UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Cat Runs & Cat Proofed Gardens

448K views 2K replies 280 participants last post by  AutumnMoon 
#1 · (Edited)
Folks, we have discussed this issue many times, and had many wonderful links posted up, but they are scattered over many different threads which makes locating the info a lengthy & tiresome task.

Therefore, may I suggest this thread for everyone to post their pictures of their own runs (including construction to assist others), pictures & videos of their cat-proofed gardens and also links to good web-sites for cat runs and cat-proofing equipment.

That way, everything is in one place and we can direct people to it when they ask in the future. I will ask for it to be made a sticky so that it is always easily located.

More & more people are looking to take these options so I think it would be a great help for the subject to have its own thread that can be both regularly updated and referred to.

So, please post away with your pics and recommendations. :D

#1,026 ·
I've just had panels made, I'm hoping to put together into a catio. I,m so excited but I don't want to rush it. Just painting the panels, hope to look at assembling gradually from end of the week, lots of ideas, just want to think it through before I go for it but also want my kitten to experience more fresh air!

#5 · (Edited)
could the thread be stickied as well. I've been looking at cat run options for ages am saving up for one.
That is the plan................. :D
See - its not only me that has selective reading MB!!!!!! :D but i do intend on making a new year resolution to read posts :D

These are the ones which i like

http://www.woodenart.org.uk/product...t-Runs,-Cat-Pens-and-Enclosures&revpage=-2976

One day i'll get OH to build one similar hopefully next year!

#7 ·

My garden already had pretty good fencing round so I opted for a home made version of cat proofing.
We used Heavy Duty Restraint Straps 1200 x 150mm Pack of 10 | Screwfix.com these for brackets, pretty sturdy but also easily bent into shape without needing any special equipment.
Netting was something like this
Plastic Deer Fencing Net | Deer Fence | Deer Control Barrier | 1.8m and was secured to the brackets with cable ties ( 100 ). A staple gun was used liberally to further secure the net to the wooden fence.
I have gravel boards or mini walls all round the bottom of the fencing, but that might need extra securing if cats are diggers.
For around 35 linear metres it cost me around £450 including labour ( 2 days )

#937 ·

My garden already had pretty good fencing round so I opted for a home made version of cat proofing.
We used Heavy Duty Restraint Straps 1200 x 150mm Pack of 10 | Screwfix.com these for brackets, pretty sturdy but also easily bent into shape without needing any special equipment.
Netting was something like this
Plastic Deer Fencing Net | Deer Fence | Deer Control Barrier | 1.8m and was secured to the brackets with cable ties ( 100 ). A staple gun was used liberally to further secure the net to the wooden fence.
I have gravel boards or mini walls all round the bottom of the fencing, but that might need extra securing if cats are diggers.
For around 35 linear metres it cost me around £450 including labour ( 2 days )
I really like your idea of using the original fencing the way you did. It looks good and doesn't give the impression of being a "cage". I'm no fan of cage-like constructions that remind me of zoos, but your idea is really nice. I think you'll be an inspiration for others.

#9 · (Edited)
Excellent idea :) we looked for loads while we were researching oscars :) this is not connected to the house yet but hoping by the time summer comes there will be a tunnel to it :)
Here's some construction pics of the one OH made and the finished run also...

Insulated sleeping den hinged from the top so it can be opened in the summer so it's not too hot! It is also double glazed, the insulation is polystyrene between the wood.

It has roofing on half of it so if it rains and they don't want to go in the sleeping den they can go under the covered area

Hubby went out and searched for a fallen tree stump to lead up to the sleeping den then covered it with small border panel logs from wicks

Shelving he made, some of these are now covered in carpet

And swinging hammock

Hubs with his handy work :)

Bridge and tunnel he built

Artificial grass added cos it hurt oscars bad paw jumping up and down on to the concrete I also grew some grass in an old corner litter tray so he had some grass to chew on

It has now had electric sockets added to it so they can have the water fountain outside and hubby is also going to add lighting to it :)

#836 ·
Excellent idea :) we looked for loads while we were researching oscars :) this is not connected to the house yet but hoping by the time summer comes there will be a tunnel to it :)
Here's some construction pics of the one OH made and the finished run also...

Insulated sleeping den hinged from the top so it can be opened in the summer so it's not too hot! It is also double glazed, the insulation is polystyrene between the wood.

It has roofing on half of it so if it rains and they don't want to go in the sleeping den they can go under the covered area

Hubby went out and searched for a fallen tree stump to lead up to the sleeping den then covered it with small border panel logs from wicks

Shelving he made, some of these are now covered in carpet

And swinging hammock

Hubs with his handy work :)

Bridge and tunnel he built

Artificial grass added cos it hurt oscars bad paw jumping up and down on to the concrete I also grew some grass in an old corner litter tray so he had some grass to chew on

It has now had electric sockets added to it so they can have the water fountain outside and hubby is also going to add lighting to it :)
This is AMAZING!

#13 ·
I checked with my local council and they said they only need planning permission if over 8ft high *or* if it impacts on a neighbours boundry line (as it could impact their property/property value)

but check with local councils before building I would guess

the definition of a 'permenant structure' is one that is in place more than 28-40 (depending again on council) days a year so any form of cat proofing would count as permenant

#14 ·
I think that may be a little out of date now - but am prepared to be told I am wrong. In the UK you can check on the Governments planning portal. Certainly if it is in the back garden, outbuildings can be upwards even of 2.5m and huge, as long as they don't cover more than half the area of land around the original house. Unless you live in a National Park or anything.

When I checked I know we were able to build a 12 chalet cattery against 3 neighbours fences over 3m high at the front and would only need planning permission for the change of use to be a commercial cattery. The point was raised at planning commitee that I was within my rights to build the structure for my own use without planning permission even though a neighbour objected to the veiw.

It is detailed on the plannng portal interactive house, click on sheds. Sorry no good at posting links.

Great idea for a sticky, some of those outdoor areas are inspirational.

:thumbup1:

#16 ·
Oh I would love a cat run but I can't see how it would work in my garden. :( I've thought about it a lot but I just can't see it working... garden is really small and we don't have anywhere we could put an access door for them. :frown2: I don't think catproofing the entire garden would work for us either as our walls are so low. If we ever move we will definitely take that into consideration but I can't see us moving... ahhh I am soooo jealous of the lovely cat runs!

#17 ·
Two tips from me which apply especially if you have breeding cats housed outside

1. Any run without a safety door is next to useless - however large it is, you will never safely house more than one cat as you can't grab more than one at a time if they are trying to escape.
2. A completely covered roof is well worth the extra cost - as you will find out when you are standing out there in the pouring rain!

and a third tip which applies to virtually all set ups: don't be tempted to save money by buying a run that is less than full height: getting yourself into it is a total pain in the neck.

Here are mine:

Plant Wood Building Door Mesh

Plant Mesh Fence Mammal Pet supply

Plant Wood Tree Building Grass

Attachments

#18 ·
2. A completely covered roof is well worth the extra cost - as you will find out when you are standing out there in the pouring rain!
We covered half of ours so they got sunshine and a covered bit for in the rain but we now think we are going to do the other half in a clear Perspex roof so it still allows the sunshine through aswell as total cover from the rain :)

#19 ·
Very inspiring :cool:

Does anyone know of a company that makes bespoke runs that you can add to an existing structure like a shed? Any pictures? I suspect the Woodenart company might do that. I have a large fairly new insulated and heated shed and would love to expand that into a run/house for Oscar and Kitty (though I've also been thinking about the possibilty of turning it into pens for foster/feral cats. It's very large so both might be a possibility as long as the occupents can be kept totally separate).

I have zero DIY skills so I'd need it erecting also - somewhat expensive, I suspect :eek::

Reactions: leashedForLife
#20 · (Edited)
this is my new cat run i got it of ebay it was a dog kennel that they changed it for me. now i have wooden cat post in it aswel and looking at maybe some shelves for them to climb on too.www.duchyfarmkennels.co.uk they are in lincolnshire but will deliver all over and erect .

Attachments

#21 ·
Very inspiring :cool:

Does anyone know of a company that makes bespoke runs that you can add to an existing structure like a shed? Any pictures? I suspect the Woodenart company might do that. I have a large fairly new insulated and heated shed and would love to expand that into a run/house for Oscar and Kitty (though I've also been thinking about the possibilty of turning it into pens for foster/feral cats. It's very large so both might be a possibility as long as the occupents can be kept totally separate).

I have zero DIY skills so I'd need it erecting also - somewhat expensive, I suspect :eek::
Happyhutch.co.UK are based near me. They make bespoke hutches, kennels, runs ect and could certainly help. They'll deliver too.
The owner is lovely and the workmanship is top quality. I'd recommend for anything like this

#22 ·
this pen was installed nearly 4 years ago when i first moved to derbyshire. the panels came from a firm in wales called forest kingdom but i wouldnt recommend them as they have since let me down on another order. i had a local carpenter erect it for me.
i have since put more shelving in so must update with pictures. would be great to have an enclosed garden but there is no one who i would recommend to do it.

#25 ·
would love something like that but it really is nearly as big as my garden i think mine will have to make do with something small and ill have to put things on it so they can climb. a covered run sounds great as suggested earlier in the thread but id worry that takes away the outdoor experience for them. you have very lucky kitties