Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat scratched eye

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Laney_Lemons, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

Hi

Gus ran up to a cat which we didn't see and got scratched :( his eye is constantly watering and is slightly swollen.. no blood thank goodness but the colour of his eye is a different as well, like cloudy ... reading a previous thread this could be inflammation.

Rang vets twice panicking and he has reassured me that he will be fine and they explained to just leave it alone And to come straight in to have a check over in the morning time

Just stressing, has anyone had this before?

I'll prob have him sleep beside me tonight :(

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

He could develop a corneal ulcer as a result of a scratch to his eye.

Your Vet will be able to check for that.

Laney_Lemons likes this.
  3. Laney_Lemons

Could he lose his sight or am I jumping the gun?

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Very unlikely.

A scratch to the eye can often cause a corneal ulcer. These do heal, but take a little time.

It's understandable that you're worried, but I don't think for one moment his sight will be affected.

Laney_Lemons likes this.
  5. Laney_Lemons

Thank you so much

He has it open and is in ok form, we will just keep an eye on tonight and nip to vets tomo am.just with an eye we are stressing

He might think twice about cats now

6. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Eeeesh... cat scratches can be pretty serious... they can go full thickness and penetrate through into the eye itself.

Make sure you get him in ASAP in the morning. Hopefully it's just a surface scratch.

I have to say, if this was a human eye it would be deemed an emergency and I tend to lean that way myself.

7. Laney_Lemons

He will be going at 9 am sharp

Yeah it didn't sound good, I can see a nick on the side of his eye near the tear duct.. yeah we thought flip we better get to vets but vet was calm and went through details and said he would be ok to morning aslong as nothing changes

He's lying licking his paws loads, he's maybe a little agitated as its sore or uncormfortable

8. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

It probably is very sore. I'd probably not give him any breakfast, just on the off chance he needs something doing. Hopefully it's not too serious, poor chap!

Cat claws can be very nasty because of the 'hook' on the end IYSWIM.

Laney_Lemons likes this.
  9. Laney_Lemons

:(

Thanks everyone, it's put me a little as ease just talking about it and he's now snoozing

They really do cause such worry :confused:

10. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Hope all's well, we get a lot of this type of injury and they can be pretty nasty.
    The fact you say the eye has changed colour is a bit concerning as that would indicate a break in the cornea or severe inflammation resulting in glaucoma. The last few cases we have seen have resulted in full blown cataract surgery as the lens has also been damaged.
    These injuries are an emergency and am surprised your vet was not more proactive and insisted on seeing you at the time of your initial phone call?

Laney_Lemons likes this.
  11. Laney_Lemons

It went a like an odd cloudy colour.. and was watering quite alot

Its ok now, eye looks back to normal and no watering, he settle last night and not a peep from him and hes not rubbing it ... its still a little swollen and appointment at 6pm to get him checked out properly

I rang the out of hours immediately when it happened, as i panicked as Cat scratches can be lethal.. He asked me a good few questions like if there was any blood etc, which there wasn't thank goodness and he advised that to just keep an eye on it, not to poke at it to get warm cotton wool and lightly clean it, and bring him in tomorrow.

12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

How did he get on at the vets? I'm with @Ceiling Kitty, eyes are always a ''code red'' for me and off to vets immediately.

My dog lost an eye last year due to a corneal ulcer (not caused by a cat scratch I might add) - they're so nasty.

13. Laney_Lemons

Hes going tonight at 6pm ... Yeah I panicked but Vet was calm and what i described he seems ok with and just told us to get appointment tomorrow, put wet cotton wool on it gently and if it doesnt settle down down to ring again, but it settled and he snoozed away, no rubbing and watering stopped.

OH is with him all day so he will keep an eye on him until he gets to vet tonight. :)

14. Laney_Lemons

They done a dye test and all came back normal :) so he got lucky!

OH took him so not sure what it entailed.. he got some eye drops to help with pain as he's just slightly squinting now so he's prob still uncomfortable

Just another question, he got his booster as well and we asked for worming and flea drops .. with his eye and booster I was going to wait a week or so before giving these too him? Would this be the best course or maybe it won't matter .. just conscious he has lots of chemicals going into his body...

Can I give the worm and flea at same time?

Of course OH didn't question:rolleyes:

15. welshdoglover

welshdoglover PetForums Senior

My dog managed to scratch his eye while out walking a few months ago, so off to the vet we went and he had antibiotic eye drops and some eyelube. Miraculously, it all heeled after a week or so but I have noticed his eye has started to cloud over, which I have started a thread on.

16. Laney_Lemons

Wait to see what the vet says .. you must be really worried :(

I have no experience atall to give only just wait and see what's going on with him

they are such a worry

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I always keep a bottle of Optrex infected eye drops in the fridge, just in case of accidental scratches. That way, I can start treatment before I can get to a vet.
    A tip - don't tell the chemist it's for a dog. It's not licensed for animal use and they'd rightly refuse to sell it. Make your own eye red by rubbing it, then go in and say it's been like that a few days and seems to be getting worse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice