My Maudey cat hates people other than her people, and lives under a blanket on the bed during daylight hours, but at night become a loving dribbly purr monster, she will be 12 this year and no friends or family have ever seen other a mere glimpse through a window or as a lump under the blanket, she used to get very stressed and end up with cystitis and would pee everywhere, but we now have it sorted that she has many hiding spots where she can chill, she runs the house with a iron claw as both the dogs are scared of her.

lullabydream likes this.
  19. lullabydream

When I accidently shut Ivy's wardrobe, currently not using. Ivy went under our duvet. OH was looking all over for her, couldn't understand where she would be... Till he noticed a ball under in the bed but could hardly believe it was there!

MontyMaude likes this.
  20. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

I got somewhat carried away during the latest lockdown.

30AD46C2-E38C-46F8-AC64-8CA76B34D1DA.jpeg

2B8FD438-B200-4B6A-985F-6211A6362CBE.jpeg

I now wish I’d reduced the difference in height between the different levels because Dylan won’t move vertically. Unfortunately I’ve had to drill 48 holes in the wall to create this arrangement so am reluctant to make even more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice