Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat road accident death

Discussion in 'Pet News' started by Cat1646467, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Cat1646467

Cat1646467 PetForums Newbie

I found out this morning that my tabby cat had been killed by a car and was taken to the vets for the owners to find. He was found dead and is currently being held at the vets. I have another cat which was his sibling, however she doesn’t know he’s gone yet. The body isn’t in great condition as the vet said we shouldn’t see him so we can remember him how he was, implying he looks very damaged and hurt. Is it best to let his sibling see the body or not? She hasn’t seemed to notice anything yet as it’s only been a day since he went out but I don’t know when she will notice.

2. Cat_92

Cat_92 PetForums Junior

Oh no!! How sad :( I’m so so sorry.
    Do you have any blankets or toys that your lost kitty was especially fond of? These might help comfort your girl with the loss of her brother.
    I’m not sure whether letting her see him will do her any good, it may just add distress. But I personally don’t have experience of this I’m afraid. Hopefully someone else can post with more insight x

3. Cat1646467

They shared everything and had the whole house to share so unfortunately nothing was specifically his. We have many blankets they both always slept on which I’ll make sure to keep out that will hopefully help. Thank you for the insight x

4. Cat1646467

I also have two bunnies who have been around the cats for just over a year does anyone know how this could effect them? If they would realise or not he’s gone?

5. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

So very sorry for this terrible loss! :(
    You will have to see how it all effects your household.

6. Cat_92

Cat_92 PetForums Junior

Oooh that really is sad :( I’m so sorry for you and your other furbabies. Hopefully together you can find some comfort xx

7. Cat1646467

Thank you xx

Cat_92 likes this.
  8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I am sorry for your loss. I have had mixed outcomes from showing existing pets the bodies of their housemates . On one occasion one cat was completely disinterested in the body (they hadn't liked each other). On anither occasion my remaining male cat was very interested and spent quite a while sniffing her and then moved away and didnt want to engage again (they had been very close). However he was very very depressed and anxious for 3 months afterwards. I am not sure whether not having the opportunity to sniff her would also have led to depression but sniffing her certainly didnt make his grieving experience easier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice