Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Scratching Problem

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Passman86, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Passman86

Passman86 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

Its been a while since I posted in here, so here is a quick update.

Me and the girlfriend moved in together back at the start of May with our 2 little fuzzballs, Lola and Jade, in tow.

They have their own bedroom with cat tree, bed, toys galore and a nice big house to run around in. But we have one major problem which is just getting worse.

During the night and the day when we are away at work, we shut all the doors upstairs bar their bedroom, obviously. This includes our bedroom, the bathroom and my "Man Cave". They have a tendency to chew wires and they would have a field day with my PC and games consoles.

And this is where the problem is, they always want to get in to these rooms. Whether they know we are in there or not, they will scratch at the doors and the carpet by the doors incessantly. If we are in the bedroom, such as trying to have a lie in, like I was trying this morning, they will scratch and scratch until we physically get out of bed and tell them off. Now the worst part. When we are both away at work, that is when the real damage happens. If we aren't there to stop them, they just keep going, so much so that Lola (the older one) has worn a nice hole in the carpet by our bedroom door. I tried putting some of that plastic, high traffic area, sheeting to cover the area by the doors, but they scratch so hard that just moves and they have access to the carpet. Safe to say, we will not be getting our deposit back now if we ever have to move out. So, basically, all I would like is advice from any of you on how to stop this getting any worse. Have any of you had similar problems?

[​IMG]

They are both lovely cats, and always happy to see us. They always sit by the front door when we come home from work and say hello with a cute meow. But this is starting to drive us both mad, as the house always looks a mess with all the carpet fibres scattered everywhere.

We tried leaving the bedroom door open to see if that helped, but little Lola managed to find my ear plugs and thought it would be a good idea to see how one tasted. Several hours later, her stomach decided no, it wasn't. On my work shoes.

Anyway, any help is appreciated, thank you for reading my wall of text. If you didn't read it. Cats have destroyed the carpet upstairs, how can we stop them from doing it more?

2. Passman86

Passman86 PetForums Newbie

Also, I have tried trimming their nails, but that ended up with me looking like I had tried to have a fight with Freddie Kruger. In fact, I still have a scar from Lola she hated it that much.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Passman, good to hear your little poppets are doing well:)

The problem with cats is they absolutely hate closed doors, especially if the doors are to rooms where they are usually allowed to go. The only success I have ever had in preventing carpet scratching in front of closed doors is by keeping one room (the spare bedroom) off-limits from the start and never wavering. As my cats have never been allowed in there, they lost interest fairly soon, and have not scratched at the carpet in front of the door.

However, there are times when I need to keep them out of the kitchen or sitting room, which are rooms where they are normally allowed access. I've found the only thing that's worked is to have hardwood floors in those areas, so there's no carpet for them to scratch, (in the sitting room I have large rugs on a hardwood floor). I am not sure how well this would work for you with your house being a rented property.....

I have read that some people find putting down tin foil (baking foil) to protect the carpet in front of the doors sometimes works, as cats hate it, but you would need too fix it to the floor to stop it getting moved. Might be worth a try, but it will not exactly look too wonderful as a permanent feature:D

Other people seem to have success with putting Bitter Apple spray on the carpet near the doors, but I have not found it works that well myself.

Note: you can wrap all the electrical wires in baking foil to stop the cats chewing them. This is definitely effective.

Your cats are trying to get the doors open to the rooms partly because they think you might be inside, (as you often are:)) and they want your company.
    From this POV it might be better to find a way of making the rooms (or some of them) safe so you can leave the doors open when you are out, so your cats can see you are not hiding from them.:)

It might mean putting more stuff away in cupboards or drawers (at least until the cats are older and calmer) before you go out, and unplugging all electrical equipment, as well as protecting wires with foil.

I think somehow it is going to be a matter of compromise, one way or another:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice