Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat scratching at ears

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by legplant, May 14, 2020.

1. legplant

legplant PetForums Newbie

Hi there! This is my first post on this forum.
    My cat, Misty who is 7-8 months old now has recently been scratching at her ears so much that there is a bald patch on each one! I have attached a photo.
    There is no wax or anything inside the ear.
    Does anyone know what this is?
    Thanks in advance,
    legplant

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @legplant - Have you treated Misty for possible ear mites? They're too small to see with the naked eye, but usually the inside of the ear is dirty looking.

If it is not ear mites then it could be a food allergy. Food allergies are one reason for itchy ears in cats.

What foods do you feed her ?

Can you contact your vet and send them the photo of her ear? The vet may prescribe some steroids to calm down the itching. It would be better if the vet can see your cat in person, but I am not sure if vets are back work normally now, or still only seeing emergencies.

However, your kitten will be in a lot of discomfort and IMO she can't be left like this, so from that POV I think the vet should see her a.s.a.p. today.

3. legplant

legplant PetForums Newbie

Thanks @chillminx, I do believe it to be an allergy as the inside of her ear is perfectly normal and clean. We feed her Purina gourmet meat, and go cat kitten. What I think may be the cause is giving her dreamies after lunch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice