Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Runs & Cat Proofed Gardens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MoggyBaby, Dec 28, 2011.

1. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @acav and welcome :)

The usual rule Local authorities have about fencing height is they can be as high as 6 feet, but no higher. But I am not sure that would apply to fencing a 1st Floor terrace and having a slatted wooden fence at 6 ft high could look quite overwhelming and unsightly from a neighbour's perspective. So I can understand why your neighbour has objected.

Could you not have the mesh fencing that is much less visible and intrusive? e.g the kind made by Purrfect Fence UK? You would need the sloping part at the top, but the upright mesh could be a bit lower than 6 ft (say 5 ft ) and still give adequate protection.

Another solution would be to have mesh fencing but move it well back from the edge of the terrace so it is barely visible to the neighbours. Your cat would still have a catio and could sit out and get fresh air.

https://purrfectfence.co.uk/pages/sample-layouts

2. acav

acav PetForums Newbie

Yes, I am going to look into it, thanks a lot for both suggestions. To be honest, I thought Katzecure would be aesthetically nicer than the upright mesh but that's an option I could discuss with the council should they still push-back. The alternative could be submit a planning application. The planning enforcement officer is of the opinion that it wouldn't pass but two neighbours are in favour (with one against) and they have approved one ugly PVC extension on the terrace next door as well as a quite ugly project for an additional terrace upstairs so I hope there are margins of success. But we'll see. In the end, what matters is that our cat can get some fresh air and we can enjoy the terrace together.

chillminx likes this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Goodness the cat fence looks so much nicer than the old fence, what's your neighbor's problem? Just being a jerk for the sake of it? I hope you can fight this. Your only other option would be to install a free standing run type of thing, totally enclosed I mean. You can have a look though this thread many people have done that.

4. love all my animals

love all my animals PetForums Newbie

hi everyone. we got a kitten on the 15th of august and he is only 10wks old yet but already i cannot bear the thought of him getting injured or killed by being free roaming. Ive read this thread from start to finish which has took me two days with researching every idea posters have come up with or used.

i was going to have him strictly indoors but i cannot do that because the back door is constantly open for the dog and a french lop that goes in the garden when he wants (when we are home and only through the back door).
    I already have 2 big shed and aviary set ups for 2 sets of buns outside which i built, so building a catio isnt an option either.
    Ive today ordered the restraint straps and plastic garden mesh to do a diy version of the protectapus system.
    The only thing im struggling to picture is doing the corners. I will post some pics tomorrow of the fence and garden to see if anyone who has done this diy can take some pics of the corners of their set ups so i can visualize it.

I need this up as soon as my supplies come because i am constantly on high alert with the back door. everyone is so used to the back door being pinned open all the time and im constantly up and down with the the bun going out. I close the kitchen door too so the rabbit can let himself back in but obviously he cannot close if after himself lol..
    Thankyou for reading this long winded post and you can tell how worried i am about getting this up and right the first time, its 3.35am here and im researching cat proofed gardens:Bookworm

5. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I hope kitty will be friendly to the rabbits! I would build something more secure for your lop as kitty grows bigger to prevent any accidents ;)

6. love all my animals

i have 11 buns lol.. 4 in a shed/aviary, 3 in shed/aviary, two dwarf lops that have the dining room with lods on levels and space, plus a continental giant and french lop that go where they want.
    bleu the french lop is trying to put the cat in his place but im not letting them have unsupervised time together. Its a big adjustment i must admit.
    to make things harder the labrador is fully blind and so is the continental giant lol.. I also have guinea pigs. Its like ive got a massive food chain going in my house.
    Ive had success bonding all the other animals together and im hoping i can get bleu to even just ignore the cat eventually we have spoilt bleu really, he behaves more like a dog. He even comes out into our cul de sac with me to eat everyone weeds for them. He is very jealous of the cat.
    Wish me luck guys i think i will need it lol..

7. love all my animals

15993196859706532416045918817786.jpg 15993196859706532416045918817786.jpg 15993197425586503395859357019805.jpg 15993197797737288808316120707909.jpg 15993198197241150934262355113034.jpg 15993198422296062015536494787754.jpg Just took some pics of the garden. Take no notice of the black bin bags near the gate, that's for a top run tomorrow. Has you can see I've got corrugated plastic on my aviaries with an over hang and corrugated plastic on the side. My main concern is the corner where the 2 fences join, one is higher than the other. As you can see I had set the garden up as an outside play area for the buns but now want it to be for storm (cat) too

8. love all my animals

My materials have come and the brackets are up. Will post pics of it finished. 15996457290886863415446772334594.jpg 15996457753981813825164552805224.jpg 15996458181713799646779043983457.jpg 15996457290886863415446772334594.jpg 15996457753981813825164552805224.jpg 15996458181713799646779043983457.jpg

Tigermoon, ChaosCat and Treaclesmum like this.
  9. Britt

Britt In love with Roucky

I bought a cat run of 6m on 3 with a cat hotel and a handmade natural cat tree. Now another question: where to put the cat flap?

10. Mistys Mum

Mistys Mum PetForums Member

Mine goes through the wall of my lounge, we have a tunnel. There was no option as we have patio doors.

Britt likes this.
  11. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

Same here my catflap goes though the wall in my conservatory through a sleeve (tunnel), that way I dont have to keep opening and shutting the patio door

TriTri and Britt like this.
  12. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Does anyone have a catio that isn’t attached to their house but built in the garden so their cats can “go out” for a set period of time?

We have a bit of time to think about this because our kittens are only 13 weeks.

But to explain. I think our garden would be impossible to cat proof. It’s about 100ft long, with low walls either side, one wall has a huge hedge growing in front of it but there are gaps. The back 16ft is fully grown over with large trees and shrubs and the fence at the end of it between us and the neighbour is just a basic wire fence (because the trees/ shrubs provide the barrier/privacy). I’m pretty sure that a fox or badger lives in it occasionally as well.

We then also have a “front garden” which runs from the back to the front of the house that’s on top of a retaining wall - so when you are stood in the front garden you are above street level.

To completely cat proof the garden would be a huge amount of work and I think pretty impossible, but we also don’t have anywhere on the side or back of the house where we could install a catio next to a window so the cats had free roam to go outside.

13. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@mrsfarq - have you considered freestanding fencing for part of the garden, then you wouldn't need to worry about using the existing fencing or about overhanging trees.

Free standing fencing could be accessed by the cats from the house by a tunnel . A catio could also be accessed by a tunnel from the house, perhaps from a window or from a cat flap on the back door.

I wouldn't recommend a freestanding catio which the cats can't access from the house independently, because freedom to come and go as they please is an important part of their enjoyment of a catio or a cat proofed garden, The chances are with a catio which they have to be taken to, and shut in, is that they will constantly be demanding to come back indoors.

Free standing fencing by Purrfect Fence UK

jenny armour and koekemakrank@ like this.
  15. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

5981E5DD-527B-4871-9AE6-4D458CFBE7C8.jpeg
    We have a mixture of fence mounted brackets and the freestanding cat fence from protectapet as my garden is too big and has trees and hedge on the boundary of our garden in parts. Not in this house but the kittens would go out in the garden with Mum, in the summer it was much cooler to have a nap in the log store.

16. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

Yes this makes sense, I hadn’t thought about them accessing it independently.

I think we could make a covered walkway from one of the windows on the stairs over to the front garden, like a covered bridge and then a covered run into a catio built next to / around our freestanding garage.

Thank you for the link, I’ll have a look at free standing fencing and see if we could do something different.

chillminx likes this.
  17. Kickers

Kickers PetForums Newbie

Has anyone had any experience of underground cat fences like catfence? I need to enclose the garden but fencing is too big 1 acre!

Thanks

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I believe that's the fence that gives the pet a small electric shock (using static) if they get close to the barrier. This is not something I would ever use to contain a cat. Apart from being unacceptable to give my cat any kind of electric shock, I am afraid the reaction of a startled cat would be to run out of the garden at top speed and hide somewhere inaccessible to me.

If your garden is too large to enclose it, then just enclose part of it for your cat with free standing fencing. Fence in the part of the garden nearest the house, so the cat can have free access to the enclosure through a cat flap on the back door, or on a window.

e.g. free standing fencing -

Other makes will offer something similar no doubt.

19. Kickers

Kickers PetForums Newbie

Ok thanks for the recommendation I will have a look. Just curious but does deer fencing keep them in? I think the free standing fencing will probably tangle up with the local deer population and I could also fence the garden with deer fencing

20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The mesh used is similar to deer fencing, but perhaps firmer. I needed some extra mesh when cat proofing my garden and the stuff I bought was deer fencing as I recall.

I am sorry I have no experience of keeping deer out of the garden - would they get tangled in mesh fencing if is firmly fixed to the ground at the bottom? Purrfect Fence (whose kit I bought) is an American company so they will be used to fencing for deer. You could email them and ask them if their fencing will be a problem with roaming deer getting tangled in it.

https://purrfectfence.co.uk/pages/contact-us

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice