UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1,201 - 1,220 of 1,598 Posts
I would think you could position the brackets lower down on the fence. However your neighbor might not mind since your efforts will keep your cat(s) out of her garden. :)
My cats are indoors anyway so she never sees them.

They are a load of moaning snobby people round here unfortunately.

In the past when we've had outdoor cats we've had neighbours knocking on our doors complaining that our cat had put muddy paw prints on the newly cleaned car :(

Another neighbour recently told me that she has had to keep her two cats in as she's been bombarded with complaints from neighbours about them.

Sometimes I wish I lived in a detached cottage in the middle of nowhere.

I've been thinking of cat proofing my garden.

Do you have to get a neighbours permission though?

Our next door neighbour is very fastidious about her garden and I know she would not agree to anything that infringed on it.

Looking at many of the cat proofing they appear to be wire mesh that hangs above the garden fence so would be visible on her side.
Agree with @lorilu and @MilleD out of courtesy you could tell your neighbour what you are about to do but it wont encroach on her garden in any way other than "possibly" being visible if she looks over the fence .

IF it's YOUR fence you wouldn't need her permission as the overhang of mesh is into your garden. However, in the interest of good neighbour relationship you might just want to tell her what you're having done
She actually paid for a new fence recently and refused to take any money from us. To be honest would have preferred to pay towards it but she wanted this posh fence up so we just let her do it. It's a shared fence.

She actually paid for a new fence recently and refused to take any money from us. To be honest would have preferred to pay towards it but she wanted this posh fence up so we just let her do it. It's a shared fence.
Then mention it to her, but you can do what you like on your side.

The neighbours at the bottom of my garden asked what happens if they want to replace fence panels, and I just said to give me a shout and I'll unscrew things and then re-screw when they are done. I'm up the hill from those neighbours so I don't think they can see the fencing at all.

You have a beautiful garden. What must you think when I've posted pics of my awful grass?? :oops:
If I showed you the untidy compost part where all cut branches,even the remains of a fallen tree are stacked you might not be so impressed............;) :)
It is shall we say "a mature garden" a bit like its owners and is now fairly self maintaining apart from cutting the grass.

Its such a shame that I cant "securely" cat proof it as Meeko would love it.

Your netting is the same as ours @MilleD, got ours from Roz. We're having ours adjusted by our shed so that the netting stands upright as, although the netting looks too wide, both Bunty and the neighbours cats jump from the shed roof over the netting onto the fence and vice versa. They are so artful and clever.

Your netting is the same as ours @MilleD, got ours from Roz. We're having ours adjusted by our shed so that the netting stands upright as, although the netting looks too wide, both Bunty and the neighbours cats jump from the shed roof over the netting onto the fence and vice versa. They are so artful and clever.
They can't get up onto my shed. Well, my cats can't. I suppose another cat could jump from the fence to the shed and then over the netting on the shed down into the garden, but I do check there is nothing trapped in there before I let them out. Nothing as yet.

Anyone have any advice when another cat gets stuck in your garden?

It's wedged itself down the side of the conservatory after panicking like mad. I've made a gap for it to get out but I can't even tell if it's ok :(

Anyone have any advice when another cat gets stuck in your garden?

It's wedged itself down the side of the conservatory after panicking like mad. I've made a gap for it to get out but I can't even tell if it's ok :(
Shut your own cats indoors with you and leave the garden gates open. The trapped cat will hopefully find its own way out when all is quiet.

Unless you can erect this sort of thing yourself or know someone who can, it normally is expensive. Looks nice tho. I have a large pen for my cats, but when this pen does go (have had it 10 years) am not going for another wooden one as it has to be treated every year, or at least mine does and I have to pay someone to do too

Good thing about this one it at least does have a roof on it, what is the size of it?
I'm not sure of the exact size but its pretty big. Yeah we wanted a roof to try and protect the wood. It's pre treated wood so id hope it would last, plus I wouldn't mind painting it every year if it makes it last longer. Labour is 50% of the price, I wanted to do it myself but I'm not that good at diy

That's where I went wrong with mine, it wasn't roofed and I couldn't reach and wasn't going to do ladders as it was very uneven ground. Since last year I do have a small part of it, roofed in UPVC but still 36 feet of it uncovered
It sounds big. I'm confident that they will make a good job of it but, they've impressed me with the plans it's just the price. I'm going see if they can bring the price down haha fingers crossed

Can you copy the spec and ask a couple of local builders to give an estimate? Small ads in the local paper often have small firms offering 'no job too small' and they can be very reasonable. We've found a lad called Steve and his friend, who did this walling (nothing to do with cats) for us and he was very reasonable as well as being friendly and tidy. Just needed a few cups of coffee and biscuits from time to time .....

Attachments

1,201 - 1,220 of 1,598 Posts