Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cat Safety

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by gizmothemog, Apr 13, 2019.

1. gizmothemog

gizmothemog PetForums Newbie

Hello
    you know the oil reed diffusers? the air fresheners? i’ve accidentally spilt one on my drawer. i’ve cleaned it the best i can but it still smells. i’m worried sick it’ll cause harm to the kitten. i’ve dried it and put a towel over it so it can’t irritate his skin but i’m worried about his nose. will it be ok? i’m gonna scrub it with some detergent tomorrow and i’ve got the window open (as far as i can without the cat getting through)

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

As long as its dry your cat will be fine :)

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@gizmothemog - he should be fine, but I wouldn't use any oil diffusers or plug in air fresheners now you have a kitten. They all contain strong essential oils or chemicals many of which are toxic to cats and could affect their lungs if they breathe them in.

lorilu likes this.
  4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I agree with @chillminx. I don't use them at all, cats are very sensitive to essential oils and breathing them in can cause respiratory and other problems Can you keep him away from where it was spilled until the smell has gone?

lorilu likes this.
  5. gizmothemog

gizmothemog PetForums Newbie

I’ve scrubbed it three times now, once with washing detergent. The spill is next to my bed (where he sleeps with me, he’s clingy at bedtime). The smell is dispersing and i’ve put the oil diffuser next to the window (which is always open) as to sparse out how much is coming in.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Really hun I would dispose of the oil diffuser, (perhaps give it to a friend) or at least dismantle it and put it away in a cupboard. They are awful things to have around cats, and as Charity has said they can cause respiratory problems in cats.

lorilu likes this.
  7. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

I don't use anything like that at all, are there pet safe pleasant smelly things?

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I haven't come across any. Personally I open a window if there is a bad smell, and it dissipates in no time.;)

9. Quartermass

I'm 2 floors up and I don't trust Johnny not to finally jump after one of the birds he constantly climbs the windows trying to get to!

10. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I had child safety catches fixed to my windows before I brought Ollie home. You could get some for your windows?

chillminx likes this.
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Ah yes, cats love an open window! :D

I have Flat Cats Safety Mesh on the upstairs windows, so I can leave the windows open all day in hot weather without the cats climbing out. The stuff is not cheap but is well made and lasts years.

http://www.flat-cats.com/

Quartermass likes this.
  12. Quartermass

I think I'd feel like the old lady who swallowed a fly!

I live on a busy main road and I'm generally clean, having a wash every month whether I need it or not, so I'll do without and keep my windows clear. The air outside is generally less clean than the air inside.

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Did the old lady have mesh on her windows? I don't remember that! :D

Yeah, the traffic fumes on a main road, drifting in through the mesh would not be pleasant, I agree.

Quartermass likes this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Plain white vinegar in a shallow bowl will remove odors safely.

Quartermass likes this.
  15. Quartermass

lorilu likes this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oops I misunderstood lol. I can't stand smells of any kind, especially in my home. I did look at the link. The crock pot idea is okay but I wouldn't use those home made mists around cats. Alcohol being toxic to cats.

Just remember that any smells in the house, the cats have to be smelling them too. So think about what a cat might not like to smell. Most cats are adverse to citrus, for instance. You could test things before you put them in your crock pot simmer. Give kitty a whiff and watch his or her reaction first, before putting it in the pot..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice