Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat returns to previous home

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Denise Smith, Oct 13, 2021 at 12:46 PM.

1. Denise Smith

Denise Smith PetForums Newbie

I have taken on my parents cat now they have both passed away, he is 5 years old and knows me and my husband very well as we spent a lot of time at my parents. He seemed to settle in to his new home but after a week of going outside he disappeared and 48 hours later turned up at my parent house 2 miles away, since then we have kept him in until we thought he had relaxed but as soon as we let him out, he headed that way again, we have a GPS tracker on him so we can go after him and bring him back, I have other cats and they all get on well and there is no aggressive behaviour from him or the others. I don't want to have to keep him in as I am a great believer in them having some freedom but I have tried everything I know.

2. Yoninah

Yoninah PetForums Junior

How would the new occupants of your parents' house be as cat owners? Do you think they're responsible enough?

3. Willsee

Willsee PetForums Member

Hi the cats protection recommend keeping them in for at least 3 weeks and then follow these guidelines:

Going outside
    It’s important that your cat feels relaxed and secure in their new house before exploring the great outdoors. Some cats
    go missing shortly after moving house because owners have let their cats go outside too soon. These cats sometimes find their way back to their old houses. Cats should be kept indoors for at least three weeks to allow them time to regard the new house as a secure place and to build up a scent profile to help them find their way back.
    When you do let them out:
    • do it just before a mealtime when they are hungry so you
    can call them back with their favourite food
    • open the door and step outside encouraging your cat to go
    with you
    • don’t pick them up – let them make the decision to go
    outside themselves
    • leave the door open so they can run back into the house if
    they feel insecure
    • only let them out for short periods at first – you can
    gradually build up the time they are out until you are confident they can come and go as they please

Hope this helps

4. Denise Smith

5. Denise Smith

I have had many cats and know the normal routine, he was kept in for 1 month and then 6 weeks but this didn't work, I have put his blanket and the litter tray outside, I have taken him out on a harness to try and get him used to the surrounding area but nothing is working and I cant understand why.

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Although outwardly he may appear settled and happy in his new home it is possible that living in what to him is a strange territory already occupied by other cats is stressing him and he doesn't know that his old home is no longer there for him but goes back looking anyway.
    Have you considered cat proofing the garden so that he cant wander off .
    It possibly wouldn't need to be a permanent arrangement , given a few months to establish himself in the house and garden might eventually help him accept this is now his new home.

7. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

As Buffie suggests i would most defo look into cat proofing your garden to keep him safe. There's various ideas on Pintrest and some threads on here too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice