UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry ive started a new thread incase people dont read my old one.
as im taking my queen for a scan tomorrow and i have never done this after kittening, the vets always came out, do i take her 3 babies with her or leave them at home on a heat pad.
i will only be half an hour but not sure whats best.:)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I took Nikita's babies with me yest when she went for a scan and her temp checked but i decided not to take them today when i went to pic her up because with me not having my own transport i thought it was a bit too much for them. I hope your girl goes on ok. xx

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
sorry i don't know what would be best but i wanted to wish you all luck for today.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've never had to do this thank goodness, but I think I'd take kits with a heat pack if Mum is happy to stay still in the carrier with them. If she is stressed in the carrier I would leave them at home, I wouldn't worry about them left with a heatpack, so just go by what suits Mum best I guess.

Hope all goes well

:)

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
I have only once taken young kittens in. The mum needed stitches removed after a c-section and as they'd been born there I thought it would be nice for the staff to see them. I organised with the receptionist that I would be taken straight through so not left in the waiting room - all good. Then the vets and nurses came. No amount of me telling them NOT TO TOUCH stopped them. They wouldn't even stop to wash their hands. Eventually I got hold of one nurse's unwashed hand and pulled it out of the carrier. I was furious and I never went back there. I'd never take kittens in with a mum now. The potential for infection is huge.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thankyou for all your views.
Havoc, you have pointed out the obvious to me and if i wasnt feeling so tired maybe i would have realised that i do have to sit in the waiting room maybe with cats who have flu.
so i will leave the babies at home, i would never forgive myself if i lost this baby to infection especially as i wash my hands almost 30 times a day.:)

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quick question, if there is a dead kitten inside mum does this automatically become a neuter or can an injection be given to expell the kitten?
i just want to know my options hopefully before i have the vets today.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Your girl will almost certainly need a c-section to remove the kitten if there is one. I'm a little unclear on how long after a girl actually giving birth that oxytocin may be given with a chance of if it still working (i.e. to induce the uterus to contract and expel its contents) but if it's several days since she gave birth then a section is the only option, I'm pretty sure.

I can't see any reason why she would need to be spayed if they find her uterus to be healthy... unless it was your choice to spay her as a result of kittening problems this time around.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good news today. my kitten with the injured eye will be fine, he will have 95% vision so thats lucky for him.

my queen had 2 small placenta's where kittens didnt form and an injection was given, she expelled these at the vets and has come back home to her babies but need to be on antibiotics for 5 days.
if they had of been formed kittens then a c-section would have been needed but luckily they was so small the injection worked.:)

G

·
That's great news. Hope she enjoys a speedy recovery and good luck to her and her fluffy bundles. I wish I was in the position to inquire about one right now!

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's great news. Hope she enjoys a speedy recovery and good luck to her and her fluffy bundles. I wish I was in the position to inquire about one right now!
thankyou, her kittens are already booked for lovely homes.
as i only breed my girls once a year i will have a nice long break until october.:)

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
i'm really pleased everything went well at the vets for both of them. brilliant news about the kittens eye and i'm really pleased that your cat can go back to looking after her babies and not needing the trauma of a c-section. i bet you are so relieved for all concerned:)

G

·
thankyou, her kittens are already booked for lovely homes.
as i only breed my girls once a year i will have a nice long break until october.:)
Yes I saw the silver boy's parents have been waiting for him for a long time! How excited are they gonna be! Have you told them yet??? :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.