Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Runs & Cat Proofed Gardens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MoggyBaby, Dec 28, 2011.

1. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

@TriTri Is your cat pen going to be attached to the house or accessed via a tunnel with cat flaps ? not that it really matters, I'm sure one exit/entry will be enough.
    One thing to remember to include is an airlock system so that you can enter the run without any chance of escape.

I used to think that Meeko wouldn't use outdoor trays but as you will see from my reply to @Psygon I was mistaken and made to look like prize numpty when I thought he was constipated.

I agree lighting is a must , Meeko has 2 static floodlights down one side of his run mounted on the garden fence and a sensor motivated one at the end of his tunnel as he likes to sit out in the dark especially in warmer weather but me being paranoid I need to know he's okay :oops:
    Also in the winter months it means his time outside isn't limited to daylight hours.
    If there is anything else I can help with give me a shout .

TriTri likes this.
  2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Thank you! The pen is attached to the house and also part of a detached garage. I can’t have a cat flap in the particular window overlooking the pen (any other window would have been ok), so she is having a cat flap in the wall, with a tunnel. There will be a gate leading into it from the garden (& a further gate to access the garage and driveway). It’s not the end of the world if she gets out and into the garden, when I open the gate. If I’m in the garden, which I am a lot, she can come out, if she wants, but I think she will prefer the pen. It’s quite difficult for her to get out of the garden and there’s little or no passing traffic. If she uses the pen overnight, I’ll consider adding an extra door, a security door. Until I get lighting added, I’ll just have to put the kitchen diner lights on, that overlook it & use a phone torch, but that probably won’t do long term. She’s elderly and quite ill and I’m hoping it will add a bit to her life expectancy.

#1402 TriTri, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    buffie likes this.
  3. TriTri

Here’s Tessy & Max now ❤️
    6904908D-8119-4559-8E93-E8550A0A56D0.jpeg

ewelsh and buffie like this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

How on earth do they get in it? I can't imagine a cat wanting to use something like that. Even as a once in a while scenario,.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I wondered that too as it doesn't look particularly user friendly.
    I had a look at the product and it would seem the entry is as follows...............

Link not working I'll take a screen shot

6. TriTri

Initially I thought that, it’s 41.5 cm high & my cat is tiny. It’s the only one I’ve seen suitable for a pen open to the elements! I wouldn’t like the wind to blow a hooded litter box door open and have the door slap her bottom when she’s in it! I dug a wonderful litter area in the garden inside a giant laurel and filled it with 3 large bags of compost; bad idea, they wouldn’t use it. I then tried adding cat litter and mixing that in and eventually it got damp and clay-y!

Attached Files:

buffie likes this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

TriTri likes this.
  8. TriTri

Little Tessy could stand up in it and arch her back too I would think. She’s never so much as wee’d outside, so I’m expecting her to use her indoor trays. I thought this might be useful should Max ever to decide to block her indoor cat-flap at a bad time :Woot. The jury is still out on this at the moment.

9. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I don't like the entrance on those trays. Cats usually like to look out of the doorway whilst using it, to check for other cats. It should have a normal doorway, no flap but a slightly extended plastic hood to keep it dry, not cover it completely!

lorilu likes this.
  10. TriTri

Oh dear, my Sure Flap microchip cat flap has arrived and the box states it reads microchip on entry, but ANY ANIMAL can exit. Not one of my three cats flaps are going to be any good. Surely there is a microchip cat flap on the market that restricts which cats can exit it, does anyone know please? I need Tessy only to be be able to access the pen via the wall tunnel and Max only to be able to exit the other two cat flap areas.

11. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Can you clarify, is Max going to be able to come in through the wall tunnel but you don't want him to go out of it or is he not to have access to this one at all?

I've had a look at the Sureflap website, they've got several models and I assume you've got the basic one which seems to be specifically to keep cats out so only has a reader on the outside enabling your cat to come in but no one else and she would be able to go out at any time unless you manually locked it (that's how I understand it anyway). I think you need the Dual Scan which is for more than one cat but you can register Tessy's chip and she can go in and out but not Max's so he can use the others.

https://www.surepetcare.com/en-gb/pet-doors/dualscan-microchip-cat-flap

I could say more but that would probably complicate things at the moment. :D

TriTri and Treaclesmum like this.
  12. TriTri

Thank you @Charity
    Phew, there is one, that sorts the exiting problem, thank goodness. Don’t worry about complicating things, could you tell me any other options, before I order any more?

The situation is (both cats are microchipped)
    1) I’d like Tessy only to initially have access to the tunnel from the bungalow to the cat enclosure. 2) ideally I would like to be able to adjust the settings if and when required, maybe just Max would use it in winter overnight for example. 3) I would need to be able to manually lock it if required.
    For cat-flap no.2- I would like to set it so that only Max can go out of it, but any cat could get in. If it has additional options, great, and I would again need to be able to manually lock it, so another 4 way microchip cat flap. Cat-flap no 3, probably the same as no.2. Not sure yet about an additional cat-flap to/from pen. Think I’ll sort this out first :Arghh.
    I think the one you mentioned would sort the problem of the 3 exits, but not for re-entering? I’m really after three that could be set to let only programmed cats out, but let any cat in! I hope this makes sense?

13. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Gosh, you're not making it easy are you?. ;) Have you looked at the Staywell ones? I think you will be lucky to find one which, for more than one cat, does only one way and that being out. They are mainly meant to register the chip so they can get in and out.

I haven't got one myself so can't tell you much, I've just gone by the manufacturer's info.

TriTri likes this.
  14. Treaclesmum

Hi, I've just looked into microchip flaps myself.

Yea, most of them will let any cat out but only let microchipped cats in, and I wanted it the other way round. So I turned the flap round! You can either do that or buy a pricey one like he Sureflap connect which only lets cats in AND out through their microchip. However, it all depends where you want to fit it. I wanted mine for the cat run to let Jumpy and Pixie out and in, but not the others. So I've ended up taking the batteries out and just setting manually to in-only, as I was too worried about the rain getting to the batteries. But for an indoor exit, yes just reverse the microchip flap :)

15. TriTri

Thank you @Treaclesmum, I didn’t think I was the only one needing this! I thought of fitting it in reverse & like you thought about the batteries getting wet etc. The whole point is that Tessy can use it 24/7 in the summer without Max and I don’t need to be unlocking cat flaps. If she’s not using it and Max wants to, or later on (when the cat pen has a heated enclosed area added), a rescue cat or cats could use it etc. I also want Max only to access the front garden from the front door etc. The designers have has limited it’s uses.

#1415 TriTri, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Treaclesmum likes this.
  16. TriTri

The dual scan microchip cat flap that @Charity kindly found looks like it would do the job @Treaclesmum :).

17. Treaclesmum

Yes, but maybe not for where I would want to install it! It would be in a mesh panel in my cat run, so the battery section would still be exposed to the rain and if it got wet, it could stop working altogether and be left swinging open for my 2 indoor cats to go running out and be in danger. Great for indoors though! :)

TriTri likes this.
  18. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

As an update. My partner made a wooden litter tray, lined it with landscape fabric and filled it with mud. It's been a huge success with Ted - and CK and Darcy have used it too. So we seem to have a solution! Ted has hardly used the flower pot since this was installed.

IMG_20200515_190809_MP.jpg

19. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Well done Ted's staff :).
    I'm sure your invention has made Ted and his companions happy :D

Psygon likes this.
  20. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

Hi all,

We don't have a garden but we do have a small balcony. We are on the 2nd floor and next to 2 busy roads so anything we build needs to be very secure. There is sadly not enough space to build something enclosed with a roof, so we would need to cat proof the whole balcony. Any ideas? Keen that in the summer he could come out when we are eating outside etc if he wanted to and we would not have to worry, or we could open the door for ventilation and he would have the option of coming and going.

I've attached a photo of our balcony. It is enclosed by a wall that is maybe 5 feet high so we would need to make sure Ash couldn't get onto the wall. and then there's the small area with metal bars we would need to put secure mesh over. It's the wall I can't think of a solution for really!

He is too young just now (not microchipped yet and needs his second round of vaccinations) so we have some time to plan.

Attached Files:

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice