Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat scratching carpet under the door!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Jackie Rockwell, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Jackie Rockwell

Jackie Rockwell PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone,
    So I have 2 cats in my household, Aiden, who roams the house because he was here first, and Squanchy, who I leave in my room because I haven’t had the time to introduce them the right way. So Squanchy scratches up my carpet under the door when I leave the room. He’s pulled up the carpet and continues to scratch at the door when I leave. I tried putting a pillow in front of the door so he can’t get to the carpet there, but he still gets to it.

Is it just because he’s needy and wants me in the room? Or is he dying to get out? I’m afraid of letting him out of the room because Aiden is bigger, older, has been in fights before and of course is going to fight for his territory.

Is Squanchy doing this because of a behavioral issue or because he’s needy?
    I don’t know what to do and how to make him stop.

also I’m on a budget so I can do any home tricks anyone might have to share.

thanks in advanced.

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

How long have you had Squanchy / how old is he and how long has this situation been going on for.?
    You say you havnt had time to introduce them properly but if that is the case why did you decide to take on another cat , you cant just leave them like this.
    Poor Squanchy is obviously distressed at being shut in your room so you will have to try to find time to do proper introductions so that if they are going to get on (which they may not) they can learn to accept each other.

chillminx likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with buffie. You need to find the time to gradually introduce Aiden and Squanchy to each other. It is not fair to leave Squanchy shut in a room on his own when you are out. No wonder the poor fellow is scratching your carpet to pieces!

buffie likes this.
  4. Jackie Rockwell

Squanchy will be 2 years old in March. Aiden is my moms cat and because of my financial issues I had to move back in with her. I’ve had him since he was 10wks. This was even happening when it was only me and him in my apartment. I’ve brought him everywhere with me. From a bedroom, to a studio apt, to a 1 bd apartment, and now here.

Even in the 1 bd apartment if I closed the door he would scratch up the carpet if I left for work. So this has been on and off.

also I work 3 jobs just to get by, so that’s why I don’t have a lot of time.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Is there a reason why your mother cant help to introduce Aiden and Squanchy ? This situation is doing neither of the cats any favours .
    It isn't really all that time consuming if you both work together on it although after all this time I wouldn't be too certain of success.

6. Jackie Rockwell

She’s out of the country.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Cats do not like closed doors. Particularly if they are separated from their owner by a closed door. The internal doors in my house are left open all the time because of the cats. The outer doors (front door and back door) have tough door mats in front of them, with hard floors underneath, so the cats can't do any damage if they scratch near the outer doors.

If you are planning to live with your mom for longer than another couple of weeks, you will need to introduce the two cats to each other, so they can share the house between them. I am sure your mom, being a cat lover herself, will not expect you to keep Squanchy shut in your room.

It's possible to buy transparent plastic matting to put in doorways to stop cats damaging carpet, but the problem is that Squanchy may simply pull and scratch at the carpet behind the plastic matting, as he is doing it to express his frustration at being shut in.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If she's not there then presumably your mom is happy for you to do what is necessary to introduce the cats. So, divide the house in two with a temporary cat proof barrier and let each cat have their own half while you try introducing them. At least Squanchy won't get so stir crazy if he has access to more than one room.

9. Jackie Rockwell

Well if I have the time of course I would. If I had the help, of course I would want my mom to help but she’s out of the country and I’m by myself. If I had the money I would buy the things you’re recommending.

sadly I’m not able to do that but I can’t leave Squanchy behind. I cannot give him up. But I just want him to stop damaging my moms carpet. Even if that means I need a quick fix for now. I’m not planning on staying here long. But people keep telling me I need to get rid of him and that’s just not an option for me. Everyone thinks I’m unfit to be a cat owner because he’s stuck in a room, or because I didn’t introduce him to a cat that he won’t be with very long.
    People say this is silly, but I didn’t save him. He saved me. So please just give me a quick fix that’s not expensive so my mom doesn’t rip my head off and make me replace all her carpets.

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I think that Squanchy will continue to pull and scratch the carpet as long as he is shut in one room. It is normal behaviour for a cat to do that.

The only inexpensive 'quick fix I can suggest is to take the carpet in your bedroom up, and store it (rolled up) in one of the other rooms while you're living there, and then Squanchy can't damage it. At least then you'd only have to pay your mom for the cost of a carpet fitter to come in and re-lay the carpet after you move out. Instead of you having to pay your mom for new carpet.

The link below is the transparent plastic stuff for putting in doorways, to protect carpets, but it may not work in your situation. Taking up the carpet for now is a better solution.

https://www.amazon.com/CarPET-Scratch-Stopper-30-Scratching/dp/B00D00MXZ2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=28CMGC0EMHHBP&keywords=doorway+carpet+protector&qid=1572739599&sprefix=doorway+carpet+,aps,214&sr=8-2

Some people use the cheap sticky tape deterrent, but I have not heard of it being very successful.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3QWFPH/ref=dp_cerb_1

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I understand Squanchy means a lot to you, and I expect he is very attached to you too. I am not suggesting you give him up, but that you try and find ways to help him feel more at ease in your temporary home.

Protecting your mom's carpets from claw damage is a good idea, but your friend Squanchy's frustration needs addressing too. Is he ever allowed out of that one room at all?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice