Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Runs & Cat Proofed Gardens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MoggyBaby, Dec 28, 2011.

1. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

No she moved back to the UK about a year or so ago. :)

Treaclesmum likes this.
  2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Thank God!

My cats were acting very nervous of going in the back garden on Monday and Tuesday, and last night I found out why - 2 large foxes outside! I think all the willdife is getting bolder now that many people are indoors a lot more.

TriTri and chillminx like this.
  3. elmarcos

elmarcos PetForums Newbie

Hi Everyone

First time poster here and I don't know whether this is going to sound daft or not but: I am about to build a standalone enclosure for my cats and I wondered for people who don't have them connected to their homes do you carry them in and out or use a carrier to get to and from the house?

Thanks

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Ooohh how exciting! That isn't a daft question at all, it's quite reasonable.

Back in the day when my youngest (now 10!) was tiny and not yet ready to run loose in my protected fenced in yard, I let her come out in her (large dog) crate. I set the crate up in the yard and carried her from the house to the crate in her carrier. When it was time to go back in I opened the door of the crate, put the carrier in front of it and she trotted back into it.

She learned the routine very quickly.

If that isn't practical for multiple cats, could you build a little run for them to take them safely from the house to the enclosure? I think this thread may have pictures of things like that as well.

TriTri and elmarcos like this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I used to take my lad out and back in but found after a while it wasn't practical .When he was in he wanted out and vice versa so in the end we had to build a tunnel to allow him the freedom to decide whether he wanted to be out or in.
    If you can I would try to put your run somewhere that you might be able to connect the run to the house at a later date if necessary.
    This is what we ended up with.............

The original run................

100_1863.JPG

with the tunnel added.................

100_2554.JPG

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

In my experience one of the biggest benefits to indoor cats when they are given an outdoor enclosure is the bit of valuable independence they also acquire to come and go as they please from the house to the enclosure. (at least during daylight hours).

If it is not possible to build the enclosure next to the house (with access for the cats through a cat flap) then making a safe tunnel (from wire mesh and wood) to run from the house to the enclosure is the next best thing. e.g. like buffie has done (see above)

If you are thinking of a very large freestanding enclosure, the size of a small garden perhaps your cats would be happy either being carried out or taken out in their carriers and put in their enclosure. An enclosure the size of a small garden filled with large shrubs, grass, outdoor cat trees, a place to shelter etc. would keep them occupied no doubt and they may not mind being shut in and left there for a couple of hours.

But if the enclosure is going to be small, say 7 or 8 ft square, a similar size to a cat pen, I can't see the cats being happy shut in and left on their own. If you plan to stay with them, the entire time they are in the enclosure, possibly it might be more acceptable to them. But I wouldn't be surprised if they were soon to ask to go indoors.

TriTri, elmarcos and buffie like this.
  7. elmarcos

elmarcos PetForums Newbie

8. Marthamatic

Marthamatic PetForums Newbie

This looks incredible! I wondered how do you get around the problem of twigs and branches falling on top of the enclosure? Do you like regularly remove them? The problem I had is that my enclosure is close enough to a dying fur tree, so there are a lot of small (and not that small) twigs fall on top. Things get more complciated by the fact that they are almost inaccessible without propping up a ladder against a pillar of the enclosure to sweep off all of those twigs. If, however, I don't do this regularly, strong gusts of wind can move the fallen twigs and damage the net.

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Its not obvious from the pic of the run but there are 2 tree's close to it ,a Hawthorn which has been reduced in height recently and also a fairly high Yew tree which sheds needles and broken branches from time to time,especially just now as there are wood pigeons nesting in it.
    I don't have much of a problem clearing the roof of the run as it consists of 16 gauge galvanised wire mesh 1/2 inch by1" it is very strong and is easily cleared of branches, also half of the run has a Perspex roof which prevents anything falling in

10. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I carry them out in my arms, no carry box. They are fine with it and line up at the door waiting to for their turn.

They never ask to come in, I'm the one who tells them I want them in.

elmarcos likes this.
  11. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi @buffie
    I like your pen. I think I read you used 1.6 mm /gauge 16 wire, was that ok? Do you think 2 inch x 2 inch holes would be suitable? Or could an animal stick its paw in and claw my cat? My timber has just arrived and we are ordering the galvanised wire mesh. (Hoping for next day delivery). The cat flaps and mounting adapters are arriving Saturday and my tunnel inners are on their way. I’m hoping the timber frame will be made tomorrow or this weekend. It’s soooo exciting!

#1391 TriTri, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
  12. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Ted has decided that he likes to pee outside. I'm not sure if this is because he's marking his territory from the cats that come in our garden but I suspect it might be.

At the moment, our catio is decked and I obviously don't want him peeing on the wood. He currently stands in a flower pot and pees in that (kind of odd), and I'd like to put a proper outdoor tray for him. I tried a litter tray but he prefers the flower pot... For those that have outdoor litter trays - what do you do?

13. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I have 2 covered trays in my cat run. The run has a Perspex roof, so that usually keeps them dry. I also have a large plastic kennel style shelter in the garden and you could put a normal tray in there. If I manage to secure my garden one day I would do that.

TriTri and Psygon like this.
  14. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Just like Ted , Meeko suddenly decided to toilet outside in his run which initially resulted in a visit to the vets as I thought he was constipated (he was still peeing in the indoor tray ) . I felt a right twit when I found a pile in a corner of his run. :oops: He had a tray out there for months which he never used so I had taken it out .
    As part of his run is covered it is a bit easier to keep a tray protected but I have got round most of the problems by placing his tray under an old pine table which is protected on 3 sides .This seems to be working well as the litter is staying dry and isn't being affected by wet /damp conditions.
    I'm not sure why he is okay with this arrangement as there is absolutely no way he would use any kind of covered tray .
    It is working so well that he now prefers to use his out door facilities although will if desperate use his indoor tray .

15. Psygon

None of our run is covered, so I guess I will try a covered tray and see how he gets on!

Treaclesmum, TriTri and buffie like this.
  16. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hope his lordship appreciates the trouble his staff are going to :).

17. Psygon

Me too! Since we had his stress peeing just before this whole lockdown thing started his toilet habits have changed so we've been adjusting to his new normal. At least he isn't peeing in cupboards any more!

18. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Poor Ted and poor you too , stress is not an easy thing for us or them to deal with.
    Hope you can find away that works for everyone x

Psygon likes this.
  19. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Thank you @buffie
    That’s very helpful; I hadn’t thought about birds flying in. In the end I decided on 1 & a half inches x 1 & a half inches, but if it’s not ordered I may reduce that. If it’s been ordered, we can alter an area of the pen, if need be. I wondered if Tessy might need a second exit, in an emergency? Or is that ott? I could add one later if it bothers me. The builder seems to think it will be fox proof. I think I’ll need some lighting added, as my outdoor light misses the area where the pen is going & I’m hoping Tessy may use it in the evenings or over night during the summer. Tessies climbing days seem over, but she could surprise me & I’ll add shelves etc.

I think she will go indoors to use her litter trays, but I am considering one of these @Psygon:
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/outdoor_cat_trays/588901

C6F476F6-6443-43CC-B21F-67F9CD609845.png

#1400 TriTri, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Psygon and buffie like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice